• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need input on a new top

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So, I really am getting annoyed with the stretching that occurs on the breasts of the tops I make, so I put in some darts. Would like to know what you all think of them.

todartornot.jpg

Please be honest about it. Thanks.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I happen to like darts on a top if you're going for a more fitted look. I'm assuming this is going to be conforming, and not dynamic???

It's hard to see with a busy pattern like the one in your render, but that could hide the darts if you don't want them to be obvious. Then again, that particular pattern makes it very obvious. Maybe a smaller pattern would be better. The only thing is, I'm seeing some poke through just to the right of the star above the dart.

Hope that helps.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well I generally have issues with making conforming, but I suppose I could give it a go...

Could you point out the poke thru you're seeing?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
So, I really am getting annoyed with the stretching that occurs on the breasts of the tops I make, so I put in some darts. Would like to know what you all think of them.

Please be honest about it. Thanks.

I really don't think a dart is going to help with the stretching. It's just a matter of 3D models, in general. You can do some work to minimize the worst stretching with the morph brush, but that's really a lot of work.

As for your dart, as a seamstress in real life, I would recommend you position it like a real dart, more at an angle like this:

Dart.jpg

Also, I would suggest you not use a knit fabric as knits would not be darted in real life.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah it was a test texture to see how it looks. I'll see what I can do for getting the dart angled, will have to adjust the geometry a hair.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
For a knit, no dart. I agree. However, I've seen fabrics that looked like that and I really like the texture. Maybe both "knit" (no dart) and "woven" (dart) textures for the final?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good point Tracy, now that I think about. All the clothes my mother made for me and clients, all had the angled darts. It's just been too long since I last wore any of them, so I forgot.

OK, now that I got a screenshot, and was able to zoom in, I just realized what looked like poke through when I first looked at it earlier, is just a heart shape, but the color, with light shining on that area, looked like flesh, so you can ignore that comment.

Sunfire-PokeThrough.jpg

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can do a dynamic no dart, and see about getting my dart more angled.

English Bob

Adventurous
For a dynamic top with no darts, you could try modelling the top to fit a figure with the flattest chest you can dial in. UV map that, then set up a simulation where the breasts grow to the default setting which will stretch the fabric. Hopefully this will give you more realistic results.

What are you using to do the UV mapping, out of interest?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I use silo to get the base, then I go in and use UVLayout to refine the UV map.