• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting figure to have legs crossed

eclark1894

Visionary
I have a question. I've tried to do this ever since I first started using Poser but, well,it's getting a figure to cross their legs: thusly: I can never do it without the legs intersecting at some point, usually the knee and upper thigh. Has anyone been able to do this without intersecting the mesh? I'm wondering if the upper thigh has to be longer than the lower leg so you can get that draping effect?
1637887982370.png

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have a question. I've tried to do this ever since I first started using Poser but, well,it's getting a figure to cross their legs: thusly: I can never do it without the legs intersecting at some point, usually the knee and upper thigh. Has anyone been able to do this without intersecting the mesh? I'm wondering if the upper thigh has to be longer than the lower leg so you can get that draping effect?
View attachment 71594
Have you tried using the morph tool?

eclark1894

Visionary
The legs WILL intersect at some point because 3D models are "rigid", 3D joints don't bend exactly like in the real world, and there is no "flesh compression" in 3D. I usually consider it acceptable under such conditions.
Yeah, you're right, they will, but now that Janet's given me the idea, a morph may be the answer . It doesn't look quite right when the mesh intersects. That area needs to flatten and bulge.

unreal

Noteworthy
I usually use the morph tool. You have to consider constant volume effect. Human bodies are squishy water balloons stretched over a framework of rigid bones, some of which are not just hinges or sockets but are complex (I'm talking about *you* shoulder).

I use the tool to deflect the mesh inward and to the sides. How much detail depends on camera angles and how close you are. I played with magnets to get a combination I could attach then dial. Pretty sure there is software with simulations that handle some of that. poser isn't one of them. It's more a craft than engineering :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Yet waiting on some updating and conversion of textures and materials settings that have been created for Dawn 2. Paul is currently working on this for us.

We're wanting to make sure everything looks good for both Poser and Studio. This is the current focus right now. All rigging is completed. All morphs are completed as well.
My goal for Dawn 2 will be an unhealthy obsession to make her look as much like Marilyn Monroe as possible.:D
1638108228031.png

unreal

Noteworthy
I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. I'm not qualified to say that your obsession is unhealthy.

But I *am* qualified to say "BOING!!!" in a very Tex Avery like way.

Note: this should not be taken as a statement of support of unhealthy obsessions. But, "va va voom"

Disclaimer: I almost certainly need at least a TV doctor, myself.

unreal

Noteworthy
Don't you need Dawn 2 as well? Someone to hold up the hair and dress?

That dress does look like it would be relatively easy as dynamic, what with it not crossing the hellacious joint we call "the shoulder". And it would wrinkle nicely in that pose.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
FYI - I've moved this out of Chris' thread about the creation of Dawn 2 and folks can continue this here :)