• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I am SO glad you're back!

quietrob

Extraordinary
My first Heinlein book was "Have Spacesuit Will Travel." It was part of his juvenile series and was perfectly suited for a 13 year old boy. After which I consumed everything he wrote and didn't pause until I read "Stranger in a Strange Land".

That was NOT a juvenile book, but it was too late, I was totally corrupted and my views on life and love and heroes have stayed corrupted through the rest of my years. Asimov, had more science fictiony (If that's a word) ideas but wasn't quite the story teller that Robert was. It didn't matter. I still read his Foundation series along with his Robot series. Neither are to be missed.

Just for a little posterity. From your left to Right.
Heinlein, L. Sprague Decamp and Isaac Asimov working together during WW2.
Heinlein to Asimov to Lsprague Decamp.jpg
Astounding Pulp Cover.jpg

One of my favorite real life stories is that Heinlein was broke and decided to enter a writing contest for some cash. The editor of the Scifi pulp magazine Astounding Tales took the story from the contest, wrote Heinlein back and asked him if he had any more. Heinlein never looked back.

You know the last cover is something we could've come up with here at the Hive. Anson McDonald is a nom de plume of Heinlein.

Anson McDonald aka RAH.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Rob, you'd like the collection I have. :)
In the '50s and '60s my dad collected SF books and mags and he gave that collection to me in the late '70s. I've got a soft back first printing of Childhood's End and the first several years of Galaxy for example.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Lets just say, don't trust your Hubby pack the removalist trailer :whistling:

I used to have whole series of books, several series in fact. Eg: One such series had 34 books another 24 but I also had most of that authors other books which number over 30. :cry: (and an antique chair that cost my dad a fortune to restore)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Rob, you'd like the collection I have. :)
In the '50s and '60s my dad collected SF books and mags and he gave that collection to me in the late '70s. I've got a soft back first printing of Childhood's End and the first several years of Galaxy for example.

I think I would love the collection you have. I still drop by any old used book store to look for magazines and paperbacks from the era. Everything is on some type of E-book reader but I still like the feel of the book in my hand.
I didn't get into sci-fi until my first Asimov book, but certainly was hooked after that. :)

I really didn't read Asimov until I exhausted all available Heinlein's. Fortunately the book I chose was Foundation. Now there is a series of books that I wish were made into a trilogy.
Lets just say, don't trust your Hubby pack the removalist trailer :whistling:

I used to have whole series of books, several series in fact. Eg: One such series had 34 books another 24 but I also had most of that authors other books which number over 30. :cry: (and an antique chair that cost my dad a fortune to restore)

When I think of just the comic books my Mom tossed...good thing I look like her kin. I love you, Mom but grrrrr!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I really didn't read Asimov until I exhausted all available Heinlein's. Fortunately the book I chose was Foundation. Now there is a series of books that I wish were made into a trilogy.
Considering there were 8 books in the series, why would you only want a trilogy? Or do you mean a movie trilogy?

There was also The Second Foundation's 3 books, written by Gregory Benford, Greg Bear, and David Brin to honor Isaac Asimov, after he passed. Also very good.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I only read the First 3 Foundation books. I honestly didn't know he wrote more. I know I've been to0 Heinlein Centric in my choices and couldn't wait for the Master deliver another story as his health finally improved. Certainly that was my mistake and I find another Author to take his place. After seeing what it took to bring Lord of the Rings to the screen I doubt anyone will adapting my favorite books anytime soon.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, the first 3 books are all short stories. I read somewhere years ago, that he wrote those to be published in a sci-fi magazine back in the 1930s, and it was his book publisher (he wrote more than just sci-fi books) that convinced him to collect them, and have them published as books. He wrote the other books after that.

The first prequel was already published when I discovered him, so I got to read it before I read the three older books, so the storyline, for me at least, was better.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Gosh. We're talking late 50s, early 60s, I have absolutely no idea whether I read Heinlein or Asimov first. Mostly likely, I read them at the same time. I checked out just about every book in Science Fiction and Mystery. We'd bike to the public library every two weeks, and I'd check out about 10 books at a time. It wasn't uncommon for me to be out of books before it was time to bike back :p

Back in those days, parents would buy a set of encyclopedia britannica ... yep. I read the entire set front to back. Amazing the things you will read when you have nothing else to read. I'd even read my dad's paperback westerns. Though, I did like Zane Grey.

