• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Carey

Extraordinary
It would be wrong to say I was picking on you but equally untrue if I said I didn't have you in mind when I created it. It was a sort of acknowledgement the validity of you comment on my previous render. This one was already on the drawing board, so to speak, and so rather than step back I had a play with the lighting in this one (not that I won't step back). Maybe overdone a tad but I had fun and learnt a lot and it does emphasize the point that the lab was fully powered even though abandoned.
I am betting they used electric eels for power, If this were a contest for lighting...You win...It looks great, ever played with eye lights? stop laughing, I am serious. starting doing it when working in Bryce, no, this not a challenge, just an idea I am willing to let you borrow and take full credit for like I never said a thing...lol

Think about what gives a face shape, sure there is the out line, but inside that outline that poser just loves to wash out into a few base colors. Look at some ones face, any one and look for those shadows inside that outline and how the play of shadow and light makes the face really belong to some one.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am betting they used electric eels for power, If this were a contest for lighting...You win...It looks great, ever played with eye lights? stop laughing, I am serious. starting doing it when working in Bryce, no, this not a challenge, just an idea I am willing to let you borrow and take full credit for like I never said a thing...lol

Think about what gives a face shape, sure there is the out line, but inside that outline that poser just loves to wash out into a few base colors. Look at some ones face, any one and look for those shadows inside that outline and how the play of shadow and light makes the face really belong to some one.

No contest, I just got carried away with the lights. Never thought of eye lights, might give that a go but I would mention you if I posted a render here as I never intentionally take credit for someone else's work. Now you mention it when I started photography so very many years ago I remember you had to very careful about shadows when doing portrait work. For example if the lighting created a shadow from the nose you should ensure it stayed above the top lip. There were lots of little studio tricks like shooting from a low angle to give the model longer appearing legs, strange that all you do in 3D is increase the Y scale.

Rokket

Dances with Bees

No contest, I just got carried away with the lights. Never thought of eye lights, might give that a go but I would mention you if I posted a render here as I never intentionally take credit for someone else's work. Now you mention it when I started photography so very many years ago I remember you had to very careful about shadows when doing portrait work. For example if the lighting created a shadow from the nose you should ensure it stayed above the top lip. There were lots of little studio tricks like shooting from a low angle to give the model longer appearing legs, strange that all you do in 3D is increase the Y scale.
This just reminded me of something. I have been experimenting with camera angles in Poser for a couple weeks now. Maybe you might want to do some experimenting yourself. Camera angles are worked to great effect in movies to add tension, drama, suspense... I have been rendering with the camera at 0 on the y and x axis for years. Moving the camera around has brought a whole new aspect into it, and sparked my creative energies.

Hornet3d

Wise
This just reminded me of something. I have been experimenting with camera angles in Poser for a couple weeks now. Maybe you might want to do some experimenting yourself. Camera angles are worked to great effect in movies to add tension, drama, suspense... I have been rendering with the camera at 0 on the y and x axis for years. Moving the camera around has brought a whole new aspect into it, and sparked my creative energies.

Good point, I usually do play with camera angles to a limited degree, however some of the renders I like the most I have stumbled on the camera angle when being a little bit too aggressive with my 3D mouse.

Carey

Extraordinary
YOU KNOW I HAVE TO PLEAD GUILTY, I don't play with camera angle near enough, It is always a sort of last ditch effort to save a render that is not working out. I read a book on Alfred Hitchcock and his camera work, very interesting...

Carey

Extraordinary

You are so silly at times, your not "stealing" if someone gives it freely...lol I hope, I sincerely hope to inspire whole new generations of 3D artists, or at least be good enough to where they would at least try to copy me. Yes, Please someone try to copy me...lol I really hate begging but not near enough people are trying to copy my techniques or vision or even my sense of humor...lol

Hornet3d

Wise
You are so silly at times, your not "stealing" if someone gives it freely...lol I hope, I sincerely hope to inspire whole new generations of 3D artists, or at least be good enough to where they would at least try to copy me. Yes, Please someone try to copy me...lol I really hate begging but not near enough people are trying to copy my techniques or vision or even my sense of humor...lol

If I am only silly at times then I am slipping in my old age. I am not sure that taking credit for a idea is that was not originally yours is stealing but I do think it is wrong but then I guess my views are old fashioned. I admire your desire to encourage others, I am sure I would not have stayed the course if you and others like you had not encouraged me. I am now into my sixteenth year and enjoying the hobby more now than ever before yet it is a hobby I literally fell over all those years ago. The people here at Hivewire, both the team and the forum members, are a rare resource these days and so many of the sources I used to understand the hobby have either disappeared or changed very radically and not for the better sadly.

Carey

Extraordinary
If I am only silly at times then I am slipping in my old age. I am not sure that taking credit for a idea is that was not originally yours is stealing but I do think it is wrong but then I guess my views are old fashioned. I admire your desire to encourage others, I am sure I would not have stayed the course if you and others like you had not encouraged me. I am now into my sixteenth year and enjoying the hobby more now than ever before yet it is a hobby I literally fell over all those years ago. The people here at Hivewire, both the team and the forum members, are a rare resource these days and so many of the sources I used to understand the hobby have either disappeared or changed very radically and not for the better sadly.
I love it here. The fun part is I get to be amazed, shown up and challenged, include yourself in all that. Keep on doing what your doing and above all have fun doing it!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Challenged myself to practice more with modeling in Carrara and came up with the idea of modeling the vehicles in Wacky Races..
cheesy I know.... but good to practice with to try and get better..

here are some of my attempts......... modeled and rendered in Carrara

I will post more as I go or you can follow my progress over on the Carrara Board.. sure is challenging.... but fun

;) :drawing:

Carey

Extraordinary
Challenged myself to practice more with modeling in Carrara and came up with the idea of modeling the vehicles in Wacky Races..

