• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Development thread - Harry Fitroom Kit

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Heyas!

I brought this up in another thread and there has been enough interest I think, so I'm going to start work on a Harry Fitroom Kit

What is that? you ask. Well a fitroom kit is a set of pose and magnet helpers to make converting clothing conformers from X to Y easier using the Poser fitting room. You CAN use these kits in DS or without the fitroom, but you will have more steps and it is a little trickier.

Figures I am looking at in this round - Target is Harry the HiveWire Horse.

Donors are the Poser 4 horse, The DAZ MilHorse, and the Charger .

Currently disqualified for lack of conformers - Bone Horse (0), Comet (0), DAZ Zebra (0), Heavy Horse(?), Diamond (2)

Please nominate another horse or approximately equine shaped animal if you think I missed any - it must have 4 or more conformers existing before I think it is worth making a conversion kit. Conformers are saddles, bridles, or any other conforming clothing like item. I'm not counting horseshoes, horns, tails, manes and wings.

I may not be able to work with any of the nominated critters if I simply do not have them or cannot sweet talk the creator out of a copy :)

LM

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well I'm just thrilled that you will be doing this... I collected everything I could get my hands on for the P4 horse, Charger and Mil horse... :) Often your Fit Helpers work without even having to go into the poser fit room! (which confuses the heck out of me, and frustrates me often!)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Terrific...one question...does that mean ican use the Dusk fitroom in ds also? i picked it up yesterday as I thought it would be useful to be able to convert stuff stuff in poser. I can do m4 and genesis in ds with clones but I don't have an m3 clone. so that would be useful. I haven't had chance to even look at it yet just downloaded it yesterday.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Luna ... isn't Luna a human baby? ... must be another one. Link to main figure please?

And you mean LLF's toon unicorns? I don't have the base figures, so I'd have to ask her about it. Also, I'm not certain how many conformers they have that would need to be converted, the other direction, possibly (fully armored tall leggy unicorn? do we need this?) . But right now I'm just looking at converting TO Harry.

DH2 is DAZ only I think and my methodology is poser based. I may not be able to make a kit like normal. I'll look at it, but no promises there.

Pendraia - I answered your question about the Dusk magnets in the thread Lyne started about them. But yes, can be used in DS with some small changes.

Lyne - I wouldn't say I have everything for the poser 4 horse and charger, but I have a fair amount. Honestly I'm not sure how well some of them will convert up due to mesh density. The p4 horse had 1? 2? neck sections and Harry has something like 10. There might not be enough polys to go around! But I'm determined to get that sidesaddle and Lipizzaner set on Harry if nothing else :)

LM

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Luna ... isn't Luna a human baby? ... must be another one. Link to mn thisain figure please?
This is the only Luna I'm aware of in the HW store.

Baby Luna

Unless, of course, she's referring to a saddle fit for Luna, though I'm not sure that's what she meant.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
For the long Legged one, I was talking about The Unicorn, that used to be on Runtime DNA, that is now on DAZ3d. It has a lot of accessories.

Luna is a little cartoon horse/pegasus/unicorn, Luna - Poser - ShareCG.

Overall I was just listing some other horse types I knew of.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well one thing I found is the P4 horse's SIDE SADDLE will take subdivision WELL, so I think the mesh is better for it at least. :)

oh wait, I think it worked with Daio's Fantasy tack... which I FAKED fitting to Harry in this piece:
it's an illusion with lots of layers/post work... and I know she WANTED to have it re-done to make new textures for the set, for Harry... you should contact her? It's got so much to it...

Last edited:

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Lyne
Looks good! I don't have that set unfortunately, but in theory if I get this to work you can convert your own copy. Or Daio can. The only thing that is going to be fiddly on all the sets is an reins that have multiple custom segments. I'll have to see what the best approach is for those. Reshape-and-parent would be the simplest. Regular saddles and so forth should be easier to handle since those are regular bodyparts for the most part.

I did find the old zebra tack, but considering the zebra itself is no longer available, I think I can skip that one. *lol* Man I feel old!

Still working on my christmas freebie dishes today, but once those are done I'll get started on this properly.

LM

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Well stage one is underway - first the basic pose. Interesting to see the subtle variations this way. When overlaying the two horses I can see right away which ones have longer legs or necks and that the milhorse's rump is very high compared to all the others. After I make the basic pose I try out various items on the target with the pose to see if the pose needs adjusting and how much deformation is needed and where. The charger of course has a much stockier body so that will need some serious changes made on the torso.

Here is the MH spinebender amor rough fitted to Harry. As you can see some areas need to have deformers added.

spinebender_poseonly.png

And here is "Helmuts Harness" for the poser 4 horse. Don't ask me where or when it came from *lol* Most likely a freebie.

helmut p4h harness.png
As you can see I need to adjust the pose for the hind end as the whaddycallit .. crupper? loop round the base of the tail hasn't lined up properly.

