• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Looking for free compiler and software coding suite

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I got an idea for a software to help me (and possibly others) create stuff for 3D. I need a free as in free pizza and Coke and also free as in free speech. Not sure about free as in a free pair of kittens.
Back to the point, I want free compiler and also tutorials to help me remember programming after a decade break.
I want to be able to create a GUI eventually too in case it is good enough to sell or something.
I wish I could start now but it is time for me to sleep.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
That's a slightly tricky question to answer. In a nutshell, and assuming you don't want to start learning programming from scratch, what was the language you were coding in a decade ago? Start with that, and see if you can use that. May save you some time getting back into it.

If you're specifically looking for a compiled language to pick up, your obvious choices are possibly a C dialect of sorts (C, C++, C# etc) for which you get the excellent and free Visual Studio Community Edition on Windows. It also allows you to use Visual Basic I believe. On macOS, Xcode is your obvious choice. It too supports those C dialects, in addition to Objective-C and Swift. Both IDEs enable you to code, compile and run with a single button, both for writing command line style apps and GUI based apps (the latter are obviously a bit tougher because you need to learn the relevant libraries also). The code you write is portable and - in case of a command line app - relatively easily transferrable to another platform, including Linux.

At the same time, if those are not the languages you're into, perhaps an interpreted language may just do a good enough job for your needs. In which case, you don't need a compiler. Python, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby or even a BASH Script are good examples for interpreted languages. JavaScript in particular could be used to write your code so it can be run in people's web browsers, so they don't even have to install a special interpreter.

Worth noting is that any IDE based on Eclipse is not worth your efforts. There are many derivatives, all of which suck big time (NetBeans for example). Just thought I'd mention it. I personally use Xcode for all my C and Objective coding needs, or a text editor (like Dreamweaver) for PHP and JavaScript.

Riccardo

Adventurous
To what Jay (hey, thank you for tour Carrara Flag tutorial) said, I would add that you may consider Java.
JDK (Java Development Kit) is free to download; you can program for command line or GUI; you write once and it runs on all the platforms/OSes that can use a JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
I thought Netbeans was good, but I have not direct experience, so Jay could be right about it. Anyway, there are other IDEs (Eclipse included) to use with it.