• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Questions for people who buy poses

What I look for in packs of poses

• Total voters

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I know what my wish list is for pose packs, but I don't know how that matches to others who also buy poses. I'm not talking about which figures or what types of poses, but about generalisations which could apply to any pose selection. I've put my own wants/not wants as poll questions, and the poll will allow you to select multiple answers.

Do your preferences differ depending on whether you use Poser or DS?
Anything that bugs you and you wish people wouldn't do?
Any other comments or qualifications to the poll answers?
Just reply to the post!

Thank you for your thoughts!

I prefer poses listed in the library by pack/collection name, if I have many pose packs by one vendor I sort them by vendor, otherwise I sort them by theme aka pinup, action, comic, fantasy etc.
I want to see the whole pose in the thumbnail; I don't care if dressed or undressed, if textured or untextured though with certain poses it may be helpful to see them dressed.
Mirror poses are nice, but can be easily done by the user themself, at least in Poser - don't know about Studio. So not a reason for me to buy.
Partial poses are certainly a bonus, so that one can mix and match the poses.
No expression morphs in the pose, except it is expressions only. I hate it when a pose comes with expressions and overrides my character.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I primarily use Poser Pro 2014, and am slooowwwly in the process of moving to Poser Pro 11.

Mirrored poses are nice. I have to do a lot of editing when I try to mirror myself in Poser Pro 2014 because Poser doesn't recognize the additional body parts. I know there is a script (mirror my pose) for mirroring, which was posted somewhere here. I finally got it working in Poser Pro 2014. I must have installed it in the wrong version of Poser the first time. So, while users can create mirrored poses in Poser, they need a third party utility to do so with figures that have more body parts than Poser expects.

Partial poses are also nice. However, Semidieu's Shaderworks Library Manager 2 will let you apply partial poses, and it's currently in the closeout sale at RDNA. Cheap. Real Cheap.

I also prefer poses to be listed in the library by pack/collection name. However, I also categorize all products by figure, so I generally just pull out the product folder from the zip and drop it in my Poses folder under the figure (Runtime / Libraries / Pose / 01 Dawn / 05 Poses), so it's not really that big an issue to me. Currently, HiveWire poses are just installed under the appropriate figure (Dawn, Dusk, Luna, etc.), but with V4 and M4 I ended up also categorizing the types of poses (Casual, Couples, Action, Caster, Warrior).

Expressions are cool, but I'd rather they be supplied as a separate expression than part of the pose. I'm perfectly happy if no expressions are not included as part of the pose or as an expression. I find most expressions are overdone. People who SMILE BIG make me wonder what nastiness they are up to ... so I rarely have my characters smiling. Then too, I'm not much of a smiler myself. If I am ... most likely the scorpio is thinking up evil things to do to people who make my life miserable. Though sometimes, I do smile just cuz something nice happened.

I also prefer that the product folder match the store product name. If not, I rename the folder. It REALLY bugs me when the name of the product folder doesn't even come close to matching the product name.

I also like to see the whole pose in the thumbnail. Which is one reason I have my thumbnails display as beeg as Poser will allow me.

Yeah. I like to see multiple angles, but it's not a deal breaker. Promos are hard work!!!

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
What Satira said :) the only thing I'll add is that I like having partial pose options. Yes if you have LM2 from Shaderworks it gives you the option but not all of us have it or want it

Jan

Adventurous
Merchants who make a long name for a pose irk me. In the Poser library, a too long name for a pz2 file and thumb means if you use a laptop, you have to expand the library out to read the file name when it is too long. Maybe some information on the .png thumb would serve to shorten the name in some instances.

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
As I also sell and use poses, I want to quickly access to the poses, so I almost never include my vendor name. I put my poses just right into the figures folder (edit - I mean in the Pose folder :D) with the collection's name. This saves me clicking a lot. (I have tendinitis) :)
I do mirror poses because in Poser you need an extra script. In DS is easier to mirror poses than in Poser.
I don't have a big monitor that allows to see my library big, so I give short names to the poses.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
As a DS user I prefer the pose file path to be People/Character's name/Poses/Pack name
I do categorise stuff myself and I will often do duplicate categories so I may have it listed there under categories but also under a general Pose/Character/Pack name as I use poses with more than the character they are intended for. I will generally look for a pose that is close to what I want and then adjust to suit my render. I use Genesis 2 poses on Dawn and also vice versa. I've also converted poses using a script for Genesis 3.

Mirror poses are always nice but not essential as LeoLee mentioned it's not difficult to mirror poses in DS.

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
Purely a Poser User..{P0ser Pro 2014 and Poser 11) here . I mainly prefer mirrored poses for more variety. One question not posted ,but I think should have been - I prefer each item ( not just poses) in my runtimes to have a unique name. My pet hate is trying to remember if Item A is hidden amongst half a dozen similar items by Vendor B :) I spent 20 minutes last night tryinng to find a particular Hair style that I KNEW the name of. I had to troll through every item in my Hair runtime before I could find it nested with 5 other styles under a vendor's name. :(