The sidesaddle may yet defeat me .. it appears to be a prop dangit. So I may just make a freebie morph for it and have done *lol* All in all pretty much what I expected as far as issues. The charger fit will be the most difficult since that will probably take a little back-and-forth with magnets to get that giant girth sized down to a non-draft horse. The p4 horse items suffer from well .. being a wild grab bag of assembly methods. I tried out four p4 horse sets and found one prop saddle, one conformer (the harness), one conformer-plus-props that was built incorrectly and now breaks on load, and one that is rigged but meant to load-and-parent. Not much I can do about that I'm afraid. It will make converting older items a wild adventure for the brave :)

LM

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Breaching is what the bit round the back legs is called ;) Crupper is the bit under the tail.
So thrilled to see this is happening, I have your Dusk and Dawn kits wishlisted till the $$ free up some though this may ended up jumping right into the runtime when it comes out lol.
Most of what I have is milHorse and Charger, one thought what about the armor etc from the milDragon and subDragon?

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Progress is progressing. More or less. I think this set is going to have to be labeled as 'intermediate to advanced users' .. I've found a lot of weird construction issues in various sets that I have tested that cause a number of issues. I think the tutorial for this one is going to have to be a bit longer to cover some of the outside cases. So far the only serious issue is the sets where the creator decided not to follow the sacred rule of poser rigging "There shall be an unbroken chain from Hip to your last bodypart in the chain". Some of the bridles break and cannot accept a pose because of this. It's fixable, but annoying. The props again also present issues.

I hadn't thought of looking at dragon tack .. is there enough to bother with for a single figure ? more than 5 conformers? I think the neck length and the tail may not be compatible.

Heres the Helmut harness, now with magnets.

helmut harness with magnets.png

Dreamer thanks for the lesson :) I confess that it's been a really really long time since I've had to deal with horse harness. I'm surprised I remembered as much as I did !

and here's the Mihorse Wild Rose tack set. That one gave me a brand new issue .... if you apply magnets to a thing and it doesn't budge its either a) a prop or b) set to not bend. The latter is really rare, so Daio got me with this one *lol* Took me ten minutes of futzing before I thought to check it.

wildrose MH on harry.png

LM

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I hadn't thought of looking at dragon tack .. is there enough to bother with for a single figure ? more than 5 conformers? I think the neck length and the tail may not be compatible.
After looking there are only two sets of armor/tack for the milDragon, so no.

Dreamer thanks for the lesson :) I confess that it's been a really really long time since I've had to deal with horse harness. I'm surprised I remembered as much as I did !

LM
Your welcome I am a horse nut from way back lol and use to make model harness and saddles from leather scraps and embroidery cotton hehe

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So far the only serious issue is the sets where the creator decided not to follow the sacred rule of poser rigging "There shall be an unbroken chain from Hip to your last bodypart in the chain".

Hmm, that's funny to me, only because when I made my first attempt at rigging I tried to break that rule (not knowing any better) and couldn't. However, that was in a much later version of Poser so they may have closed any such loopholes.

Sadly, most of my horse stuff not for Harry, is for the DazHorse 2 (mostly because once upon a time I bought one of the bundles). But I'll be excited to see what you do. It might be a good reason to get some other stuff for the other horse models if it can be used with Harry.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I too bought the DH2 bundle so have lots for him. Just for interest, here is a comparison render, I've lined them all up at the top of the front legs. Harry is in front, then DazHorse2 (bay) and furthest away is MilHorse.
horse comparsion.jpg

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I have just about finished my development phase on this set. Good timing! I have my 2 days off and then I can come back and write out the tutorial, which is going to be more comprehensive than usual simply to cover all the issues I've run into on these sets.

chargertack1.png chargertack2.png
Here is the classic Charger tack on Harry, first with just the pose and then with the pose and magnets. This one had two issues - One: the Bridle had missing bodyparts and wouldn't accept the pose, so I quicky rerigged it to make it behave. The second issue is almost more of a feature .. the reins and the stirrups are separate non conforming figures parented to the saddle and bridle. So those just get moved into place and reparented. This does mean though you can steal those bits to glue on other sets, just in case you needed reins for anything I suppose.

I'm going to have a fast look at the MH2, but DS and I do not get along at all. So I may not have much success.

On missing bodyparts - although you can rig say a hat to just Head and delete everything else and have it work that is conditional. It may work just fine in Poser, but the moment you use any convertor, or any system that presumes it has followed the rules ... blammo. This means that the item for example cannot be converted, cannot be exported/imported to any program using a third party exporter and so on. Honestly its better to just follow the rules and have the tiny extra bit of data in the cr2. DAZ however has never thought this was an issue and so their QA, to my knowledge, has never enforced this. I have several purchased sets I had to rerig so they would function properly outside of Poser. A minor annoyance if you know what is going on, but a complete mystery to the inexperienced user.

Many people rigging for poser use utilities to rig and / or edit the cr2. This brings in the options for even more fun and exciting mistakes. I detailed a few of those in the Troubleshooting chapter of my book. (Nerd tells me it is the best chapter ..... I think that's just because he added some examples) Deleting parts and dials that should never be deleted is one of those issues that doesn't come up in regular (poser based) rigging.

LM