• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is a "DECO"???

eclark1894

Visionary
So I'm looking up 2 D Graphics and I run across the term "DECO". First time i ever heard it. Can anyone help me out here?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Well depends on how you use it.

Deco as in Art Deco - a style of decorative art developed orig. in the 1920s and marked chiefly by geometric motifs, curvilinearforms, and sharply defined outlines. The Empire State Building is an example of Art Deco. Alphonse Mucha does art in the style of Art Deco, but his art movement is defined as Art Nouveau.

https://www.google.com/search?q=art...waPWAhXq5oMKHRbDAokQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=925

It can also refer to any element of design that can be placed as a decoration onto something.

These are considered Decos.

Pommerlis' new textures for Clarette Rose are considered Art Deco.

Last edited:

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And get confused. I've done searches for the Empire State Building and got images for the Chrysler building.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Really? Hmmm, that's odd. They are very similar in design, but not exactly the same.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Another Art Deco building on a smaller scale. The Midland Hotel here in Morecambe. Designed by Oliver Hill in Streamline Moderne style with sculptures and murals by Eric Gill (which are well worth looking up online). The Art Deco style, although now mostly known by the remaining buildings embraced everything from clothing, painting (including poster art), jewelry, architecture and furniture design.

Midland Hotel 1.jpg

McGyver

Energetic
Could it be a reference to Adobe Flash CS4's Deco Tool?
I've heard arts & crafts people refere to small fancy detail items as "deco parts" (but not as in "Art Deco" more like "decoration"... But that could just be a regional or local thing.
Despotic Evil Constipated Octopuses? Department of Environmentally Concerned Otters? Dramatically Erotic Chinchilla Operettas? Delightfully Economic Cattle Overalls?
Ah... I got nothin...

eclark1894

Visionary
Renderosity seems to be the only ones really calling it that although you can type in Deco in DAZ's search engine. CP has a Graphics and textures category but nothing called Deco. As far as I can tell, Hivewire makes no mention of it.

Nod

Adventurous
Another Art Deco building on a smaller scale. The Midland Hotel here in Morecambe. Designed by Oliver Hill in Streamline Moderne style with sculptures and murals by Eric Gill (which are well worth looking up online). The Art Deco style, although now mostly known by the remaining buildings embraced everything from clothing, painting (including poster art), jewelry, architecture and furniture design.

View attachment 29992
Didn't that hotel feature in an episode of Poirot?

I love Art Deco. There's an old Odeon cinema (now closed) which is Art Deco. It's being converted into offices and flats, so at least it's not being knocked down.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Didn't that hotel feature in an episode of Poirot?

I love Art Deco. There's an old Odeon cinema (now closed) which is Art Deco. It's being converted into offices and flats, so at least it's not being knocked down.

It has indeed, on a number of occasions but most notably in the episode 'Double Sin'. This is the view from the other end showing the main entrance. The long glass frontage is an original feature incidentally, and contains the tea room, bar and dining area. I don't know why, but every time I pass it I feel like there should be one of those blue plaques on the wall saying, 'Dan Dare lived here'!

007.jpg
:

Last edited: