• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Thanks everyone and some nice news!

cath_post_001.jpg
Sadly poserdirect will be still be closing down around the 19th of October 2018. But I would like to say thanks to everyone who's "donated" at the site so far, your input has managed to help achieve something amazing.

A model building workshop for nearly 20 Outsider Artists, held in the East Wing of a 500 year old Cathedral (red area on 1st image). Outsider Artists are artists, who for various reasons, such as health or wealth, encounter barriers to entering the mainstream art world.

While the workshop was organised by Pallant House Gallery and Chichester Cathedral, who asked me to lead. Your "donations" did directly allow me to design, develop and prepare some 3d designed stuff for the workshop.

In particular two card models:

A "Make your own Cathedral" kit. Designed using Carrra 5, This has pre-cut parts to assist those with hand mobility issues. Optional parts. Also designed to allow participants to learn some new artistic techniques, such applying scenics.

One model based on a medieval building in the Cathedral precinct (blue area on 1st image).

Also designed and created supporting material, such as: custom made brick paper for those wished to "freehand" their own creations. Instructions. A revised version of the model making handbook that's available in my sites freebies. Plus an overview of how 3d models are made and converted to paper.

Work is now starting for another workshop for February: Gargoyles & Grotesques.
Base heads are partly made in sculptris and sliced with Autocad's 360. Prints are stuck on cardboard box card, cut out with a lithum powered hand cutter, before tinfoil is hot glued on. On the day the participants will apply air-dry clay, and other bits, before applying paint washes and sponged on paint to age their models.

Hence thank you and please don't forget there’s still roughly a week left, so please grab any freebies, etc that you want now.

Attachments

• cath_post_002.jpg
    cath_post_002.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 152

Hornet3d

Wise
View attachment 41691 Sadly poserdirect will be still be closing down around the 19th of October 2018. But I would like to say thanks to everyone who's "donated" at the site so far, your input has managed to help achieve something amazing.

A model building workshop for nearly 20 Outsider Artists, held in the East Wing of a 500 year old Cathedral (red area on 1st image). Outsider Artists are artists, who for various reasons, such as health or wealth, encounter barriers to entering the mainstream art world.

While the workshop was organised by Pallant House Gallery and Chichester Cathedral, who asked me to lead. Your "donations" did directly allow me to design, develop and prepare some 3d designed stuff for the workshop.

In particular two card models:

A "Make your own Cathedral" kit. Designed using Carrra 5, This has pre-cut parts to assist those with hand mobility issues. Optional parts. Also designed to allow participants to learn some new artistic techniques, such applying scenics.

One model based on a medieval building in the Cathedral precinct (blue area on 1st image).

Also designed and created supporting material, such as: custom made brick paper for those wished to "freehand" their own creations. Instructions. A revised version of the model making handbook that's available in my sites freebies. Plus an overview of how 3d models are made and converted to paper.

Work is now starting for another workshop for February: Gargoyles & Grotesques.
Base heads are partly made in sculptris and sliced with Autocad's 360. Prints are stuck on cardboard box card, cut out with a lithum powered hand cutter, before tinfoil is hot glued on. On the day the participants will apply air-dry clay, and other bits, before applying paint washes and sponged on paint to age their models.

Hence thank you and please don't forget there’s still roughly a week left, so please grab any freebies, etc that you want now.

That is great news and well done for all you have done, I hope it is appreciated. Your next workshop sounds great as I have always had a fascination for Gargoyles & Grotesques, yet it was only recently I found out the difference or at least I was told the difference was that Gargoyle must have a water spout if not is it a Grotesques. I love them any way, water spout or not.

Thanks folks - and yes great fun - as for the difference twixt Gargoyles & Grotesques yes I've been told that as well.
Apparently our cathedral also has some rare decorative medieval corbels* in one of the upper rooms that's not usually open to the public.
But they've said for this workshop, we'll be allowed to go and have a look at these.
*A corbel is a sticky out thing, kinda like a bracket, used to support something above it.

It was also pointed out to me that such buildings didn't have the plain stonework we see today, but where actually brightly painted inside.
Typically nature stuff, but the posh people (who could read) got inspirational quotes. For us unwashed folks, we got murals telling stories, which of course makes sense as there was no stained glass back then. Which is something to consider next time we render a medieval scene.

Our cathedral also has some original bas-relief panels, these where being restored on the day I was there so there was no glass over them.
The mason had left his LED worklight running as well, so a good opportunity for photos :) Originally these too would've been brightly coloured and would've had precious jewels - like rubys - in the eyes. Obviously long since been pinched.

But I did think these would make for a nice 3d model. Perhaps a lithophane, which I've tried to create but it doesn't seem to work that well as a mesh.
Maybe it needs to be 3d printed for it to work properly. So if anyone has any ideas on how to make this I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 137