• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

spinning?

rykr

Inspired
i was looking to get into character creation, and i was wondering if there were any tutorials on spinning?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
What exactly do you mean by "spinning", and in what software?

Years ago when I was playing in Rhino 3D, I used "spinning" to create a good man props, like wine goblets, soup bowls, pottery, etc. If by spinning you're referring to the same method, I can't imagine using it to create a "character", so if you could explain a little more the method you're referring to, and in what software you use, someone might know of a tutorial to help you.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, good point Dak. I hadn't thought of that, but you might be right. It just helps if they're more specific as to what they're looking for.

rykr

Inspired
my apologies
that is exactly what i meant,

daz3dand spinning dials to create a character.
I heard there was a way to bake inthe morphs and such, but i am brand new to this, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good tut for this?

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, we have a good number of DS users here on the forum, and I'm sure if any of them know of a good tutorial, or can explain how to do this for you, they will.

Michele

Eager
The best way to start imo is to buy at least the basic morph sets created for your figure of choice, then load up that figure and just start playing with the morph dial options until you get a solid feel for what each of them does with the head and body mesh.

Don't be afraid to use negative values, even if you sometimes have to turn off limits.

I prefer to do the dial spinning on the character with no texture applied, just a flat mono-colored "clay" look. It makes it easier to see the effects.

Find photo references of faces, facial features, and body types you like and practice recreating them as best you can with the morphs dials you have. Real life has a lot of variety and is a good inspiration even for fantasy characters.

I usually start with a facial feature I particularly like and then create a new face from that, rather than trying to completely recreate a face from a reference.

Rotate the character around to see what the face looks like from various angles and adjust as needed. (Sometimes using a dial that changes the shape of the entire face will give me a result I don't want and I have to fix it. For example, I used a small amount of a creature head morph on Dawn, which made her ears longer and pointier. I didn't want that, so I had to adjust the ears to look more human again.)

For your own use, you can mix commercial morphs, commercial characters, and free morphs. If you're going to do any commercial products, though, you'll need to stick with the commercial morphs that allow you to make characters for redistribution.

Save your finished dial-spun character as a character preset.

You can also make a character dial -- which will then let you mix the features with any other dial-spun characters you create -- by following this tutorial:

Create Single Dial Morph Control In Daz Studio 4.9 - Digi-Dotz 3D

Hope that helps! :)

rykr

Inspired
Thanks!
I was going to try to crate products here. But i didnt want a buyer to have to have the the merchant resources already installed in order to use them.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I do not know how to bake in the morphs in DS but in Poser once you have the look you want you can use the option to "Spawn Morph Target" which will create a new dial you can name that will have the effect of any/all or the morph dials you had active plus any magnets. From there you could then reset all of the other dials to 0, or even use Remove poses to eliminate them from the figure so you only have the new dial.

I am not sure how to make this an INJ or REM pose, but I think there have been mentions of how to do that in these forums here somewhere.

If you save the figure with the new dial to the library the dial stays with it.