• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is considered correct conforming for Shoes?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I was checking my weight mapping on my shoes I'm making for Luna. When you go to the Toes body part on Luna and bend them, it looks fine. When you use the toe curl option in the controls on the body, the toes stick out.

Is that okay? If not, I'm not really sure how to adjust the weight map to take that control into account. Or should my shoes have bones for all the toes? I just gave them the foot and toe bone. I guess what I'm asking is how much individual toe control does a figure need inside of shoes?

You can see the right foot as the Toe Curl set, the Left foot has the Toes part bent.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Do you have bones for the toes? I would think if you need it to follow the toes there should be the same bone structure that Dawn has at least the foot and the toes. I'm not sure about the rest though but you would need the toes so it would follow when you bend Lunas toes...wouldn't it?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I just have the one main toe bone at the moment. Luna is so small that I dread trying to weight map each toe. As it is, I can't use a brush more than one vertex big. I guess the question is, since in real life you often can't fully curl your toes in shoes. I do have a couple pairs if shoes built specifically for Dawn, and they do the same thing.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hmmm...I wouldn't do the toes separately but as one unit...you know how dawn goes lfoot/ltoes I wouldn't go further than that though. Think about a child going on tippy toes wouldn't you need it for that?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So yeah, I have the toes as one group/bone. When I bend that bone on Luna I get the result on the left foot, the right foot is what happens when I use the toe curl option.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...I don't think that people would use the toe curl when wearing shoes. I only ever use the toe bend.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Toe curl is a morph, not a weight map. If you choose to modify the toe curl, invoke the morph, then bring up the morph brush.

Once there, choose the toes>morph>and choose the Toe Curl from the list.

Then, proceed, using the morph brush to alter the morph "in place" for it to work properly.

Once done, save the CR2 and the Toe Curl morph is permanently altered to work with your shoes.

I would also strongly suggest NOT weight mapping each toe in your shoes. Luna's individual toes intrude on each other and are impossible to weight map individually in a shoe/sock that doesn't have separate toes. I fought those toes on Luna's socks for a week before I finally gave up. :)

If you have my Luna freebie, Clothing Basics, feel free to Copy Joints from the socks in the set. There is also a Hide/UnHide Toes pose in that set you may find useful.

LunaSocks.jpg

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Toe curl is a morph, not a weight map. If you choose to modify the toe curl, invoke the morph, then bring up the morph brush.

That makes sense as to why I was having trouble with it. Thanks for the tip, and I'll check out your clothing basics, if for no other reason than so poor Luna will have more to wear.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks Traci...good info!

You're welcome.

That makes sense as to why I was having trouble with it. Thanks for the tip, and I'll check out your clothing basics, if for no other reason than so poor Luna will have more to wear.

Any of my freebies are always available to be used as rigging resources (Copy Joint Zones From). I doubt the socks will give you "instant" perfect rigging as the shoes are modeled differently, but they will get you on the road to being almost finished with minor touchup.

And, there's a pair of Shoes in the Overalls set, if you would find that rigging easier to use.