• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
This morning at Quail Hollow (Ken's house/garden)....

"The Dude" nestles at daddy's feet this morning...

IMG_1096.JPG

Homemade jammy dodgers make "Stay at Home" bearable

GVXI4002.JPG

An Allen's Hummingbird hangs out waiting for us to refill his feeder

DSC_4915.JPG

Our native Californian Stream Orchid opens...

DSC_4971.JPG

...and it won't be a day at "Quail Hollow" without quail

DSC_4924.JPG

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh, she likes having her picture taken. ;)

I'm glad to hear she's feeling better. :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
How EGG-citing!
The Puffin Burrow cam is live and we are pleased to announce we have a nesting family with an egg already in the burrow! Located 21 miles off the coast of Maine, the burrow cam offers us an intimate view into the makings of a new puffin family.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Slowly working through the cockatoo list... here's the Western Corella.

The 4 species of Corella look pretty similiar... so how do you tell the difference? Well, we'll start off with the two easiest; The Long-billed Corella and Western Corella both are large corellas (about 16 inches/40 cm) with elongated upper bills. Look for the red stripe across the upper chest to call it a long-billed. The tougher call is between the Little Corella (aka Short-billed Corella) and the Tanimbar Corella (aka Goffin's cockatoo). They are both smaller Corellas (about 12 inches/30 cm) and have shorter bills. The Tanimbar will have a slight blush of pink in the throat and hint of yellow at the ear patches; also a yellowish tint to the under tail and under wings whereas the Little Corella is more reddish.

Parrotsv4_Promo6.jpg

Last edited:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
we have flocks of thousands of little corellas in our main town... eating metal light poles and anything else they can get their beaks on lol

and noisy, when they all get going together it's very loud! :eek:

article

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm pretty sure the Little Corella is native to the Gold Coast but we do have the Long Billed one here too (but they think that started with escaped pets). The Little and Sulfer Crested Cockatoos often hang with each other around here.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Both Stezza and Rae should find this amusing from my upcoming manual... "The Aboriginal people call Corellas “manatj” and “manyte”, which loosely translates to “of a noisy and inquisitive nature”. The Aboriginals also use these names when referring to the Western Australian Police."

Last edited:

Harimau

Eager
At one time I used to think that cockatoo is an aboriginal name for the bird, just like kangaroo and place names like Minderoo, Waneroo, etc. until I realized that there IS actually an Indonesian cockatoo called Burong Kakak Tua (Elder sister bird) and the name is actually derived from that, i.e. Kakaktua = Cockatoo.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
At one time I used to think that cockatoo is an aboriginal name for the bird, just like kangaroo and place names like Minderoo, Waneroo, etc. until I realized that there IS actually an Indonesian cockatoo called Burong Kakak Tua (Elder sister bird) and the name is actually derived from that, i.e. Kakaktua = Cockatoo.

Yes, that's in my manual too... The word, cockatoo, dates from the 17th century and is derived from Dutch kaketoe, which is from Indonesian burung kakaktua; burung means bird.

I have in it my head (from somewhere) that the Aboriginal word for cockatoo means "pliers or vise-grips", but couldn't find the word or reference anywhere. Anybody whose have bitten by a cockatoo knows they are the pitbulls of the parrot world.

Of course, budgerigar, is an Aboriginal word meaning "good to eat" :confused:

Parrotsv4_Promo5.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...and the Palm Cockatoo... I'm working on the last one. the Gang-gang cockatoo today,...

but before anyone gets too excited there is still a long path to go 1) putting the set together in DAZ Studio and then 2) tweaking, finalizing the settings and textures, and then 3) Finishing the manual while its beta tested and finally 4) getting it through Hivewire's QAV process. I'm guessing you'll see it towards the end of June in the store.

Palm Cockatoo.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey @Ken Gilliland, just a quick question (hopefully lol), I know you've updated a lot of the bases now (I just can't remember which ones exactly), so was wondering what was left that would need to be completed before the "Songbird ReMix Australia Complete Stack" can be updated?