• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Question about the Creature Head Morph sets

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hi,
Not an issue, just a discovery and wondering about it.
After creating a set for Dawn and Dusk with these morphs I found that they eyes would not close right.
In trying to figure it out I discovered that there are morphs to fix that but the dials are hidden.
I used the utility from Dimension3d to unhide them.
But that brings me to wondering why are they hidden?

If I put this product on the market I would have no idea how to explain to users what they should do to open these morphs (or controls).
Nor how to adjust them for the one I created with rather large eyes.
For her I have to use these "CreatureHd eye close" controls, the "wince" and the regular eye close control to get them closed right.
I saved a pz3 with all the controls combined but have no idea how to make it into one control for one dial.
But all that aside...I just wondered why the controls are hidden in Poser and DS.

BTW:I was not sure where to put this thread so I thought this one seemed more likely.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I can't tell you why they're hidden, except maybe because the person who made them didn't expect you to be using them directly. I was actually going to try and describe the process to you (at least in Poser) of how to make a control dial to fix this, but I found I was confusing myself, so I figure I'd try to give you some references instead.

First off, you are trying to make a MCM master control morph. You will need Poser Pro to do this. I have Poser Pro 11, and there's actually a pretty good description of the process in the manual. It's in Part 7: Content Creation Tools, Chapter 32: Modifying Figures and Props, and the a subsection called Using Dependent Parameters starts the stuff you need. It's not that it's really all the difficult, I'm just having a hard time visualizing exactly what morphs should control what (for instance should your eyes close be a slave to the main Eye's open close, but if it is, you only want it to apply when your main morph is being used).

As for DS, I recently sort of learned how to do this sort of thing in DS. I can tell you it uses the Property Hierarchy, and the work you do from Poser will not transfer over. However, I never really found any good tutorials on this and was mostly just experimenting to figure out how to do it.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I hope I follow you here. You created a pose morph or preset using existing morphs...and are wondering why some of the morphs are hidden? Or did you create a custom morph that also uses existing morphs?

In either case, the hidden morphs are MCMs that are conditional. They are hidden because they should work automatically when the conditions are met and, as Gadget Girl points out, are not meant to be manually adjusted.

So say you have an alien head morph on Dusk, that changes the eye shape. You use Dusk's eye close morph and it doesn't fully close the alien eyes. You can export this as an obj, just make sure your mesh resolution is set to base if you are using DS and sub-d is off in Poser. You make your correction in a modeler and then bring the morph back into DS or Poser, making sure the alien and dusk eye close morphs are removed from your alien eye close shape. Then you would create a conditional morph that would be added to the Dusk eye close and multiplied to the alien head morph. You would hide this alien eye close morph because it would be controlled when the Alien head is on and the dusk eye close morph was dialed.

If you are using an existing creature head as a dial setting, then it will automatically dial the MCM if you use the eye close dial. SO basically for existing dials that are not a merchant resource, you do not need the morphs, you just need the pose setting for that morph. It would then require the existing morph set and the hidden morphs will auto magically work.

Hope that is not too confusing. I know we have some videos in the CA resource thread on JCMs and MCMs that take you step by step.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
All morphs are from the Creature Head sets but on the one set I used a pretty extreme setting.
Might need to rethink it...lol.
My female has very large eyes.
I will work it out when able to be back at my projects.
Thanks for explaining. :)

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, a pose will work. The issue is if you have limits off for the morphs. The MCMs need to have limits on or they will be on in the negative and will break if you use eye close in the negative. You do not need to include the eye close or the mcm for the creature head, just the creature head morph itself.