• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Strange slow down in Poser Pro 2014

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
This just started recently and it has me puzzled.
Poser Pro 2014 has slowed down to a crawl slower than I walk (and that is slow).

I cleared more space on my drives thinking it may need that, checked my settings in Poser and they are still the same.

Now this isn't just a render issue, it is the whole works.
I try to adjust a pose and it takes 15 to 20 minutes to let it work.

Try to adjust the whole scene where it shows in the window and it is like a half hour before it does it.

For now I've reverted to Pro 12 to do my work.
Wonder if I am going to have to un-install and do a reboot, reinstall to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And I do wish that Smith Micro would do one really great SR making it possible to export scenes to Blender and Bryce for rendering too.
I like Blender renders.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't think I've ever used Blender to render anything other than what I'm modeling at the time, but I have seen renders and animations/movies done with it, and they are really quite good.

I agree about porting to Bryce. That's something I've always been able to do with my legacy versions of DS, but haven't a clue how to do it with Poser.

bagginsbill

Inspired
I'm just spitballing. I've had PP2014 appear to be waiting for things causing the kinds of irritating pauses you mentioned. Turns out it was attempting to access dismounted network drives that were only accessible to me while connected to work on the VPN. Conversely, I've seen it poking around in my mounted network drives -- for what I don't know -- which was causing it to speak to my company servers 1500 miles away.

Either way, removing external and network drives may be a help.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thanks, BB.
I found, and seriously don't know how it happened unless my mouse has sticky fingers, there was a full duplicate of the runtime in the main Poser directory with the original one.
I wonder if it caused the problem?
Will check now and see.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, found the problem.
I found two copies of Poser Pro 14 on the main drive and one on the external where I had installed it.
I'm thinking when I installed the latest SR and the one before it I forgot to show DLM where to put it so it put it in the default directory on the main drive.
My poor machine didn't know which one to use...lol.

I just uninstalled all and removed all references from my registry and rebooted before letting DLM reinstall everything to the default directory.
All seems to be working fine and faster now.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh, now that sounds like something I would've done when I was still using WindwsXP.

Since switching to Windows 7, I'm now very particular where everything gets installed, so I always change it from the default, unless it's something like a browser, or some other software that doesn't give you the option to "browse" to where you want it installed.

Glad you got it figured out F_L. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I like to keep my main Poser and run-times on my external but I just forgot to tell my DLM that...lol.

If I can get ahead on these medical bills I want to get an internal 4tb hard drive as my main drive in this computer then it won't matter if it gets put there.
I have so much Poser content and DAZ content that it takes a lot of room.
Especially when doing textures sets in PSD format.

If I get the big drive I can keep all PSD on the external and any images as well.
That will also help increase my speed on this machine.

Poser can get cranky if you forget to tell it where stuff is. :rolleyes:

Kerya

Brilliant
I like to keep my main Poser and run-times on my external but I just forgot to tell my DLM that...lol.

If I can get ahead on these medical bills I want to get an internal 4tb hard drive as my main drive in this computer then it won't matter if it gets put there.
I have so much Poser content and DAZ content that it takes a lot of room.
Especially when doing textures sets in PSD format.

If I get the big drive I can keep all PSD on the external and any images as well.
That will also help increase my speed on this machine.

Poser can get cranky if you forget to tell it where stuff is. :rolleyes:

Wow ... a 4TB harddrive ...

Hornet3d

Wise
I have three drives in my system a 1tb and 2 x 2tb, bit that is not only to support Poser and Vue but my photography as well. None of them are maxed out so I can back them all up to yet another 2tb drive. I love big hard drives but it does worry me about the possible data loss when a large drive decides not to play anymore.

I recently moved all my Poser content over to a 256G SSD. Well all my everyday content, I decided to archive my V3 stuff and other content I had not used for a while. I don't want to delete so it is there to be used but easy access is not so important.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I also found out that part of the slow down is due to the computer.
This on won't support drives over 2tb properly.
I wanted to save and purchase a 4 tb drive but it might not work on this computer, even an external.