• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: HiveWire 3D to publish Animals through DAZ 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Whatever the motive, the fact that they wanted both DS & Poser versions is nice :)

Gonna be awhile for the horse items - Laurie is redoing many to tweak mats & textures, and make sure there are Iray and Superfly material options. DAZ doesn't do stacks, and as to what bundles there may or may not be, I'm suspect that's something to be decided by Chris & Lisa down the road.

Yes, Poor Laurie!! I think she mentioned that some where previously in the thread. The updated Daz Renders on the Cat promos though turned out Stellar! Yes, I rather thought as much about the bundles, but was rather curious as to if they would be offered.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ah so you will have the final word on what gets bundled and what doesn't. Good.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
So, I rushed over to DAZ to the Product Suggestions subform and there's not one post with an offsite link to a product in the entire first page.

Oh well.
It has happened, but the product suggestion forum is generally for items people would like to see in the daz store. It's more of a "can you make this" than a "where can I find". The "where can I find" threads usually end up in the general section.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Me too.

p.s.: Love the Bashir avatar btw :)
Hey, Tempesta - so good to see you here!! Yeah, I love that Bashir avatar, too!!
I find Julian's "I'm totally judging you right now" stare incredibly useful in an internet full of idiots. ;)

Personally, I do not believe that's their intention with this. All HW animals ship in both Poser and DS versions, and as far as I can see, they are only interested in the DS version, since they have a long history of distancing themselves from the Poser market as a whole. The fact that these HW products include a native Poser version is just an extra they can add to their ads. Poser users have little to seek for at DAZ, and that is not going to change. On the contrary, they keep adding more barriers against Poser compatibility with every new figure, where Genesis 8 has finally become utterly incompatible thanks to it's multiple joints per group - which makes it incompatible not only with Poser, but also with all previous DS versions, including earlier versions of DS 4.9.
Agreed, but I was commenting on the line in the original post wherein DAZ claimed that they wanted to add to their Poser product base. I'm not exactly holding my breath (though I must admit that probably my best Poser purchase of the last year, Vincebagna's SuperShaders, came from DAZ), but given how aggressively hostile DAZ has been to Poser-using customers in the past this still feels like a change of tone if not an actual change in direction. I for one have held something of a middle ground toward DAZ--I dislike them as a company, but I haven't actively boycotted them (I don't shop there often because it's so rare they release something that I as a Poser-user can use, but if I see something I like that I can use--even a DS product I can convert--I buy it--though there are a couple vendors there [no I won't say names] who I won't buy from simply because they were extremely rude to customers about Poser-support back in the early days when it wasn't clear that DS and Poser were permanently going their separate ways).

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And the number of vendors who take the time to produce versions for both is dwindling. I gather (not that I actually *know*) that DAZ has made it comparatively easy to get all the ducks in a row for Studio. and since Poser support is no longer just a matter of materials, fewer and fewer of them make the effort.

There are a handful who still do though. At least to the degree of offering an .obj version.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah I also did a price comparison. The add on is a bit more than what I paid here, but the base is still within my price range and I like you got the cub free.

Not sure how if you are signed up for PC + how that is going to affect things with the monthly 6/7 dollar coupons, but still waiting to see what the stack value on the horse will be via Daz or if they are going to offer the stack which is different than the bundle method they use there.
Monthly Coupon is only for $6 off Daz Originals. Excludes Platinum Club items, gift cards, and memberships. It doesn't work for the HW3D stuff.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Are you aware that Vanishing point tried working with Daz just a few short months ago and that deal fell through big time. There were several issues they couldn't agree on- like when to pay the vendors and whose name goes on the product.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Actually the other PC+ coupon would be good on them once they fall off the 90-day buffer of new products. That coupon is good for $6 off of PA items of over $18. But not good on new products. The base is priced at a point that a PC+ member will be able to use it once we get into October.

I'll admit that I've rarely used that coupon.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Are you aware that Vanishing point tried working with Daz just a few short months ago and that deal fell through big time. There were several issues they couldn't agree on- like when to pay the vendors and whose name goes on the product.
More than likely, that's the reason VanishingPoint is a vendor here in the HiveWire store.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Agreed, but I was commenting on the line in the original post wherein DAZ claimed that they wanted to add to their Poser product base.

Oh I see, thanks for the heads up. As you, I don't boycott DAZ, but also rarely find something there I can use in Poser, unless I think I can convert it. :)

And the number of vendors who take the time to produce versions for both is dwindling.

