• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is There a HiveWire Clydesdale?

eclark1894

Visionary
Just curious if Laurie or Chris has done a Clydesdale for Harry? I THINK there's a draught horse, but I admit I am thinking Budweiser.:)

1599743919378.png

eclark1894

Visionary
The part of that wagon that was holding me back then is STILL holding me back. Part of the reins are supposed to fit over the tail, but I can't seem to make it right.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure what you mean by reins fitting over the tail, do you have an image of what you mean? the image above looks right for the reins to me (except the reins should be a longer to fit in the drivers hands)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
There are usually rings on the collar and terrets (fixed rings on stems) on the back pad and the reins run through those.

Edit: you can just about see them on the harness I was making, but who knows when that will be finished? Modelling's kind of done but I have no real clue on rigging. Want to team up?
Draft Harness In Progress #3

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd love your harness in my runtime too HaiGan! (Can never have too much horse stuff!). I'd love to help any way I can but I have no idea of modelling or rigging or anything on that side of things (textures are about the only thing I'm reasonably knowledgeable about)

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm not sure what you mean by reins fitting over the tail, do you have an image of what you mean? the image above looks right for the reins to me (except the reins should be a longer to fit in the drivers hands)
I honestly don't know if I still have the reference pic I used for the rigging, but here's a shot of the modeling I'm doing where the rigging fits over the tail. I'll see if I can find the reference pic.

1599992833009.png

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
That's the crupper, it's not attached to the reins, it runs back along to the backpad. The britching attaches to the same straps as the crupper. The crupper is usually padded and smooth for the horse's comfort.

Edit: Okay, here you go:

parts of harness.jpg

Last edited:

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
(Added: I should have pointed out that the britching is bouncing upwards at the front with the motion of the horse, when standing the britching, chain and shafts would align. Also, this is heavy draft harness, the shafts are supported over the back by a chain running through a channel on the backpad (aka cart saddle). Lighter harness has leather tugs (loops) attached to the backband that the shafts run through. That style doesn't always have the strap running under the horse between the shafts.)

Just trying to find a rear view that shows the crupper. I have thousands of harness photos and therefore can't find just one!

There's a good rear view here on the snip of video I took last time I was at the farm, but this style of harness doesn't have a crupper. Maybe that's your answer?

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, most but not all harnesses have a crupper. Its job is to stop things going forward, on a lot of small harness ponies they have them as they often don't have Britching to help with breaking. On the ones I have seen where they don't have one, they often have a second (or third) strap on the Britching.

This video shows a good sample of a harness without one, around 1.53 it shows the rear of the harness a bit better Ruotsalainen Työvaljastus / tamppivaljastus

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
@Rae134 that would be Scandinavian-style harness, I think? It's mostly used for logging in the UK. Useful because the collar is adjustable in size; the traditional UK (and I think US) collar is a fixed size.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here's the reference pic I was using to model the harness. Although, I haven't gotten that far in the model, the back strap connects to the saddle. As you can see, the crupper appears as a loop around the tail. A loin strap (on both sides) clip onto the breeching to keep it in place. And yes, so far, I deliberately left the blinders off.

1600032547233.png

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think you're correct HaiGan. I posted it mainly because its one of the few back ends I've seen that doesn't have a crupper which might help Earl if he wanted to get rid of the cupper if its going to be too hard to rig.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I posted it mainly because its one of the few back ends I've seen that doesn't have a crupper which might help Earl if he wanted to get rid of the cupper if its going to be too hard to rig.

I can pop down to the farm one morning when they have the horses out and grab a bunch of photos, their everyday working harness has no crupper. It is pair harness, though, not singles, so it's not designed for shafts.