• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Layered image preset in Poser 9?

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I've been experimenting with the Layered Image Editor (LIE) in DS 4.8. It's very useful for adding a dirt/grunge layer on top of existing textures. Now that it comes to converting to poser, however, I don't know if the same thing exists. On googling, it looks like it is available in Poser 11, but I only have P9. Is anything like that available? I'm already fearing the answer is no, so is there a workaround? Or do I just have to make a unique texture and MAT file for every texture with the dirt layer included?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh an old thread with information that's still good today. Thanks for the link Satira. ;)

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Ok, I managed to overlay the grunge/dirt layer using the blender node. And I saved that as a material preset. But now I'm at a loss as to how to make the base texture a variable.

In DS, using a layer preset, the base texture is unspecified and the overlay just goes on over whatever texture is applied. I see several variable nodes in Poser, but I can't figure out if one of them will work to be able to get the currently applied texture as a variable to use as texture #1 in the blender node. Is this even possible?

bagginsbill

Inspired
Currently applied texture as a variable is something we've been asking for since forever.

SM doesn't quite understand shaders and how we use them.

The new layering system isn't quite going to cut it either.

The only way to apply new shaders but incorporate existing image maps is via Python scripting. For this reason I invented VSS and for this reason SnarlyGribbly invented EZSkin.