I think that might be related to how polarized the content stores have become these days. The further away DAZ gets from the Poser market, the deeper the polarization. Back in 2013, my DS versions used to sell WAY more than they do nowadays, which probably proves my point. I bet my Poser versions wouldn't sell well at DAZ for the very same reasons. So if I make both versions and sell them at the same place, one of them is likely to gather dust on the shelf, which on its own right, doesn't push me to keep doing it. Like it was said here, it's a LOT of work to support both platforms, so it's not something to be taken lightly. Some people never wanted to do it, while other might be discouraged by increases on market polarization. By that I mean the people who buy, not the store themselves.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Actually the other PC+ coupon would be good on them once they fall off the 90-day buffer of new products. That coupon is good for $6 off of PA items of over $18. But not good on new products. The base is priced at a point that a PC+ member will be able to use it once we get into October.

I'll admit that I've rarely used that coupon.
Until I let my PC+ membership expire the beginning of last year, I always used the monthly coupons. I preferred how we could use it years ago when it was still just PC. They changed the policy when they changed the membership to PC+, and in the last year I was a member, I used it on all the Genesis 1/V5/M5 items I could get my hands on which I didn't already have, and don't miss the membership or coupons at all now, as I never got into Genesis 2 or Genesis 3.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes, I'm sure that the polarization is the main reason why fewer and fewer vendors at the DAZ market continue to produce Poser content.

I am uncertain about this, but I also suspect that the fact that DAZ uses the loss-leader model of marketing and gives the program away means that a lot more people getting into 3D at the hobbyist end, now enter from the Studio side than did prior to Studio 4.0.?, back when both programs had to be purchased. Poser had *far* wider name recognition in, oh, say 2010 than Studio. But I wouldn't count on that still being the case now. Quite a few people who started with Studio may have moved to Poser (probably to get access to the dynamics that let them clothify something). But I suspect that very few of them invest in Poser and then deinstall their copy of Studio.

I don't know the percentage of Poser as opposed to Studio users across the whole market. But I would be willing to bet that the newbie end of the market may be heavily stalked toward Studio.

Hornet3d

Wise
Coo, apparently I have just posted my 1000 post and I am now officially addicted.

What a entertaining week this has been as far as my 3D art goes........and it is only Monday!!

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, I'm sure that the polarization is the main reason why fewer and fewer vendors at the DAZ market continue to produce Poser content.

I am uncertain about this, but I also suspect that the fact that DAZ uses the loss-leader model of marketing and gives the program away means that a lot more people getting into 3D at the hobbyist end, now enter from the Studio side than did prior to Studio 4.0.?, back when both programs had to be purchased. Poser had *far* wider name recognition in, oh, say 2010 than Studio. But I wouldn't count on that still being the case now. Quite a few people who started with Studio may have moved to Poser (probably to get access to the dynamics that let them clothify something). But I suspect that very few of them invest in Poser and then deinstall their copy of Studio.

I don't know the percentage of Poser as opposed to Studio users across the whole market. But I would be willing to bet that the newbie end of the market may be heavily stalked toward Studio.

That is an interesting viewpoint and you could well be right. My concern is not so much the where the new artist start but the advice they are given and the number, new and old, that have just given up on the hobby due to the polerisation you talk about.

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Wow.... I really liked buying here I don't trust Daz. :( Daz is so anti Poser too. Heartbroken over this. Does this mean no more Poser animals??

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

The bottom line for newcomers is about WHAT they will be rendering, as opposed to in what program. They know nothing about either ones, so the FREE one will be appealing for the obvious reasons. Even I (a veteran Poser guy) have recommended DS for people who wanted to get started with zero risk and zero cost. I try to bring them to the HW store, but as they start using DS, they quickly get drawn by the flashy ads from DAZ. Conversely, one of the most common complaint is how come they can never match the promo renders from DAZ! LOL Fishy!

Hornet3d

Wise
The bottom line for newcomers is about WHAT they will be rendering, as opposed to in what program. They know nothing about either ones, so the FREE one will be appealing for the obvious reasons. Even I (a veteran Poser guy) have recommended DS for people who wanted to get started with zero risk and zero cost. I try to bring them to the HW store, but as they start using DS, they quickly get drawn by the flashy ads from DAZ. Conversely, one of the most common complaint is how come they can never match the promo renders from DAZ! LOL Fishy!

I am very much a Poser user but started with Daz and made the change around the time of Poser 5. Like you I also recommend that new comers use DS first, one to see if they like the hobby before they spend a small fortune and, if they do like it, what they will be doing with the program. Way back when I changed there was a lot of free, well informed and balanced advice, unfortunately the polerisation has meant that such advice is pretty rare these days. Or maybe that is just a mixture of me getting old and nostalgia kicking in.

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Oh I forgot. My wife TsunaDraken and I have accounts, but we usually buy with hers. How will it work for that? Are our products going to remain in our accounts here?

Status
Not open for further replies.