I will post more as I go or you can follow my progress over on the Carrara Board.. sure is challenging.... but fun

Your well on your way to being a great modeler

quietrob

Extraordinary
Because it was in my runtime.

View attachment 35643

Scene - Skydock by Stonemason

Bike - SkyBike2 by Stonemason

Outfit - CKV-01 for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs and Volpe Box
And as much as I envy that Sky Bike and Sky Dock, it's the Football Helmet that caught my eye and said, "HEY! Where did he get that?"

You would think Caoimhe would have some staff or robot or a robot Staff to straighten that up.

Hornet3d

Wise
And as much as I envy that Sky Bike and Sky Dock, it's the Football Helmet that caught my eye and said, "HEY! Where did he get that?"

You would think Caoimhe would have some staff or robot or a robot Staff to straighten that up.

:).

Headgear is part of the suit but it is just a visor not a full helmet, sort of a set of headphones with a visor between the ear pads. In this case the visor is flipped up to expose the face. What looks like the ear poking out from the ear pad is actually a reflection but the situation is not helped buy the curve of the visor which looks skewed because her head is turned. It does not look bad on the full render but, as you suggest, looks wrong when reduced.

quietrob

Extraordinary
:).

Headgear is part of the suit but it is just a visor not a full helmet, sort of a set of headphones with a visor between the ear pads. In this case the visor is flipped up to expose the face. What looks like the ear poking out from the ear pad is actually a reflection but the situation is not helped buy the curve of the visor which looks skewed because her head is turned. It does not look bad on the full render but, as you suggest, looks wrong when reduced.

My mistake for not being exact. On your left, far away Caiomhe is a pink sign with the letters CS. Above that is a neon circular sign with an icon of an American football helmet of the Los Angeles Chargers. Unless you think of Football like an American, know Football Teams in America as most young boys in the UK grow up knowing the Symbols for Manchester Union or Liverpool you wouldn't pick up on that neon sign. As we say here across the pond, "My Bad". :oops:

Hornet3d

Wise
My mistake for not being exact. On your left, far away Caiomhe is a pink sign with the letters CS. Above that is a neon circular sign with an icon of an American football helmet of the Los Angeles Chargers. Unless you think of Football like an American, know Football Teams in America as most young boys in the UK grow up knowing the Symbols for Manchester Union or Liverpool you wouldn't pick up on that neon sign. As we say here across the pond, "My Bad". :oops:

"My bad" as well, serves me right for replying so early in the morning before the brain is in gear, if it ever is. Strange thing is I looked back at the render and the visor can misinterpreted in the uploaded render, or it least it was possible looking at it on a tablet, that does not occur in the original and of course I know what should be there so tend to see it as I want to and not as someone seeing it for the first time.

Not only would have I not have known about a Los Angeles Chargers helmet I did register it was there as I was not really looking at the background as it was part of the scene. Mind you if it had been a Manchester United or Liverpool symbol I would have been just as ignorant as I am afraid I am a rare breed in the UK as I don't follow football. I do tend to watch rugby either union or league and I follow Formula One racing but I will happily forgo any sporting fixture if there are other things for me to do. Just goes to show how you can buy a scene and not know the full implications of the scene when you use it.

It is a good point though I need to try and look at my renders with fresh eyes and be more aware of the content of scenes I use. The fact that I can see something on a tablet that is not there on a large computer screen is quite and eyeopener for me.

D

Deleted member 325

Have you considered sharing some of these with the community? Or...if you do and I missed them, that's great.
I used to love the wacky designs in wacky races and the Pidgeon cartoons with the planes.

quietrob

Extraordinary
"My bad" as well, serves me right for replying so early in the morning before the brain is in gear, if it ever is. Strange thing is I looked back at the render and the visor can misinterpreted in the uploaded render, or it least it was possible looking at it on a tablet, that does not occur in the original and of course I know what should be there so tend to see it as I want to and not as someone seeing it for the first time.

Not only would have I not have known about a Los Angeles Chargers helmet I did register it was there as I was not really looking at the background as it was part of the scene. Mind you if it had been a Manchester United or Liverpool symbol I would have been just as ignorant as I am afraid I am a rare breed in the UK as I don't follow football. I do tend to watch rugby either union or league and I follow Formula One racing but I will happily forgo any sporting fixture if there are other things for me to do. Just goes to show how you can buy a scene and not know the full implications of the scene when you use it.

It is a good point though I need to try and look at my renders with fresh eyes and be more aware of the content of scenes I use. The fact that I can see something on a tablet that is not there on a large computer screen is quite and eyeopener for me.
I totally understand where you are coming from. I grew up watching sports with Pop and delighting in my big brother delivering on his promise to hit a home run every game and if I was good, he'd hit one for me too. Big brothers are just the best!

That said, a question must be asked. You made the scene or was it a background? One look around here will tell you that BOTH are easily acceptable. I'll even post one from my comic in case someone thinks they aren't. If it's a background, I get where you're coming from. If you put everything in the scene than I MUST ask.

Where did you get that Neon American Football Helmet sign? If it's a prop I must have it! I just must!