Ken Gilliland's Products In Renders

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by HiveWire3D, Dec 10, 2015.

1. luannemarie

luannemarie Brilliant

Title: Oriental Basket Lady
    Oriental Basket Lady 101z.jpg

Flint_Hawk, xmasrose, Me195 and 8 others like this.
  2. Klaus Sauer

Klaus Sauer Inspired

PrincessOfChina1.jpg

The Chinese Nightingale

Flint_Hawk, xmasrose, Me195 and 8 others like this.
  3. luannemarie

luannemarie Brilliant

Title: My Toucan
    My Toucan 101z.jpg

Flint_Hawk, xmasrose, Me195 and 6 others like this.
  4. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

*Tiny* toucan. Lovely image, but doesn't all that ink constitute child abuse?

5. Joe Pingleton

Joe Pingleton Member

I quick idea that popped into my head.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

So, I'm working on covers again, and thought I'd give Iray another try. It does start showing a decent image faster in 4.11, but still comes out noisier than I'd prefer. Not sure how long it took since I left it overnight. In 4.10 it would time out after 2 hours.

The finished cover has an analog art filter applied, but the base render is more appropriate to post here.

The Kiwi burrow doesn't come with Iray materials. But I found that it doesn't seem to need them. I did try hitting it with the Iray Uber shader, and didn't care for the result at all, so I brought in a new iteration of it, and just left it with the 3DL materials.

I wanted a rain scene, so I gave it a geoshell, turned off the opacity (still in 3DL) of the burrow and the mound. and then hit what still had the shell visible with an Iray shader for liquid.

The light set used was the Painter's lights set which has since disappeared. I had picked it up when it came out, since I figured that eventually I'd try to do something in Iray. I also used one of Faviana's Theory of Light textures on the environment dome. There was a bit of tweaking of color values in Photoshop, and exporting for web shifted things a little, but it's still pretty close to what I had when I looked at the computer this morning.

Other products used: 3DU's Pixie for G3M, Coffee-Gnorg's giant spider (much reduced) -- I had to go at that with the Geometry editor, since the head is all one matt zone, J Wolf's Iray water props, and one of Flink's spiderwebs. I think the liquid shader was one of Jen's from the PC+, and I think the fur on the spider is from Dimension Theory. The glass shader for the eyes is from someone else, but I didn't make a note of it.

Pixie.jpg

LisaB, Flint_Hawk, Rae134 and 3 others like this.