• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Spin Tool...

eclark1894

Visionary
Never heard of it? I'm not surprised. Before a week or so ago, I'd never used it. I didn't even really know how to use it. But as I said, a couple of weeks ago I was making some handles for a door and thought it would look cool if the handle curved around. I had seen a video on You Tbe that said what the Spin Tool was supposed to do, but it never said or showed me how to do it. So I tried it, and it worked. I was estatic. Here's the other shoe dropping. I couldn't figure out how to do it again. So I looked it up in the documentation.

Here goes:

The Spin tool extrudes (or duplicates it if the selection is manifold) the selected elements, rotating around a specific point and axis.

a. The point of view (Meaning how you're viewing it through the viewport) will determine around which axis the extrusion spins…

b. The position of the 3D cursor will be the center of the rotation.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Where is the spin tool? Just looked for it but didn't see it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Where is the spin tool? Just looked for it but didn't see it.
It's located on the Blender Tool shelf: Unfortunately, I'm not if front of my home computer, or I'd post a screen shot to show you exactly where it is. But it is located where you find the Loop Controls and Subdivide tools.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'll take a look at that in a few minutes. The class I'm taking at Udemy teaches it by having you make Bowling Pins. I've done Spin modeling before, though it was years ago with a Rhino 3D 30-day trial, and once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

Here's a Wine Goblet I was playing with the other day. The one in front is the one I modeled, and the other two are just duplicates. This is NOT a Cycles render. I haven't gotten around to playing with it for this set.

WineGobletSpin.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, but I'm taking a Blender class because it teaches things I haven't tried in Blender, Spin modeling being one of them. Now that I've done it with these wine goblets, I'm going to try the bowling pins for the class project with a little more confidence. ;)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Yes, but I'm taking a Blender class because it teaches things I haven't tried in Blender, Spin modeling being one of them. Now that I've done it with these wine goblets, I'm going to try the bowling pins for the class project with a little more confidence. ;)
Oh, no worries. I really was just making sure you (the collective you, not singular) knew that the modifier, which does the same thing non-destructively, is right there in the list. And you can just apply it to accomplish the same thing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, there's quite a large number of modifiers in Blender, some I've played with, and some I haven't . . . yet. ;)