• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need P11 Beta Testers for Poser Dawn Character

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Hi all,

I need some P11 users to test a character for Dawn that will include:
  • Head and body character morphs
  • 5 make-up options
  • 5 eye options
  • An elf ear morph
  • About 10 minor eye morphs
  • Very simple nipple and genital crease morphs, and smooth (like Barbie) and regular texture options
This might more accurately be termed alpha testing, because I haven't yet made materials for P10-. But I'd like to lock everything down before duplicating.

Her name is Rose, and she'll eventually have (dynamic) clothes, props, and a (younger, more boyish) sister, Thorn.
roseStudioPoser.jpg

If you're an interested Poser 10 or lower user, I'll definitely be asking your help in the future.

If you're an interested DS user, I'm terribly uncertain about how to make a character for DS. I don't know how to bring morphs into DS, and I'm not sure how about figure materials. I've figured the latter out for my own renders before, so I _think_ I could do it for this. My biggest concern is my SSS maps. Well, and the fact that I'm slow (mostly because I make myself nuts about quality) and have all that stuff to do and a major Poser Python script to finish up. Basically, I don't have any concrete plans for a DS version, but I'm open to persuasion. Mainly by being told that I won't be stoned for not being as good with DS as I am with Poser, and taking a risk on making something more complex than metal and glass for DS will be worth trying even if my DS work is even less perfect than my Poser work is. And that someone will be willing to answer questions.

If there's a third format I should make her in (I'm thinking of recent announcements), then I'll need some directions.

xmasrose

Eager
She really looks great! Even if I own Poser 11 I am not good enough to help you with Rose.

BUT I'd love to test her in DS, to me DS is easier than Poser ;)! So you could give DS a try once you're finished with Poser.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
She really looks great! Even if I own Poser 11 I am not good enough to help you with Rose.

BUT I'd love to test her in DS, to me DS is easier than Poser ;)! So you could give DS a try once you're finished with Poser.
Thank you! Unfortunately for me, I find DS _much_ harder than Poser. Especially for making content, since there's no equivalent to Poser File Editor for DS (unless I've missed it- please tell me I have). I can't make any promises beyond being willing to try.

xmasrose

Eager
What is the Poser File Editor? You can see how ignorant I am with Poser.
(I quit using it after version 7 for Carrara and won Poser 11 a few months ago in a challenge...)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hi all,

• 5 make-up options
  • 5 eye options
  • An elf ear morph
  • Very simple nipple and genital crease morphs, and smooth (like Barbie) and regular texture options
This might more accurately be termed alpha testing, because I haven't yet made materials for P10-. But I'd like to lock everything down before duplicating.

Her name is Rose, and she'll eventually have (dynamic) clothes, props, and a (younger, more boyish) sister, Thorn.
View attachment 40621

If you're an interested Poser 10 or lower user, I'll definitely be asking your help in the future.

If you're an interested DS user, I'm terribly uncertain about how to make a character for DS. I don't know how to bring morphs into DS, and I'm not sure how about figure materials. I've figured the latter out for my own renders before, so I _think_ I could do it for this. My biggest concern is my SSS maps. Well, and the fact that I'm slow (mostly because I make myself nuts about quality) and have all that stuff to do and a major Poser Python script to finish up. Basically, I don't have any concrete plans for a DS version, but I'm open to persuasion. Mainly by being told that I won't be stoned for not being as good with DS as I am with Poser, and taking a risk on making something more complex than metal and glass for DS will be worth trying even if my DS work is even less perfect than my Poser work is. And that someone will be willing to answer questions.

If there's a third format I should make her in (I'm thinking of recent announcements), then I'll need some directions.

She's lovely, kk. I'd be happy to test for you in Poser.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
What is the Poser File Editor? You can see how ignorant I am with Poser.
(I quit using it after version 7 for Carrara and won Poser 11 a few months ago in a challenge...)
Oh, it's content creator tool, not something you'd come across in a first encounter, so to speak. It's just what it says on the tin. It's a way to edit presets that isn't just mucking in a text editor. So you can easily and simply correct your file references to be relative, for instance, without worrying about forgetting a slash or slightly misspelling something.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
@kobaltkween Take a look at this and see if it'd suit. DSON Editor | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D
Since his passing though, I'm not sure if there's anything DS has changed that could break full compatibility of that app.
Oooooo! That does look perfect! You know, I've asked before, and I've just been told to use a text editor. I wish I'd known about this before. As long as it doesn't introduce any errors and it lets you edit file references, I'll be pleased. Damn, I _really_ wish I'd known about this when I had a $20 credit burning a hole in my pocket.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
She's lovely, kk. I'd be happy to test for you in Poser.
Oh, thank you so much! Just to let you know, my days are inverted, so this is essentially the end of my day. I'll pack up the files tonight, and should hopefully be able to get them to you tomorrow about this time. Either way, I'll contact you then.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh, thank you so much! Just to let you know, my days are inverted, so this is essentially the end of my day. I'll pack up the files tonight, and should hopefully be able to get them to you tomorrow about this time. Either way, I'll contact you then.

