• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Prophecy on the Silver Screen

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
It has long been a point of discussion held in close ties with science fiction predicting future science, technology, or sociological development. At any good science fiction conference you can find certain names bandied about predicting this, or that. This also has, to greater or lesser extent, carried over into television and movies, be they based on established books, or created for the screen. So what I am going to discuss is nothing really new, but I think the example I am about to discuss is so eerily close to current events as to be unreal.
The current events I am speaking of is the WGAW/WGAE and SAG strikes - or more imporantly certain issues at the heart of that strike involving A.I. Among the issues involved is the way studios are offering A.I. pay reimbursement to background actors and extras to allow their likenesses to be scanned for use in perpetuity. On a broader scale is the idea that studios and streaming services could use advanced A.I. to develop much more true, interactive, On-Demand services where you as a consumer might be able to describe what type of movie you would like to see including some of the actors and actresses in it, and the A.I. could generate a custom experience movie for you. Some say this is ludicrous and far fetched, and the technology isn't there yet...but isn't it? Looking at what I have seen from A.I. recently, the biggest limit I see right now is render power to make such a custom film. In fact A.I. is already being used to make interactive presidential candidates, deep fake videos of Tom Cruise, Fake video Dating Profiles, and so many other things. A year ago I would have agreed, the technology wasn't there, but with just what I have seen within these last six months, I am not so sure it hasn't already passed this point. As a consumer, it sounds great that I could have some form of streaming device that would give me content I would be more likely the enjoy by describing it to the device, and having the device also be able to learn from my choices and criticisms. As a creator and artists, this would sort of defeat my need and desire to make things myself though.
All of this is just some context for what I really want to bring up, though.
Many years ago, a friend of mine urged me to watch a particular movie as he thought the style and themes would be right up my alley. That Movie was called The Congress (I swear it had a much longer title, but can find no proof of that now...I've been Mandela'd again). One of the core elements of this film involves an Actress selling her Identity to a studio for creating a digital presence that the studio can use - and how this ends up playing out. I really can not say more than that without many spoilers and I do not want to ruin it for any of those who may not have seen it but might wish to. Many aspects of the movie are very surreal, it mixes live action and animation, and takes a lot of twists and turns. The movie is based on a 1971 Polish Science Fiction novel called The Futurological Congress. I have never read the novel, so I am unsure of how accurate the novel to film adaptation is, but if it is accurate, then this novel may have very well predicted how digital and A.I. might impact and even come to replace Actors, Authors, and even directors and producers. I feel there are concepts within the movie that closely parallel some of the concerns and actual uses being discussed for A.I. by actors and writers - and I find it eerily prophetic.

If you have seen this film or read this book, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. If you haven't seen this movie but are a science fiction fan, or following the A.I. development and issues (or just looking for a good movie to inspire some thought and reflection) I would recommend giving this movie a look. It is available free with ads on several streaming services.

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Looker, with Susan Dey, Albert Finney and James Coburn had a similar theme. Computer generated models. Scanned from real girls, but "perfect in every way". It was a murder mystery with computer sub-plot.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I find that good science fiction is more than just entertainment. Many, if not most, inventions are the results of real scientists seeing something in sci-fi and thinking...Why not make this? We can do it! Scientist are generally not very inventive, but can take an idea and run with it.

Dana

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, Looker, it has been a long time since I have seen that. I had almost forgotten about it though.
I think some of the ideas in good science fiction can also be inspired by developments in emerging sciences that are taken to a new use or level. In the actual Foundation series of novels (not the TV series which so far is nothing to do with the novels other than similar names) at the heart of them was a new form of science used to predict the future by predict the actions of mass groups. This was basicly an extrapolation of statistical analytics as we know it now and now data gathering is used in a similar fashion. The novels repeatedly made it a point that it broke down with smaller groups and could not predict an individual - but in todays world, with the massive amounts of data gathered and the processing power companies through at those algorythym they do try to predict the individual. It is visible in your streaming suggestions, shopping suggestions, served advertisements (I turn off as much of that as I can myself). I think fiction (not just science fiction) can be a powerful too for good itself - it can not only entertain, but inspire, engage us in retrospection or debate, and lift us up.