• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Renderosity help?

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I am posting this out of irritation, but I will attempt to offer some constructive criticism and I am seeking some real suggestions and helpful hints.

With HW products being moved to Renderosity, I have been visiting the site more than I ever have before to get familiar with it. I have already expressed my frustration with the forums in another thread--there is no way I can find to view new posts. The closest I came is to do a forum search with a blank search box and then sort from newest to oldest. And another surprise came about as I haven't found a way to filter out tagged posts.

The store is another story. I don't know how to find anything. On their marketplace home page, there seems to be categories for what's new and trending, and I went to the departments, which seemed very unhelpful (I just looked again and managed to find categories I was looking for under the 3d models section).
The general feeling I get from visiting the store, though, is that I am a 12 year old kid going to the mall to visit the toy store, but I have to pass through the Victoria's Secret just to get in the front door. :oops:

Maybe I just need to get acclimatized to find my way around, but my first impressions are like going into a file room to find something and discovering all the files have just been pulled out of the cabinets and dumped in a pile on the floor to sort through. Maybe it's just me. But I have been having serious doubts about moving my products over. Will anyone even be able to find them? Does Renderosity project an image that I want to be associated with?

How do you all manage it? What's your secret?

Re: the forums. Create a new folder in the browser's Bookmarks. Load the forum sub-forums you want to visit. Drag each of their URLs from the address bar into the new folder. Now you can right-click on the new folder and choose "Open all". The links all open in tabs, and can be quickly flicked through to see if there are new topics in each sub-forum.

As for following a thread you're participating in, the same applies, drop it in the folder. Once the thread has no activity, remove it.

Not ideal, but it works, until they get better forum software. The Python coders complain too, as their code gets mangled when posted. Renderosity needs a software upgrade for the forums. It can't be too difficult to do, and the software must surely have "list new posts since last visit" and "allow coders to post raw code" plugins for it.

As for finding items on the store, that's not ideal either. It's probably best to start by going through the vendor sub-stores and finding the ones you're going to buy from. In practice, I tend to buy from no more than a dozen. I skip the dial-a-doll vendors, those who too-quickly churn out 'large environments' (you'll soon know who I mean), and the 'empire builders' (who make their own independent base character and then want to build a little empire around it, of clothes, morphs, addons).

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I tend to use the search box at the top of the page of the store to look for the general sorts of things I want. Sometimes takes several tries to find a search string that yields useful results, but, hey, like anywhere else for that.
I almost never visit forums, well, anywhere but here. And even here I most certainly haven't visited all of them. I am just not that social. So, I haven't any hints for dealing with the forums.
As for "Victoria's Secret"...apparently there is a huge market for "skank wear" as I like to call it, and it's apparently paying the rent for quite a number of vendors. I've no idea who is buying it as I've never bought such. (Only skimpy outfits I have for my 3D characters were freebies.)
And I have shopped at Renderosity quite a number of times, am a prime member (better deals for shopping)., have been a vendor there since 2012, and find the store much easier to navigate than Daz3D, though harder than Hivewire. And stuff is hidden back in corners. I tend to use my browser's "favorites" to note any vendor I particularily like and I wishlist items I'll want later. Of course, my wishlist is now so long it's like an unabridged dictionary.
Like learning anything else, there is a learning curve. Just explore a bit. You won't learn it in a day.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Thank you, good suggestions. Like I said, it is probably just me, and these are just my opinions. I probably just need time.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I hear you. Ive been a member there snce 2006 and a vendor since 2008 and well.. maybe I've posted 10 or 20 times in the forums there in all those years:) Honestly I just don't have much to do with their forums. Like Rowan said, for searches I just do their marketplace searching and favorite vendors I like and def. wishlist things etc since you then receive an email when that vendor comes out wth a new product, which is a feature I like. Since I so rarely do human 3d scenes, I mainly buy scenery type items, 2d products and some props etc and occasionally some hair products which means a lot less "wading" through products:) I would like to see their email newsletter go back to more what it used to be like as I don't find it particularly helpful these days. Like any online site its really just a matter of getting more used to the way they run things.

Very glad we'll be keeing our HW forums!:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One thing I forgot to add- Rendo does have very good vendor reporting tools. One can track sales of any single product or group of products over any given time frame as well as several other features.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Vendor tools at Renderosity is almost too many options. I always get SO lost. But they work well when you find them and figure out how they work. And they do work better than they did a few years ago.

eclark1894

Visionary
I am posting this out of irritation, but I will attempt to offer some constructive criticism and I am seeking some real suggestions and helpful hints.

With HW products being moved to Renderosity, I have been visiting the site more than I ever have before to get familiar with it. I have already expressed my frustration with the forums in another thread--there is no way I can find to view new posts. The closest I came is to do a forum search with a blank search box and then sort from newest to oldest. And another surprise came about as I haven't found a way to filter out tagged posts.

The store is another story. I don't know how to find anything. On their marketplace home page, there seems to be categories for what's new and trending, and I went to the departments, which seemed very unhelpful (I just looked again and managed to find categories I was looking for under the 3d models section).
The general feeling I get from visiting the store, though, is that I am a 12 year old kid going to the mall to visit the toy store, but I have to pass through the Victoria's Secret just to get in the front door. :oops:

Maybe I just need to get acclimatized to find my way around, but my first impressions are like going into a file room to find something and discovering all the files have just been pulled out of the cabinets and dumped in a pile on the floor to sort through. Maybe it's just me. But I have been having serious doubts about moving my products over. Will anyone even be able to find them? Does Renderosity project an image that I want to be associated with?

How do you all manage it? What's your secret?
I hate to state the obvious, but that is what I created the Poser directory for. Mind you now, it is Poser centric, and I know you use DS, but it's also listed by vendor, so you should be able to find whatever you're looking for as I tried to list the vendor's store, not the product.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Vendor tools at Renderosity is almost too many options. I always get SO lost. But they work well when you find them and figure out how they work. And they do work better than they did a few years ago.

Well I was talking specfically about the sales reporting tools- because yes there are a LOT of various vendor tools:) And they can be confusing at first.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I hardly ever post in their forums, almost never in fact. I'm not much of a forum-person except here for some odd reason.
Anyhew, I have collected some favorite vendors in the time I use Poser. And I have bookmarked their shop in my browser, in a special folder. The ones I particular like, vendors who live a certain Hive *wink*-*wink*, have an exclamationmark (or two) before the stores name so they go to the top of the list.
And with the move I have no doubt more will follow.

Aelin

Eager
When I started in 3D world (the same day than I started on Rendo) I read and asked on French Rendo forum. It wasn't really chatty at that time. And finally I found more explanations in English community.
I looked few weeks ago the French Rendo forum. Was saying outside there was X topics. When I entered, none was visible. I find a little silly to have to ask to see topics from that date to that other date, specially when you want just to look what the topics were. It happened to me on other sites I was looking for something and finally I was interested in another topic also because the title was about a question I could/should think about.

Concerning their market, I took the time by the past to look vendor by vendor what would interest me. Keeping links of some products on a file - or simply the link of the vendor shop if there were too much things :laugh: I know it's outdated since a long time but can be always useful. And yes, I'm aware about the wishlist, but I prefer to sometimes think offline on what is interesting or no more for me.