No rush. Whenever you are ready

xmasrose

Eager
Oh, it's content creator tool, not something you'd come across in a first encounter, so to speak. It's just what it says on the tin. It's a way to edit presets that isn't just mucking in a text editor. So you can easily and simply correct your file references to be relative, for instance, without worrying about forgetting a slash or slightly misspelling something.

OK I understand now.
What I do (I did only a couple of freebies!) is create my own Library and folders for the product (freebie for me) and that way the file references are good. I purchased tutorials by professional artists and that's what they recommend to do.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Oooooo! That does look perfect! You know, I've asked before, and I've just been told to use a text editor. I wish I'd known about this before. As long as it doesn't introduce any errors and it lets you edit file references, I'll be pleased. Damn, I _really_ wish I'd known about this when I had a $20 credit burning a hole in my pocket.

You definitely wouldn't want to use a basic text editor, that's for sure. I opened Genesis 8 Female's DSF, folded all the code- there's over 128,000 lines in that one file. Not something you'd want to tackle with simple notepad. DS is pretty feature rich in terms of content creation. You could probably do anything you needed to do with internal tools without having to really go into the files.

upload_2018-8-30_17-11-49.png

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi all,

• 5 make-up options
  • 5 eye options
  • An elf ear morph

View attachment 40621

Good for you. Great project, and looks solid. Rose and Thorn. Nice. Kinda like Dawn and Dusk. Would a potential male counter part be Stem?

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
OK I understand now.
What I do (I did only a couple of freebies!) is create my own Library and folders for the product (freebie for me) and that way the file references are good. I purchased tutorials by professional artists and that's what they recommend to do.
Yes, I do that, too. But I find that when I look at the files, both DS and Poser make absolute paths when I create preferences. So I need to go in and make them relative by hand. Which is easy with a preset file editor.

Also, I just find it good to be able to check on specifics and edit. For instance, I found it easier to both generate REM files with PFE and to edit those files with PFE as I altered them rather than generating all new ones.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
You definitely wouldn't want to use a basic text editor, that's for sure. I opened Genesis 8 Female's DSF, folded all the code- there's over 128,000 lines in that one file. Not something you'd want to tackle with simple notepad. DS is pretty feature rich in terms of content creation. You could probably do anything you needed to do with internal tools without having to really go into the files.

View attachment 40632
Not exactly. So, yes I _create_ my presets with the software (Poser or DS). Both are very powerful tools that allow you to create presets for supporting content in ways that are unique to the content community. I really appreciate this fact because I'd like to give away Blender shaders for this texture set, and to do so I'd have to write a way to both save and apply collections of node trees to material zones. Both Poser and DS have been designed to save, share, and apply add-ons for content in ways other programs just don't even consider. Our 3D content ecosystem is unique.

But I need to actually get into the files to make sure everything is correct. That file references are relative, not absolute, that version numbers are set as far back as they should be, etc. For what little DS content I've made, I had to go in and edit the files with Geany (my text editor of choice) and do search and replace to fix references every time I saved a preset that needed them. And I had to read through to find them in the first place, so I got some idea of what the preset was storing and what needed changing.

Even if I didn't need to change anything at all, I'd want to be able to glance at a preset with file references to make sure everything was ready for publishimg. This figure involves scaling, so I needed PFE to make sure that the right parts included scaling information but not translation or rotation. It's just a sort of standard finishing phase I'd do for any software that has presets.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Good for you. Great project, and looks solid. Rose and Thorn. Nice. Kinda like Dawn and Dusk. Would a potential male counter part be Stem?
Hehehehehe! Thanks! You know, I haven't really thought about a male counterpart. These are characters I've had in my head for _ages_, I'm just now creating 3D versions of them. So my male characters aren't counterparts, exactly. They're a pretty diverse group, and even the random people I've thought of recently to flesh things out haven't been like them. But since they now kind of have their own region and small group of peoples that go with them in my head, I've been vaguely thinking they might get a guy of their own tribe, so to speak. He'd definitely need a nature based name, too, since they're kind of/sort of elves.

Here's a look at Rose's elf ear option and violet eyes. I tried to keep the violet subtle, as if it were an actual possible color.
roseStudioPoserFace.jpg

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
If you are still in need of a tester, I can help out using Poser Pro 11 on a Mac.

Red Eagle
AKA Stephen
Oh, that's very helpful. Just to let you know, I'm adding you to my beta testing conversation here, so you should get a message in your Inbox.

Nod

Adventurous
I use Poser 9 & 11. I've tested stuff for folk and helpfully told them stuff also worked in Poser 9.