• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help, this is just WEIRD! Lines on Sora in 3dl

Szark

Awesome
what lighting
what shader
are you using.

I would say it is more likely to be a shading rate and since you have already tried the render settings shading rate I have to ask what shader and what lights.

Szark

Awesome
buckets won't fix this issue.
Pixel Samples X and Y are only good for Dof.
Max Ray Trace Depth is only good for ray traced functions like reflection and SSS etc. Having it on 0 will still give you ray traced shadows but no reflections. So for render times use what you only need to and no more. :)
Shadow samples is only good for soft shadows, the softer the higher you go. Again use what you need to get clean soft shadows.

Shading Rate is the final ultimate quality control for a crisp render with the above settings right.

This to me is a shading rate issue but Uber Environment has a shading rate and I think Uber Surface and AOA have it. So it could be one of those.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Try setting shading rate at 1.00 and then go from there. Render at 1 and see what you get. .90 etc.

Also too are there any updates to the program you have not installed?

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Hi Lorraine,

I just find your thread and I will try to help. I am not sure if HiveWire changed any of the material presets that I sent to them originally. I will download the official version of Sora later and I will check the presets. I just tested the original materials and I couldn't reproduce the issue as you can see in the screen that I captured. But anyways there are some info that may be can help you.

Please, try downloading and installing the latest public version of DAZ Studio. The version that I have installed in my machine is 4.9.3.166.

Remember to change the renderer to 3Delight in the Render Settings to view the 3DL materials correctly on the Viewport.

There are some new lights that affect the appearance of the 3Delight materials, please delete all the lights and test the same scene using older lights made for 3Delight

Sometimes those lines appear if the SSS Group ID of the Face and the SSS Group ID of the Head/Neck materials are different. The materials preset that I kept stored in my machine have a Group ID = 98 (see attached)

Select all of the Skin materials as shown on the Screen capture attached and verify that the Bump Noise Strength = 0

While you keep all the skin materials selected try reducing the Bump Strength 40% and keep reducing the value until you see if the lines disappear.

CaptureBump.JPG
CaptureGroupID.JPG

Last edited:

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'm afraid it's not good news. Upgraded to 4.9.3.166. Here is Sora, 3dl mats, 3dl renderer, one basic distant light with ray-tracing, bump down to .10%, render shading rate .10%

latest-web.jpg

jecnodde

Admirable
Hmm I still think its some of the parameters of the shaders. Take the one for the arms and compare to the one for the chest. Go through eash one - takes time and its easy to miss one. Oh and look at bump extra. I have seen that sometimes...even if you have all material zones selected, changes dont happened. Odd as h*** but can still happen. So best is to change each material. Or is it just DS not playing well with me :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Really odd Lorraine as I'm using the version of DS you now have installed with no issues. I think like Szark and JecNodde said it is most likely a shader/lighting issue. What lights are you using? We've checked the render shading rate and if you're applying the 3Delight mat that should be the same as what I'm using...so I'm thinking it could be a lights issue and as mentioned Uber Environment does have a shading rate...I've seen this happen with some prop environments with the wrong lights.

Lorraine

All I used was a basic distant light, nothing fancy at all. I pretty much always set up my own lights rather than use presets. And I don't use Uberenvironment as I can't be faffed waiting for it to render. Maybe I need to try something fancy.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Do you have any light sets? Maybe try using the one that comes with Alexis? 3DUniverse did a really nice set...

Lorraine

And no, that didn't make any difference, in fact all the seams are even darker and more pronounced. I downloaded Sora again today and reinstalled hoping that might help but no. Looks like I'll have to use the iray skins if I want to use her. So frustrating and baffling :(