• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Questions about Dawn

cosmasad

Hello,

I am new to Poser and want to order Dawn Special Edition but am a little lost on the options. What I want is to create female figures to position in my 3d environments of film sets. I am not looking for exotic (or vampy) figures though. What I am looking for is straightforward, normal people -like a lawyer, or teacher - no sexy clothes, just pant suits. I could also use regular casual clothes, jeans and t-shirts etc. Same thing for hair styles. I do not need color on my figures. I will use them as plain white obj objects. If someone could guide me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
well...right now Dawn has a lot of free and commercial clothes and accesories ...the same is for characters
in the shop you can find things made for her..at left side (narrow by- compatible figures- Dawn) you can tick on Dawn to see all the items for her...and you can search for free items too on Renderosity Freestuff | Renderosity
or Share cg Poser Browse: Page 1

cosmasad

well...right now Dawn has a lot of free and commercial clothes and accesories ...the same is for characters
in the shop you can find things made for her..at left side (narrow by- compatible figures- Dawn) you can tick on Dawn to see all the items for her...and you can search for free items too on Renderosity Freestuff | Renderosity
or Share cg Poser Browse: Page 1
Thank you mininessie. When I went to your shop link and narrowed down the choices on the left to Dawn and Poser 11, only two things were offered. Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you.

cosmasad

Hello,

I am new to Poser 11 and looking for figures of straightforward contemporary people like lawyers or doctors that I can use in 3d models of film sets (generated by Rhino). I had Dawn recommended to me and posted a message in this forum which sent me to a link at the Shop, but when I narrowed down the options on the left to Dawn and Poser 11, there were only two items for sale. Is that possible? Am I doing something wrong?

I was hoping to first of all figure out if Dawn was compatible with Poser 11, and then find clothes and hair styles that were contemporary and professional looking (not fantasy figures). Any assistance with this would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
DawnSE (the current version) is compatible with Poser 10 and above, though I've used her in Poser 9 as well. I use her often in PoserPro 11, and have no issues with her as far as compatibility goes.

As far as her clothes and hair products here in our store, I'm pretty sure they're all compatible with Poser 11. Just remember they weren't necessarily made specifically just for Poser 11, but for Poser 9/Poser 10 and above, which would include Poser 11.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
yes for poser 11 it shows three things for me...but you can use all the items made for her if you have poser 11 i think...these ones are sorted that way because perhaps in previous versions don´t work correctly...but if you have a newer version is suppossed you can use content made for all the previous ones....so select only Dawn to sort the content to see all the items avaliable...i´m almost sure they will all work for you!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Dawn is compatible with Poser 11, though for the base Dawn, you will need to grab either EZSkin3, which is free, or my DawnSE Superfly settings here: Dropbox - DawnSESuperfly.zip (also free) to get a correct render in Superfly.

You would be better off going with EZSkin3 because you can use that with any Dawn Character set you might purchase and my settings are only for use on the base figure of DawnSE.

EZSkin3 is definitely more versatile. Link to EZSkin3: CGbytes - Store - EZSkin-3

Also, there's several clothing items here in store which would be suitable for professional attire for Dawn. This will get you into the clothing section of the store by drilling down to the Everday clothing link on the left: Everyday Clothing - Clothing & Accessories - Shop It does include all the figures, but you can see Dawn has a wealth of clothing there.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, cosmasad, and welcome to the Hive!

Any Poser 9 and higher content created for Dawn should work in Poser 11 - though they may only have material settings for the Firefly Rendering engine, and not the Superfly one. The product page will indicate that.

When I create product pages, I indicate the LOWEST version of Poser that the product works with, rather than all of them. Since Dawn requires Poser 9 and higher, that is what you want to select, rather than Poser 11.

Things that are listed as "Poser 11" compatible indicates that it is ONLY Poser 11 compatible and won't work in earlier versions.

Hope that helps!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, again, cosmasad-

You had 2 threads that were asking the same thing so I merged them into this one, where hopefully we've helped answer your questions :).

I also moved it to a different forum, though I'm not sure this is the most helpful one either lol!

cosmasad

Thank you, all for your help. I really appreciate it. Still a little confused though about which Dawn to buy. I know there is the Dawn Special Edition. Is this a Hivewire product? If so, if I bought it how would I get it in to Poser 11? Also, how would it compare to the products that Gliterrati3d is mentioning above? He has sent me a link to the Dawn "Superfly" and then mentions EZ-Skin 3. How do I decide which one to take? As I said, I need a basic female figure that I can use in Poser 11 to generate professional looking women like lawyers, doctors and maybe military figures as well. I like the proportions of Dawn (tall and thin) better than the female figures that come bundled with Poser 11. Thank you, all for your guidance. I really appreciate it.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Dawn Special Edition IS Dawn. The figure comes with both Poser and DAZ Studio files, so you will use those for Poser.

There is info on installing in the ReadMe, and more here:
How to install and find your HiveWire 3D content in Poser

Poser 11 has 2 different Render Engines - Firefly (the older one) and Superfly (the newer one that you must have Poser 11 or higher (there is no higher at this point) to use.

Dawn currently doesn't have materials for Superfly, so the 2 links Glitterati provided are things to change the materials so they work in Superfly. You need Dawn SE to use them.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, and yes, Dawn Special Edition is a HiveWire original product :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Cosmasad, if I might make a suggestion......

Use the figures that come with Poser and go through a few of Nerd3D's excellent Poser tutorials here: Tutorials - YouTube

Start with any of the tutorials with 101 in the title - those are basic knowledge.

Once you understand the basics of Poser, the things we are saying will make more sense to you and you can make wise choices before purchasing things.

Those of us who use Poser do manage to forget how confusing the first steps can be and we leave out a lot of basics by making assumptions.

I think Nerd's videos will make Poser much easier for you to use.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Welcome :)

Yes, I highly recommend Nerd (aka Chuck Taylor)'s tutorials, too!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks for the link to Chuck's Poser tutorials, as I had sent a link about the Poser sale to a gal I've been communicating with on another forum where I'm taking some Blender classes. Now I'll be able to get her this link so she can learn how to use it. :D

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for the link to Chuck's Poser tutorials, as I had sent a link about the Poser sale to a gal I've been communicating with on another forum where I'm taking some Blender classes. Now I'll be able to get her this link so she can learn how to use it. :D

You're welcome! I have them in my bookmarks to review some of his tutorials on lesser used functions like atmosphere. They make those kinds of things so much easier and my feeble brain doesn't have to remember every detail. :)

cosmasad

Hi guys, I am buying Dawn Special Edition and want to pick out some clothes and hair for her. Are the Hivewire products divided in to "conforming" and "dynamic" like the Poser products are? Any tips on picking out hair? Thank you.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Dynamic clothes have the word dynamic as part of the product name. Lully has a lot of dynamic clothing for Dawn here in the store.

A far as hair goes, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The Heroine hair is a nice short hairstyle, and the Fashionista Hair, if you're looking for something a little longer. There's also Dawn's Mid Length Hair for a more casual look.