• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Editing media thumbnails

Darryl

Adventurous
I wonder if there is a way to control what part of the image is displayed as a thumbnail when adding them to my media albums? Some images look rather goofy when the top and bottom is cut off.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi Darryl,

At this time there is no way to select which part of the image is displayed as the thumbnail. I am hoping the developers add that in, though. It would really be handy!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Can you assign an image to the thumbnail or does it automatically create it from the image being posted?

Darryl

Adventurous
Hi Darryl,

At this time there is no way to select which part of the image is displayed as the thumbnail. I am hoping the developers add that in, though. It would really be handy!

OK. Other than that this new forum is really sweet. It has good integration with the media and a lot of options.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wonder if there is a way to control what part of the image is displayed as a thumbnail when adding them to my media albums? Some images look rather goofy when the top and bottom is cut off.

Can you assign an image to the thumbnail or does it automatically create it from the image being posted?

Here's what I've found. While there is no option to upload a thumbnail at the same time that we upload our image to the gallery, and the gallery automatically assigns it's own thumbnail that we cannot control...

If you go to the media's page... so in other words Your Gallery --> Your Album --> Your Gallery Image

You will see a link to the upper right corner just above the picture that allows you to upload a thumbnail of your own choosing :

upload_2016-2-17_4-16-41.png

Click on the "Change Thumbnail" link, and you can choose your own thumbnail. The thumbnail in the gallery will then update to use the one you uploaded, instead of the one the system auto-generated. It will pop up this window when you click the link :

upload_2016-2-17_4-19-28.png

In this window you can then click on "Choose File" and pick your own thumbnail to upload. I just make a habit of making my own thumbnails whenever I finish an image, and then once the image has been submitted to the galleries here, I go to the media's page and do this to update the thumbnail to what I want it to have.

I do a lot of landscape orientation pictures, so I totally understand the pain of horrible thumbnails that leave viewers with nothing to catch their interest enough to click on it and view it. :) This is how I manage that problem with the auto-generated thumbnails.

Darryl

Adventurous
I think it was your image right there that made me think "wait a minute, there must be some way to control the thumbnail!" The forum software seemed too robust to not have some way to control it. Thanks for sharing this useful information.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think it was your image right there that made me think "wait a minute, there must be some way to control the thumbnail!" The forum software seemed too robust to not have some way to control it. Thanks for sharing this useful information.

You're welcome. This was one of the first things I went after finding a "how do I do this" solution. The problem with system-generated thumbnails, is that they often leave us with some very horrid thumbnails unless our renders are perfectly square in dimensions. This issue can be seen in the RDNA galleries all over the place.

Once I found that link on the media page, it was a quick and easy fix. Upload the image, go to the media page, then upload my own thumbnail, and good to go. ;)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, all ! Now that we have a solution, I've moved this over to the FAQ forum :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, good to know Seliah, thanks for the heads-up.

So far I've not linked renders in the forums from my gallery here, so hadn't realized there was a problem. I'll have to keep this in mind if I start to do that in the future. ;)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great investigative work, Seliah! Thanks so much for sharing!