• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

need help on close-up camera and scene settings.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I struggle to get close-up shots without part disappearing into the back of beyond somewhere.
It would be great if I could get cameras and scenes correct for close-up on thumbnails, eyes, lashes and nails.
Anyone there who can give some advice, please?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
its most likely the focal length, I think Posers main camera default is 50? and DS is 65, if you change that to 100 (or more depending on the situation) you should be able to get close up without stuff disappearing into the camera.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I've never changed the focal length or anything like that. I just create a new camera and move it to the desired position. Then zoom as close as possible. You do need to be careful when getting really close. It doesn't take much to go too close and actually inside the mesh. It looks weird, too. I even use a camera to check if something is actually right on the floor/road/ground rather than poking through it. I just use the Y translate until the floor becomes a line. I haven't used DS in a while for much. I don't know if they new version has any new type of camera.

If you look at the detail on Just Ducky, I have a close-up of the diaper pin showing the design I put on it. That's pretty close, so it can be done without a special camera.

Dana

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thanks, I will work on it
I used the close up camera from Scene Starter in D's but had to search the dial settings to see why it kept rendering the same size after I changed stetting...lol.
But at least I was able to get the had and shoulder shots right. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know for me a pic is worth 1000 words so here is a test.
This is Poser default everything (lights etc and the default focal length is 50) and default Dawn SE (with just easy skin applied so she rendered correctly in Superfly). I've just zoomed in as close as I could get (I purposely zoomed so that the tip of her nose was in the camera so you could see how close I was).
Psr Default Cam.png

Now this is the same as above with just the focal length changed to 100. See how much closer you can get with just the change in focal length?
Of course if you wanted even closer you adjust the focal length longer again. Also the benefit of a longer focal length in close ups is you get less distortion as well.
Psr Cam Focal 100.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I've always had my focal length set to 100. A friend told me that years ago, and that's how I have my Startup Scene saved.

For head shots, I always use the Face Camera, and move it around to get what I want in the render. The default settings I find give me a nice semi-closeup. IOW, from say the hips up, then I just adjust depending on the hair I have on the character, because some styles need more space over the top of the character's head.

I'm not sure if I changed the focal length for the 2 hand cameras. I'll have to check that, as I only use that to "see" the hands/nails while posing. I rarely, if ever, actually render from that camera.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Thanks, I will work on it
I used the close up camera from Scene Starter in D's but had to search the dial settings to see why it kept rendering the same size after I changed stetting...lol.
But at least I was able to get the had and shoulder shots right. :)

D's? What's that?

As I said, I never use any special camera. I wasn't aware of this Scene Starter. As I also said, I haven't used it much lately. If you are using something that's new in DS 4.11, I haven't upgraded to that yet, I'm still on DS 4.10. I think. Yeah, just checked, DS 4.10 64 bit.

These Face Cameras and Hand Cameras...I think those are Poser, not DS. Am I wrong?

Dana

edit: Look at the second promo for Just Ducky here. You'll see how close I got with a normal camera. This is the Mil Baby 3 diaper with safety pin, design is on the safety pin.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Scene Builder/Starter Essentials in DAZ Studio (lost part of my sentence there...lol.).

DanaTA

Distinguished
Scene Builder/Starter Essentials in DAZ Studio (lost part of my sentence there...lol.).

Oh. Yeah, I've never used those.

There are things in the DIM that I don't even know what they are. For instance, GeoGraft 3D print for xxx. What the hell is that? And do I want to know? :laugh:

Dana