• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Speed Videos/Time Lapse.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure where to put this, so...

I'm trying to do a time lapse/ speed drawing of how I do my landscapes. I have the video, but I can't figure out how to make it speed up, which I assume that I have to do before adding music to the video.

I have several editing software suites, but I can't seem to find what I need. No button/menu says "Speed up" or anything like that. So, I'm sure it's some special command that I'm just not getting.

When I research it, Someone said that you could use blender for that...but I couldn't figure out how to even load a video in Blender!

I have VSDC, Movie Studio 14, HitFilm, Apowersoft, maybe a couple of others..but I'm lost. Anyone have any experience in this?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So, if anyone else has this issue....Apowersoft was finally able to do the trick. And add the music and credit image. It did make the video a little blurrier. Have to check that out in ta future version. I'll post a link to the finished video in a bit.

Nod

Adventurous
Change the frame rate in whatever package you use. Once you've done that, you can add the music.

Edit.
I see you've found a solution though. :laugh:

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well, not sure what to suggest, but I can't follow that at all.
Why speed it up? Now it's way too fast.
Maybe I'm retarded or something.
Ahh, hmm. I know! Use slower music.

Speed painting, is meant to just have the painting appear. It's not meant to truely be an instruction or tutorial video.

OK...
Speed Painting.
A whole new concept for me.
But what I'm seeing there, just to be honest, doesn't look like painting.
All these dialog boxes are popping up and then disappearing, like real fast, which is distracting.
And I see the window frame and tool panels for some app, but can't tell what it is.

I've got this video production software, called 'Vegas' which can record whatever you're doing on the computer.
Like a running screen capture.
You start it recording, and just go about anything on the computer and it's all recorded.
That's what it looks like is going on.

Well.. if I were to just make up my own concept of speed painting, I'd want it to be just the frames.
Like an animation being created as the graphic was being made.

Say for instance I've got my graphics program going and I'm using my tablet to create the picture just like I'm painting with a brush or similar tool.
And the graphics program is doing an animation as I go.

So if that's happening at a kind of slow frame rate (as animations go) then if it were converted to video at say 15 fps, the painting would be happening real fast.
So you'd want the animation to be interpolated over some number of video frames to make it come out with a nice tempo, if it were to be accompanied by music.

A pretty common tempo for rock music is 120 bpm, so that's 2 beats per second. Pretty danceable, called Allegro.
For the scene I see there, which looks peaceful, maybe a slower tempo, like 80-90 bpm, called Andante, about a walking pace.

So 90 bpm would be 1.5 beats per second, and at a frame rate of 15 fps you'd then need each animation frame interpolated over 10 video frames.

Seems like all that would be more controllable if you just made a render manually in steps of the development of the graphic.
So if you wanted the speed painting to last 1 minute then you'd need just the number of renders for the musical tempo, 90.
And if you want it to last 2 minutes, you'd need 180 renders.
So it might be good to first choose the musical piece, pace the tempo and use that to determine how many renders will be required.

No point in making huge frames for each render.
They might as well be the size that the video frames are going to be.

As for that blurring effect, these goofy video editing programs re-compress the video every time you edit and then re-render the video.
So editing in stages just makes the video get fuzzier and fuzzier.
You'd think they'd know better, but no-o-o-o.

Vegas has the option to re-compress or not which is the reason I use it. But it's pretty expensive.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's an interesting thought, Martillo.

I think the speed painting thing came from the sound-bite generation that wants everything faster or in smaller bites. So they want to watch the whole painting process, but they don't want to take the 40 minutes it would take to watch it at normal speed.

I find timelapse/speed painting to be very soothing, personally. I love seeing the thing come from nothing. (I like DIY building or crafting videos like that, too). But, it may not be some folks cup of tea.

Thank you for your thoughts, and advice!

Ah, now I get it.
When you said 'speed painting is meant to just have the painting appear' that gave me the idea of just seeing an evolving work of art without all the tool activity showing.
It does look cool to see the working stuff. It's impressive as a demonstration of skill with the app.
BTW, what app are you using to create those landscapes?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Ah, now I get it.
When you said 'speed painting is meant to just have the painting appear' that gave me the idea of just seeing an evolving work of art without all the tool activity showing.
It does look cool to see the working stuff. It's impressive as a demonstration of skill with the app.
BTW, what app are you using to create those landscapes?
I use PD Howler 11. It is for sale at DAZ and also at www.thebest3d.com, Steam, and www.squirreldome.com It is a wonderful digital media suite intended to mimic natural drawing and painting media, as well as doing a lot of other image software processes. And WAY cheaper than PhotoShop. I have a number of YouTube tutorials which would let you see if you might have an interest in it.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Have you thought about offering your tutorials at HiveWire, not just DAZ?
I have, but as the webinars are going through Digital Art Live, I don't think that they can be offered through any other channel than DAZ. But, I have thought about doing straight tutorials, rather than webinars, and offering them through HiveWire and such. I would do PDFs to go with them, if I did that. But, thanks for the knowledge that folks might actually be interested in that.

Well maybe I'll check out PD Howler.
I'm using Corel stuff, which is very clunky, but it works well with lightwave.
The reason being that LW Modeler only exports the UV as .eps
That works well in CorelDraw, but then using bitmaps is very limited, or maybe crude.
If Howler can read .eps it would be useful for making textures.
For backgrounds I pretty much only want 3D ones, so my scene layouts can extend fully in z coordinate.
LW Layout does that super well, and in general, completely blows Poser away, except for rigging characters.
Poser wins hands down for that part.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist