• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Test renders with Poser Scatter Tool. Having SO much fun!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, Udemy is where I'm taking my courses too. Never heard of Zenva though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Zenva used to sell courses like Udemi, but now they took a turn for evil subscriptions, so I don't buy from them anymore.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Good to know it's not just me who think subscriptions are evil. I think there is something wrong when companies refuse to sell their products.
Yeah. Evil. I don't like timed payments of any kind. ("4 payments of only $xx.xx!") I have money this month. I have no clue about next month. (Or at least I didn't until SSI. Now I know how much next month...assuming the powers that be don't change their minds...or run out of funds.)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yeah. Evil. I don't like timed payments of any kind. ("4 payments of only $xx.xx!") I have money this month. I have no clue about next month. (Or at least I didn't until SSI. Now I know how much next month...assuming the powers that be don't change their minds...or run out of funds.)

It may sound convenient for companies for wanting to earn unconditional money every month, but - like you said - we cannot guarantee we will have it consistently. And in some cases, the total amount may add up to many times what it would cost to just purchase it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't mind software subscriptions that can be claimed as a business expense. And it is a bit easier to budget monthly expense subscriptions, instead of being hit with a dozen renewals the same month. That said, I still prefer upgrading a "recreational" license over a monthly subscription, though I hate pulling money out of savings to upgrade.

I absolutely take advantage of any payment option where I'm able to spread payments over several months with no finance charge. Like ... when my cell phone died over Christmas, and I had to replace it. With my previous phones, the upgrade plans through Verizon allowed me to replace my phone without going into massive debt. But, even though I qualified for an upgrade, the discount was like ... nothing.

It would be different if my income varied greatly month to month.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
It would be different if my income varied greatly month to month.
Yes, it would. Definitely. Being able to wink at something to "write it off as a business expense" is a luxury I've never had. In my life, either it costs me money, or someone else buys it.
I basically avoid anything by monthly subscription because the subscription is not likely to be payable for more than one or two months. And multiple ones add up really fast.
Monthly bills are difficult enough. For a long time power bills only were paid due to the generosity of various agencies, and occasionally local churches. (Now on SSI, and manage them myself, but I still have things missing, or unplugged, which many people would consider necessities. Such as the hot water tank.) Eating happens because of food banks, and the EBT card. And one of my phones was $5 and the other $22. Which still stressed my budget, but was doable. Getting prepaid phone service ($23 every 3 months) instead of contract subscription, also made it possible to actually own a phone.
I like one time payments because I know that it's paid for and is done. I can move on to saving up for the next item.
And I really, really dislike things where the monthly payments are expected to go on for a number of years.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like one time payments because I know that it's paid for and is done. I can move on to saving up for the next item.
And I really, really dislike things where the monthly payments are expected to go on for a number of years.

:yeahthat:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't mind software subscriptions that can be claimed as a business expense.

I would, too, if that was an option to me, but it isn't. Perhaps I would be happier with subscriptions if they were optional, instead of mandatory. In most cases, they refuse to sell the product, leaving subscription as the only option. That's the part I have issues with.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I hate subscriptions because if you stop paying you don't have access to the program anymore. At least my CS is there for good (unless it stops working in future Windows updates).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One of the reasons why I have switched to Corel PaintShop Pro. It's way cheaper than anything Adobe sells, and it comes for a flat 1-time payment, after which it is yours forever.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I've been using PSP for a couple of decades. I think I started with PSP5, then 6, 7 and eventually 9. I didn't update after that because it seemed as though they were going more for folks who wanted to do "photo manipulation" work, rather than creating 2D graphic work from start to finish. At least that's how it seemed to me. I still have PSP7 installed, as I prefer to use it for quick screenshots and such, as it loads up a lot quicker than my PS CS2 does.

I got PSP before Corel took it over from Jasc.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, I have been using it since Jasc as well. Corel had many mediocre release versions, but I think the current is the best ever.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have Photoshop (and the rest of the design suite) CS6 (but its not installed as it was on another computer with died and I haven't updated the CS5 on this computer) because that's what we used at all the places I've worked at (graphic design). But there was no way I was going to go subscription when the CS does what I need for everyday stuff (of course I'd love to use the new stuff, just not worth it to me if its not something I'd use all the time, especially while I'm not working I couldn't afford it anyway).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've been using PS for almost 30 years (since it first came out) and while the version I have still works I don't think I'll learn another program. I used to pick programs up really fast but the older I get the harder it is to learn new stuff lol