• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Skin templates/textures maps, eye templates, etc

Lianam

Eager
I have been searching for info on creating skin, eye, body, etc texture maps from scratch so to speak. I know there are merchant resources out there for different 'figures'. I really want to make my own skins, eyes, etc for different characters on different figures like dawn/ dusk, V4/V5, genesis ,etc. I don't want to step on toes or end up with copy right infringements.

Can a person use the original uvmaps and texture templates as a base from each figure for creating various eye colors and skin colors? Or should I be taking the figures in something like blender, poser, etc and painting them there? Looking for advice.

I have a need to make a skin for a Native American and another project my partner is doing for someone who wants a 'figure' created in her image and she has dark skin with unique features. I am helping him with the creation process because he has been away too long from Daz/poser. :)

Thanks for the help and advice!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If you are wanting to sell or do freebies I know you can't use someone elses textures unless they are a Merchant Resourse.
And sometimes they are just for the figure they specify, you really need to read their documentation to see whats allowed. For example, the Dawn SE skin is an MR but it is NOT allowed for freebies.

I'm not sure about UVs sorry.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Dusk base textures are an MR. (I have used them to make my Rodrigo sets, Taka and the upcoming Jungle Kids textures. I am using the Dusk Dark Skin MR by VW to make Dante for Dusk.) I know the original Dawn ones were also MR. I was under the impressions that the Dawn SE ones were NOT MR? Likely @Alisa or @LisaB will know?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Forgot to add- yes one can TOTALLY use the included UV templates to make anything you want for Dawn or Dusk (same is true of ANY UV template- that is why there are supplied:)

Lianam

Eager
Ok, great! It's a start anyways. Good to know that about Dusk and Dawn. :) Selling eventually, possibly. Right now, I am creating and learning for myself. :) My partner is supposedly getting paid to 'create' this look-a-like 3D model of this lady. It seems I am doing most of the work and I want to start off on the right foot not the wrong one.I know it is lots of work to do this stuff, so I want to make my efforts worth while with no nagging fears. Some more reading and digging to do. LOL

I noticed the V4 hi-res textures have copy right on them. I have not noticed that on the other daz basic genesis figures.
My partner only has v4 and genesis with all the morphs. That is what I am trying to help him with. Having a hard time finding the UV templates on Daz stuff. I think I will be digging up some of my video tutorials and going back through them again. I know there is a process if they are not readily available. *sigh*

Thanks!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
its on the product page that the SE is an MR: "This skin texture set is also a Merchant Resource kit that can be used to create new products (not for creating freebies)"
Dawn Special Edition - - A HiveWire 3D Creation by CGCubed, Christopher Creek Art, Lisa's Botanicals, and Virtual World - The Dawn of a New Era

:D

I've never checked about Dusk, that's good to know he's an MR too :)

Yep you are right Rae- it does say Dawn SE maps are MR. Good to know! Not into doing chick characters myself. Poor Dawn doesn't get any love from me but then NONE of the female figures ever have:) I just like the boys I guess:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Daz used to to be great about having links to their UV templates on their individual product pages but I guess they don't do that anymore. Since I haven't bought a figure from Daz since M4 I don't know if they supply UV templates with their figure products anymore.

Lianam

Eager
Just an update. I think we got things sorted.
I checked out some of the figures for texture maps have templates to make your own. It seems I am in pretty good shape to make my own skin textures just need a merchant resource for v4/m4 and genesis. I think my partner has most of his project figured out now. hehe
Yippee! I can start working on my own stuff again.

Thanks for the help :)

Lianam

Eager
Has anyone ever tried Blacksmith 3D for painting/texturing? I have a trial version I have been doodling with and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. :)

Snow Sultan has templates and great seam guides for V4,M4 which could be used on Genesis if desired ,I think they are in Renderosity's free stuff but I'll see if I can find a link. Personally I use GIMP for making textures .....for myself anyway

Lianam

Eager
Thanks that would be great! I use Gimp myself for all my textures. I just find some, especially human skin templates quit difficult to do. Was wondering if it might be easier for me to paint directly on the model in some cases. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Snow Sultan has templates and great seam guides for V4,M4 which could be used on Genesis if desired ,I think they are in Renderosity's free stuff but I'll see if I can find a link. Personally I use GIMP for making textures .....for myself anyway
I used to get them from his website, but I just checked, and the site's down for maintenance.