• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I wish we had..for Dawn

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes, but it's not legal to distribute a dynamic clothing asset that was made with DynCreator, as far as I know, because of how the script works. I don't know about VWD, as I don't have that one, so haven't looked into it yet. But anything run through DynCreator has questionable legality at best for redistribution as a dynamic asset. If one doesn't own VWD, the safest route for public distribution is a Poser dynamic format...
Vwd must be okay as there are things released for it at renderosity and it calls on the plugin for poser that the author also created.

Vwd is a plug in for ds by Virtual World that is sold at rendo.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What about that GPU-accelerated cloth sim DS plugin they were showing at the Rendo forums (I think it was at RO)? It was not based on cloth-sim, but instead on soft-body dynamics. That looked really awesome.

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
Well, that depends, I think if you have lots of adronments - Ribbons, flowers, buckles, ruffles, what not - it'd be hard to include that in dynamic clothing, wouldn't it?

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, that depends, I think if you have lots of adronments - Ribbons, flowers, buckles, ruffles, what not - it'd be hard to include that in dynamic clothing, wouldn't it?
As far as Poser goes, the answer is no. You can add it in separately, or as part of the main mesh. You just have to tell the Cloth room what dynamic group to place it in. Also, each dynamic group has it's own dynamic cloth settings to enter. So, it could take some time to set up, and you may take several times to get it to look just the way you want, but Poser should have no problem with doing what you want with dynamic cloth. Right now, Poser's biggest drawback regarding dynamic clothing is time. It takes Poser a lot of time to do those calculations.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

As a general rule, for general Poser users, yes, you're correct.

I find that most dynamic users find setting those "parts" to sim correctly "too much work" and they just skip the purchase entirely.

Sad, but true.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I would totally adore histrically correct clothing from about 1750 (Europe) - Roccoco clothing ... but also from other periods. I'm areal sucker for period costumes^^
Also, more clothing from different cultures would be great as, native american, chinese, japanese...

I agree entirely, and very very slowly, I hope to make some of that sort of stuff. I actually started a 'pirate' outfit a while ago the is meant to include the kind of men's vest and jacket that I think you are thinking of. But it's a long way off from being finished, and I have a lot of things that have moved ahead of it (partly because it is such a big project).

Roccoco clothing is much better suited to dynamic clothing than conformers. I'd like to see something like this from the MD users, as I bet it would be really nice.

Hmm, I wonder if I'm thinking of the same thing as you, at least in terms of the women's clothing. I'm thinking something like this:

Those sorts of skirts actually had very little movement because of the way they hung over a frame. And even though they often had an overskirt drapped over the main skirt, the fabric was usually so heavy that it didn't move much. Now all the lace on the sleeves would be good for dynamics. But maybe I'm thinking of the wrong period.

As a general rule, for general Poser users, yes, you're correct.

I find that most dynamic users find setting those "parts" to sim correctly "too much work" and they just skip the purchase entirely.

Sad, but true.

Well, if the dynamic clothing has been set up correctly by the creator, I don't think you should have to create all those groups. Actually I haven't made anything with lots of buttons/ribbons etc, but I know that at least constrained groups save to dynamic clothing. I always make sure that those groups are setup and saved into the dynamic clothing item.

Not to say there isn't some tedious stuff to do in the cloth room. I actually built a script for my last dynamic item, that automatically set up the collision groups for you, although there were still setting you had to set by hand.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, if the dynamic clothing has been set up correctly by the creator, I don't think you should have to create all those groups. Actually I haven't made anything with lots of buttons/ribbons etc, but I know that at least constrained groups save to dynamic clothing. I always make sure that those groups are setup and saved into the dynamic clothing item.

Not to say there isn't some tedious stuff to do in the cloth room. I actually built a script for my last dynamic item, that automatically set up the collision groups for you, although there were still setting you had to set by hand.

I understand and agree completely, but I find that most casual users just don't agree.

As for the Roccoco stuff, you're correct that the dresses from that period did not allow for much movement. They simply weren't designed for more than standing and dancing. But, our end users expect them to sit properly, morph properly and move properly and complain bitterly when they aren't designed to do so even when it's impossible based on the design of the product.

