• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
If you go to my.smithmicro.com and login/create an account, you can manage your licenses there. I have the option to remove activations to free up some. You can do that once every 3 months. You'll find it under Support > License Manager on the site.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You just need to contact support. If that is a paid license, you do not need to re-purchase.

You do have to activate, and must be online at least once every 90 days for the license to renew, but that will happen automatically unless you are using Poser on a machine with no connectivity to the internet.

You CAN permanently activate the license to stop the 90 day renewal, but support can help you do that, too. I have my license on permanent activation because I don't always have a reliable internet connection. It was fast and easy to accomplish the permanent activation.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just heard back from John at support and he got it working! These were the instructions:
Move the following folder to your desktop

C:\ProgramData\Poser\11
ProgramData may be hidden. Go your Control Panel, (Change from Categories to an Icon view on the right) select Folder Options and under the View Tab, select Show Hidden Files and Folders to allow you to view the ProgramData.

Hornet3d

Wise
You just need to contact support. If that is a paid license, you do not need to re-purchase.

You do have to activate, and must be online at least once every 90 days for the license to renew, but that will happen automatically unless you are using Poser on a machine with no connectivity to the internet.

You CAN permanently activate the license to stop the 90 day renewal, but support can help you do that, too. I have my license on permanent activation because I don't always have a reliable internet connection. It was fast and easy to accomplish the permanent activation.

Credit to SM, after the rather poor way they introduced the activation feature in Game Dev, they did at least listen to their customers and make it easier for those with a poor internet connection or a computer isolated from the Internet.

eclark1894

Visionary
Credit to SM, after the rather poor way they introduced the activation feature in Game Dev, they did at least listen to their customers and make it easier for those with a poor internet connection or a computer isolated from the Internet.
Actually, they did add the permanent activation to Poser 2014 later, but yeah, they made it much easier this time around.

Hornet3d

Wise
Actually, they did add the permanent activation to Poser 2014 later, but yeah, they made it much easier this time around.

I was under the impression that 'phone home' was never added to Poser 2014 and that the deactivation feature was introduced with the Game Dev upgrade and again with Poser 11. There were certainly a lot of people caught with the feature with Game Dev at the time, of more accurately three months later.

eclark1894

Visionary
I was under the impression that 'phone home' was never added to Poser 2014 and that the deactivation feature was introduced with the Game Dev upgrade and again with Poser 11. There were certainly a lot of people caught with the feature with Game Dev at the time, of more accurately three months later.
Ooops, you're right I misspoke. It was the Game Dev version.:oops:

Hornet3d

Wise
Ooops, you're right I misspoke. It was the Game Dev version.:oops:

Well the base was very much Poser 2014 and Game Dev was only a few tweaks one of which was, unfortunately, the activation feature. You are right though, they did go back and sort it for Game Dev once it had been sorted for Poser 11.

eclark1894

Visionary
To be fair, I didn't adopt Dawn right away, but primarily because I was supporting Roxie at the time. Had nothing to do with her geometry or how many morphs she had. I've only made about four or five things for Dawn since, one or two released as freebies, the rest not released at all. Clothes have become the bane of my Poser experience, and not just for Dawn. I've got a perfectly good outfit for Pauline sitting in Blender right now. The only reason I haven't rigged it is because I can't texture worth a damn! Yeah, I can create a denim texture, but it's adding things like seams. God I hate it. Texturing sucks!
My untextured and unrigged outfit for Pauline. I was going for a Tombraider style. I still have some guns and a holster in Blender and also untextured.

Pauline's new clothes.png

minus269

New-Bee
I stumbled across this financial report from Smith micro, owners of Poser:

Smith Micro Reports 2017 First Quarter Financial Results

It made me wonder how secure is Posers future, taking into account also the incompatibility of newer DAZ Genesis figures in Poser. Food for thought I suppose.

For real fun, read the full SEC 10-Q filing. This is not a company in good financial or operational health, at all. If you are accustomed to reading 10-Q's, some of SM's consolidation strategy becomes a bit clearer, I think. However, a lot of their hopes for getting out of this mess are based on revenue that hasn't materialized for more than 2 years, and borrowing privately from your own board members twice in quick succession says something bad about both cash flow and credit worthiness. Their core business is vulnerable and subject to the whims of a couple of key customers. (Remember, SM is not primarily a consumer graphics company; they're a wireless technical solutions company that also does graphics stuff.) The only reason for them to invest further in Poser is if they envision Poser 12 making more money in upgrades and new sales than Poser 11, at a development cost of a fraction of what they spent on Poser 11. What you can't tell from the 10-Q is the revenue split between Moho and Poser. If there's a significant disparity there, and dev costs are similar, then the weaker sister is likely going onto the list of future eliminated or sold product lines described in the report.

Smith Micro 10-Q Filing with the SEC (from Edgar)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
My untextured and unrigged outfit for Pauline. I was going for a Tombraider style. I still have some guns and a holster in Blender and also untextured.

Did you get my message Earl, offering to do the textures? I'd love to try my new stitches brushes on that.

eclark1894

Visionary
Did you get my message Earl, offering to do the textures? I'd love to try my new stitches brushes on that.
Yes, I did. However I haven't rigged the clothes yet. so texturing them would seem premature to me. Plus, I've been busy trying to get back to work on finishing Dawn's House. I'm trying my darndest to try not to get sidetracked again, even though last night. Thanks to a post by Chris about the Hivewire dragon, I did get slightly sidetracked and made a harness/saddle for the Poser dragon. I will, however, keep everyone posted as to what I am doing.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Plus, I've been busy trying to get back to work on finishing Dawn's House.

Now I have a song going round my head (an awesome one!)

*sings*
Our house..is a very very very fine house, with two cats in the yard. Life used to be so hard. Now everything is easy 'cause of you"

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Now I have a song going round my head (an awesome one!)

*sings*
Our house..is a very very very fine house, with two cats in the yard. Life used to be so hard. Now everything is easy 'cause of you"
I always did like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow Miss B, I had to look that up. As a child of the 80's I only know the one done but Madness from 1982 (I was 10).
The CSNY one sounds odd to me :p

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
@eclark1894 -um THIRTY two cats? I think it's time for you to move, particularly if they don't have litterboxes..
:laugh:

@Rae134 Gee, thanks for making me feel old, girl, lol. :p

Just please, don't say "Oh, yeah, weren't the Beatles Paul McCartney's band before Wings?" (I actually got that when mentioning the Beatles once.)

Actually, Our House is by Crosby, Stills, Nash (the trio prior to Neil Young joining them) on the Deja Vu album. One of the best all-time albums by anyone in my opinion.

According to Wikipedia, it's sold over 8 million copies and is the highest-selling album of each member's career to date.

YOUNGSTERS!!

:p