• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

TIME SENSITIVE!!! ISS is going over "me" tonight, 5 pm!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
George sent me this...

Guess what, if you want to, you have a perfect opportunity to see the ISS for yourself! I’m not sure how often the conditions are this perfect for seeing it like this, but Tomorrow night will be one of the most perfect passes you could possibly have to see it from your house.

From YOUR house at 5:04 PM YOUR TIME, look to the South-West and you’ll absolutely be able to see the ISS come across your sky from 5:04 to 5:10 PM. The timing is EXACT. It travels so fast that it goes completely across the sky in 6 minutes and 22 seconds. You may even be able to figure out which windows you could watch it from and not have to go outside.

5:04 PM - you’ll be able to see it coming toward you from the South West
5:06 PM - About 45° almost directly West
5:07 PM - Way up overhead Slightly North West
5:10 PM - It will disappear into the North East horizon

I live in San Diego, but the map shows most of southern calif could... and it's ONLY partly cloudy (high clouds) so hoping!! Here Is the link he sent too:
ISS observation

I put in the town my mother lives in, further north of me, as I keep my exact town private... ;) But if you live out here, you can put in YOUR town... looks like San Francisco will have the very best view...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, it's going to be viewable here in NY for a little over 4 minutes at 5:50pm today, but it looks like it'll be seen for almost 6 minutes tomorrow starting at 5:00pm.

Lucky me, the big picture window in my living room faces WSW, the building on the next block isn't that close, and I'm on the top floor. I think I'm going to have a very good view. ;)

Now to remind myself to check it out. :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
It comes overhead and is visible (assuming you have good weather) a LOT, so don't worry if you miss it today ;)

Go here and sign up and they'll send emails when it's coming with all the info you need:

International Space Station

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
CLOUDS! :cry:

yes, but I'd never check the e mails enough and being so close to the ocean, for me... well... ! two layers of clouds... low, fluffy ocean stuff and high semi-tropical even when weather reports say 'mostly clear'...

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
turned out the next night was crystal clear, and the ISS was due to go over LOS ANGELES, which is much closer to me than San Fran...So I went out and stood there... but not only as it sooo COLD (and windy) I guess the houses were too tall (2 story) for me to see low enough on the horizon? San Diego is shaped funny and after living here for over 30 years (gasp!) I STILL can't figure out my north and south.... ANYWAY, until I see it will go DIRECTLY over San Diego, I won't try again... but now it's on my Bucket List! ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I missed it the first few days, as it's been getting cloudy every afternoon.

Today, however, is crystal clear and sunny, so even though the sun will have set by then, I hope I can see something, even if for only a couple of minutes.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I saw it! I saw it! I saw it! I saw the ISS go over! Clear as crystal I saw the international space station go across the sky last night!
I'm still excited about it, can you tell ? it was a thrill… (Talking to you with Dragon and having a bit of trouble with it )I had looked at the weather and the website to tell when it was due to go overhead and all the elements came together because it went smack dab right over San Diego …so it 6:03 I was standing in the middle of the street gazing up and there was! It goes really fast! But I was able to watch it more or less from one horizon to the other, aside from the houses in the way but it was a lot of sky that I could see it .I had to put one hand up to block out the 1 Amber St. light on my street but that was okay .anybody that saw me probably thought what is his crazy old lady doing running back and forth across the street (gated community very quiet street I was safe no worries) but whether thrill… Oh I already said that didn't I ?:)It was so clear that I could see the shape of the main body… Not the solar sails but the body. I went online just a bit ago to see who the crew is currently and that was neat because I saw that Peggy Whitson is on board along with another American. Three Russians and one guy from France are on board also. I looked it up on NASA under current missions to see who was on board. I feel like I shared reality with them… wait, that doesn't make a lot of sense… but I just feel like I was with them …does that make any sense? I was tempted to try to use my camera on zoom but I was afraid it would take too much time to find it and of course it was going very fast so I just had to save the image in my mind .

Miss B

CV-BEE
Good for you Lyne. One of these days, when daylight lasts longer, I'm going to try to see it here as well, though I'll probably have to walk to the main boulevard (1 block) as it's 12 lanes wide (with parking), so I'll have a better view. If I could get up to the roof of my building (locked access), I would do that, because then the view would be unobstructed, but I doubt that'll happen.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Cool! I did see it once but I keep forgetting to go out when it's there and clear :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
It's pretty cool when you see it. I have a few times when dinghying home in the dark, along with the odd shooting star, magic :)