I have to say that I am just not doing much 3D lately as I'm so thoroughly depressed with the recent threads berating the work of vendors (not at Hivewire, and not any of my products) to the point of petty, nitpicking by customers. Very publicly.

I'm beginning to feel like it's impossible to give customers what they want and you'll be berated for even attempting to do so.

eclark1894

Visionary
Kind of why I stopped working on that Cinderella dress for Dawn. I KNEW it should have been dynamic, but I just kept wanting to make it conforming.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
IIRC: Flat paniers (England ~1740)- I belive it's on pic- allowed to sit, even round paniers (from ~1700) were far shorter than crinolins.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Lucky they mostly only wore them at court were you were not allowed to sit in front of the Queen so really you didn't need to be able to sit in them :)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I would totally adore histrically correct clothing from about 1750 (Europe) - Roccoco clothing ... but also from other periods. I'm areal sucker for period costumes

Ooooh yes. A conforming figure might work for the dresses with a close-fitting bodice and a hooped or pannier skirt (without conforming the skirt to the legs- give it its own bones)? Dynamic would be the most realistic way for lots of lots of clothing, though. Anything with a lot of fabric volume. If you've ever done any costuming, you'll know how much thought goes into selecting the fabric type and the warp direction in the pattern pieces to get the right drape and flow in the completed clothing. You can never truly replicate that with a rigid conforming figure, not even with JCMs, although the best figures do a fairly good job.

If I ever find the time in my growing list of Things To Do, I'll try turning the mantua gown I made (in real life, out of fabric, I mean) into an obj. (although I'm slightly more eager to dress Dusk in a frock coat).

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
There is no hooped skirt or crinoline under a roccoco dress (as phdubrov says) only paniers, and they werent always extremely wide, infact, roccoco clothing supposed to be more comfortable than the stiff things from spanish rennaissance or formal baroque court dress^^ btw. that thing on the images does not consist of a bodice and 2 skirts but there a corset as underwear (and the paniers and quite some underskirts but of course in a render you wouldn't see those), a skirt and above those comes the contouche (a kind of mantle) wich goes from shoulders to bottom with sleeves and all and is more or less tight in the back, often only draped in folds, often open ant the front to allow a view of the skirt, and (my english deserts me there) a often heavy adorned triangular piece comes above the front of corset to hide that piece of underwear (you can see both quite good here: Führung: Damenmode des 18. Jahrhunderts)
so I'm not a modeller, but I'd think the contouche almost had to be dynamic for a flowing look^^ which was a wanted look - the roccoco wanted to be more playful and flowing unless of course we're talking of formal court dress^^

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
so I'm not a modeller, but I'd think the contouche almost had to be dynamic for a flowing look^^ which was a wanted look - the roccoco wanted to be more playful and flowing unless of course we're talking of formal court dress^^

Hmm, good points by a lot of people about this type of dress. I think to get it to work right you would have to make it hybrid, not so much because of the bodice (which you could also do as a separate piece) but because you would need some sort of frame under the skirt for it to collide with otherwise over a long sim, it's shape would fall apart completely. It's something to think about.

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
I have a dynamic dress by tipol I think where a simple cone prop goes under the skirt for it to colide with to give the skirt a wide shape. As this is totally invisible - in fact you can delete it after simulation - I think something like that would work in this case, too?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hmm, good points by a lot of people about this type of dress. I think to get it to work right you would have to make it hybrid, not so much because of the bodice (which you could also do as a separate piece) but because you would need some sort of frame under the skirt for it to collide with otherwise over a long sim, it's shape would fall apart completely. It's something to think about.
I have a dynamic dress by tipol I think where a simple cone prop goes under the skirt for it to colide with to give the skirt a wide shape. As this is totally invisible - in fact you can delete it after simulation - I think something like that would work in this case, too?

Yeah, there's a couple of products like this on the market. There's a K4 one - Wynter - I think it's called that uses a frame under the dress.

In order to get the ruffling and draping to fall right, I really think you need a dynamic. All of the layers that really make up this look will only work well as dynamic.

Yeah, we could do it conforming, but it just wouldn't move like it's supposed to.