• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Technical ? about Iray, sub-D, and uvs

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I'm having an odd problem, illustrated by the screen caps below. Notice the gear in base resolution, textures look fine. However, when applying subdivision, textures start to look distorted. Renders in 3delight, however, look just fine, so I figured it was just a glitch with the subd preview.

Base.jpg

(Fig. 1 Base resolution)

BaseRender.jpg

(Fig. 2 Base render 3DL)

HiRes.jpg

(Fig. 3 Hi-res distortion)

Iray renders, however, retain the weirdness when rendering. It's not a good render, because I had 3delight materials still applied, but you can see the texture distortion.

HiResIrayRender.jpg

(Fig. 4 Iray render retains uv/texture distortion)

Anyone know what's causing this and how it can be fixed?

Thanks.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You need to have some edges close to where you want the sharp bits. Some programs have a function called crease...which will also help.
Edited because as I was rereading I saw you said it was okay in 3Delight renders. What are your mesh resolutions in set at?

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Seems there was a problem with the mesh, the subd was actually pulling it apart slightly. I may not have gotten some verts welded together in the modelling stage. I ended up just deleting this gear and copying and mirroring from the opposite side, as it didnt have the problem. Good advice too about keeping the hard edges, im not too concerned about that in this case.