• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Storing work in the cloud

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Has anyone ever used one of the Cloud services to store their work?
Does it help in reducing disk space and is it easy to retrieve to work on?
Last question, is it safe?

Thanks for any feedback.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Never on the cloud but I bought a small external drive that's supposed to be good. Supposedly doesn't die after a couple years. We'll see. I have some space on Amazon but I never use it.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have Dropbox. And I went ahead and paid for the level one upgrade, I haven't had any issues with it AND it actually saved me, because I was having problems with my secondary drive, and also with Windows, it would restart randomly. So, I thought I had moved all my photos to the new drive, but, it had done a restart, and so I hadn't. But, I had also backed up to the Dropbox at the same time, and it worked. So, it saved all the photos that I don't have any extra copies of of kids, trips, etc. I was SO happy.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
At the moment I have dropbox and I use Google Drive.
Esspecially the last one is easy because I have a smartphone so I store my photo's on Google photo's. Keeps my phone a bit empty since I go a bit overboard taking pics of our doxie. LOL

Hornet3d

Wise
I have used Amazon Drive in the the past but it had the weird flaw in that if you deleted the copy it would also delete the original, that was some time ago now and may well be fixed but it worried be enough to change.

I now use Acronis True Image which has a number of ways to work and a lot of tools. I use it to keep a full image of my 'C' drive and some folders. You can set up automatic folder backups to your liking so I have a series one for my Poser Runtime, Photobooks, Renders (year by year) and also the Poser content database I maintain. The only problem I have found is that you do need to check on occasions as it is not 100% in informing if a back up has failed. Otherwise it is very flexible so you can configure how often you want the back up and how many versions of the back up will kept. The back up can be encrypted and passwords added for almost all the features.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Most of my personal documents and my entire DAZ/Poser library I keep in my Onedrive folder. That way it is automatically backed up, and if I need to free up space I don't have to keep a local copy. Though I generally keep most of it on my computer so time is not wasted waiting for it to download.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you all.
I'm going to mainly use my 1and 1 account for the personal and my externals for other items.
I do use Onedrive but it has a habit of deleting stuff.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My daughter used it to store all her writing on and when they updated her phone, it deleted all files, even on her laptop.
she could not recover any of it.
I gave her an external for her writing works so she won't lose it again.

Hornet3d

Wise
My daughter used it to store all her writing on and when they updated her phone, it deleted all files, even on her laptop.
she could not recover any of it.
I gave her an external for her writing works so she won't lose it again.

Unfortunately that is not the first time I have heard such a tale. Cloud storage is always a secondary back up for me just there in case my external drive fail. Also I do not use the cloud for any financial based data.