I drew the line though at romance novels. Nope. Not a fan of those a-tall a-tall!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Funny thing is, as much as I love reading now, I hated it back when I was in grade school and/or high school. The only reading I did back then was required for school.

As for romance novels, I'll only read Historical Romance on occasion, because at least there's well known history in the stories, which always keeps me interested.

Terre

Renowned
Actually, the first 3 books are all short stories. I read somewhere years ago, that he wrote those to be published in a sci-fi magazine back in the 1930s, and it was his book publisher (he wrote more than just sci-fi books) that convinced him to collect them, and have them published as books. He wrote the other books after that.

The first prequel was already published when I discovered him, so I got to read it before I read the three older books, so the storyline, for me at least, was better.
And then he merged the Foundation and Robot universes. That was a bit too much of a stretch for me.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'm an omnivorous, eclectic reader of almost everything except most romance. I am not a prude (I'm a rock chick from the 70's) but I like my romances to stay out of the bedroom. I find it extremely tedious.

quietrob

Extraordinary
As far as starting...I read comic books when I was about five years old and was furious at the teacher for making read, "Just for Fun". It was supposed to be our first book. "See the Ball. The Ball is red." It made me want to slap the teacher. (I didn't. I was in love with her so I forgave her) I was already reading in polysyllables like "My cape is an impenetrable shield of steel," as was looking forward to what school had to offer. I still think they were holding out on me. Really I think a lot of the class was the same way. Kids are capable of so much and are given overly simplistic material. By the sixth grade I had read every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy mystery they had in our library. Luckily our school Librarian suggested "Have Space Suit will Travel." Faith Restored!

As far as romance novels I never gave them a thought. There was enough romance in the "Moon is a harsh Mistress" to satisfy me. Like Miss B, I do like historical love stories and I rather enjoyed Wuthering Heights, Cough Cough the movie.

I don't think it's a surprise that so many creative people on this thread are or were voracious readers. Kinda Nice to know.

Terre

Renowned
Lorraine said :"omnivorous, eclectic reader of almost everything except most romance". That fits me pretty well too.

Rob said: "I don't think it's a surprise that so many creative people on this thread are or were voracious readers. Kinda Nice to know." Agreed.

Miss B

CV-BEE
And then he merged the Foundation and Robot universes. That was a bit too much of a stretch for me.
It's funny you mention that, as I read the 3 robot novels before I got further into the Foundation series, so it was nice to eventually see how they met (in the first Foundation prequel), and how things developed along the way.

Except for the original I Robot, I never really got into the short stories, so never bought the huge compendiums of robot books.

Terre

Renowned
My impression from reading the first three Robot stories is that the lifespan of the Spacers came from them simply being born and living somewhere other than on Earth. If that is true then why didn't later colonists have the same thing happen to them? Otherwise the books fit together rather well.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I love Heinlein, my brother introduced me to him when I was about 15...just loved Stranger in a Strange Land but also Fear No Evil they are both awesome reads and Fear No Evil is just the right length for a book.

@Lorraine, add to your list the Romances and also cheap western novels (think Larry and Stretch which I just can't find anymore(all my grandfather's fault as he used to read them)), teaching books or books on child development. I'm reading a great book at the moment called 'The out of sync child' about kids who have Sensory Processing Disorder.
Kids are capable of so much and are given overly simplistic material
I couldn't let this go by...years ago this was the case and I remember similar problems at school. I used to sit on my mum's knee reading and comprehending her book quicker than she could. I do think schools have improved some. Diagnositics tests for reading certainly have as we test not only for decoding but also comprehension and also book knowledge(E.G. think about why the author has used that particular diagram, what's he trying to achieve). Comprehension including literal and inference.
The biggest problem with good readers (my kids are grade 1/2's) is to find books that are challenging but are also suitable reads for their ages. I know that some of the books at higher levels kids can read(decode) but aren't fully comprehending sometimes because the material is beyond the developmental level you would expect for that age group. Surprisingly good readers come unstuck with the comprehension side of things.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I have been without internet for the last several days. Even now it's touch and go. I will be back in port soon, though. I hope I can get a WIFI signal somewhere...