• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Locking borders

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hi,

My brain is just not remembering. If I create a border for my Supersuit and don't want it stretching or very little stretching how does one go about locking things down in the modeling program? I tried the crease function in ZBrush but that didn't do the trick at all so wondering what modelers do to keep poly's mostly locked to minimize stretching. Some of my borders are along the joints which probably isn't a good idea but it's where one of the main stretchy areas are. If there is no way around this I'll just think of something else to do in this area.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Richard :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Most trims if you look at them are fairly dense in terms of polys. I know with edges to keep them sharp you do additional edges close to the actual edge to keep them sharp.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm referring more to a polygroup, say an upper sleeve surface group with a band of poly's that would be deemed a "cuff" and I don' want the cuff to loose it's shape too much.

ScreenHunter_214 Jun. 20 09.02.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wouldn't having additional edges around the edge of the poly group help with distortions? And then have it filled with red on the weightmap maybe...isn't that what Paul did with the halter for the horse to stop it distorting? I'm not an expert on this though...it's just my thoughts for what it's worth.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Creasing should have fixed it but it didn't. So I just reduced the amount of poly's in the shoulder seams to one loop rather than two loops of them and it's ALLOT better. So that's where I'm at with this! LOL

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
First time I've heard that reducing polys has fixed something like that...learn something new every day. I assume you're talking about the crease function in Zbrush?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Correct. I'm not actually reducing polys, I'm just removing a loop's worth from the Surface and reassigning it to the main "Tank Top" surface.