• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Smart prop or conform?

Smart prop or conform?

• Conform

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eclark1894

Visionary
Hi guys, I need you to weigh in on a small matter if you don't mind. I'm making a prop and I want to know whether it should be smart propped to the figure or conformed. I can make a case either way, so I just want to see which way the wind blows. I don't want to tell you what the prop is yet. You'll see it soon, but it is something that just about any figure can use, male or female. Even Genesis, I suppose. I will say this though, especially because I'm limited in conforming things in Studio, it will also limit the prop to use in Poser.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I vote for smart prop, but there are some things that need to be considered, mainly, bending. If what you are making doesn't have to really bend with the figure (like a helmet) then smart propping will be sufficient. If it does need to bend (like a spinal implant), it should be rigged to the figure.

But you stated you want it for use for all figures, so smart prop.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As Rokket stated, if you want it usable for a number of different figures then smart prop it. If it were a piece of clothing, I'd say go for conformed, though I haven't yet done any rigging successfully, so making it a prop and setting it up in the Cloth Room always works better.

Since you don't mention the Cloth Room, I'm assuming, hopefully correctly, that it's not a piece of clothing, so smart prop sounds like the way to go.

Depending on what it is, such as something to be parented to either hand, like a weapon, then having it available to be smart propped to either hand, OR possibly a 3rd option of not being smart propped, so it can be placed anywhere in a scene.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, well, I am a little disappointed that there's no apparent interest in this subject. Guess I know now I'd be wasting my time. Anyway, just so you know, the prop I was talking about was eyeglasses... this time.

glasses.png

Hmm, I really need to make or buy Dusk some clothes. o_O

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Sunglasses, eye glasses... Smart Prop is most definitely the way to go. Makes it easy. Load, translate and scale, then parent to the head. No rigging to worry about.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, now that I know what it is, I would say definitely go with a smart prop over conformed, because I can imagine all sorts of scenarios where you would want to adjust the translation or rotation for different looks.

I'm a little curious now, because I've never thought about this, but if you make it a smart prop for the head of one figure, will it automatically parent to the head of any figure (as long as the head is called head?) or do you have to save different versions to the library for each figure?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, now that I know what it is, I would say definitely go with a smart prop over conformed, because I can imagine all sorts of scenarios where you would want to adjust the translation or rotation for different looks.

I'm a little curious now, because I've never thought about this, but if you make it a smart prop for the head of one figure, will it automatically parent to the head of any figure (as long as the head is called head?) or do you have to save different versions to the library for each figure?

It will smart prop to anything with a body part called "head," but that doesn't mean it will fit.

eclark1894

Visionary
It will smart prop to anything with a body part called "head," but that doesn't mean it will fit.
I'll MAKE it fit! Literally. I'll have one for Dawn, Dusk, Pauline, Roxie and possibly, Anastasia. Obviously, though, the ones' for Pauline, Roxie and Anastasia would only be in Poser format.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'll MAKE it fit! Literally. I'll have one for Dawn, Dusk, Pauline, Roxie and possibly, Anastasia. Obviously, though, the ones' for Pauline, Roxie and Anastasia would only be in Poser format.

Sorry, Earl, but I just didn't have enough information to add any informed opinions on this. If you had told us a smart prop with multiple morph fits, I think all of us would have likely responded smart prop.

That highly depends on the prop itself. Take belts for example: Most of them are conforming and distort badly when the figure bends, add morphs to it and it may get even worse eg. the belt deforms (heavy is a good morph to check that aka a belt doesn't loose its shape in RL if a person is bigger/thinner). So a smart propped belt may be more handy as long as it has the needed dials to make it fit.

Sunglasses like you are talking about - make them smart propped and give us the needed dials to make it fit other figures. You can easily provide a smart-propped/not smart-propped version for ease of use.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Smart prop for sure with sunglasses with fits for other figures. A second pp2 file parented to the universe works for having the glasses on a table or in a hand or whatever. (I'd voted, but didn't have time to post).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I go with everybody else here: glasses SHOULD be smartProps. I see absolutely no reason why it should be conforming. Parented props have multiple advantages here, like the ability to FREELY pose or scale the glasses on the head - can't do that if it's conformed. On this point it's a no-brainer. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Cool...sorry I missed the poll. I've been flat out writing reports at school.

I'd have chosen smart prop also for eyeglasses.