• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How to Change Styles (themes)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
You can choose/change the style (look) of the forum in several ways

1-Click on your name in the top right corner of the forum pages and choose PREFERENCES
At the top, pick the style you want

2-At the bottom left of all forum pages, it will indicate the name of the style you currently are using (ie !HiveWire 3D, Blackened-Green). If you hover over it, you will see "Style Chooser" show up.

Click on the current style, and a box will come up allowing you to change it

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
You're welcome, Flint - yes, I definitely like the Blackened Green. Easier on the eyes and sizing is much better to me.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OH yuk.. for ME when I change to the dark one, the entire forum SHRINKS ... horizontally it is narrow in the middle of the screen... whereas the default stays stretched over the whole screen ... kind of like 'wide screen mode'.... but the "Blackened Green" is in the old 4:3 ratio (thinking like TV shows).... is it thaw way for you all that are using it?

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Not sure why it's not changing for you, Flint. It definitely does. But that's what I meant about the sizing being better. In the white theme, things are spread WAY out. With the black one, the buttons are easy to find and everything seems sized correctly. While I usually like things full screen, in this case, I find the Blackened-Green much nicer.

The buttons are clear and right at the bottom of the posting window instead of way off to the side

Additionally, there is information below the avatars that for some reason don't show up in the HW Style.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, Alisa is correct about the resizing, and it's been a well documented fact in most of the web design communities I hang out in that the narrower the viewing (mostly text related) area is, the easier it is on the eyes, as they don't have to swing back and forth so much to read a full line of text.

I don't mind having the full layout take up the full width of the screen, as long as there are more than one (preferably 3) sections, and the main text area (usually in the middle) doesn't take up more than half the screen width. I'm on a laptop, but I can imagine just how wide that HW theme looks on a large separate monitor folks use with desktop computers. After a while it hurts the eyes, literally.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
OH yuk.. for ME when I change to the dark one, the entire forum SHRINKS ... horizontally it is narrow in the middle of the screen... whereas the default stays stretched over the whole screen ... kind of like 'wide screen mode'.... but the "Blackened Green" is in the old 4:3 ratio (thinking like TV shows).... is it thaw way for you all that are using it?

@Lyne Yes, that is the way Blackend-Green looks. It's set up similarly to a "mobile" website interface, or the kind of interface that a website displays on devices such as cell phone browsers, or tablets, iPads, etc. When we first got the color scheme, it took me a little bit to get used to the narrower layout, but at this point I've gotten quite comfy in it, and I don't have to wear sunglasses to view it! :D

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Here are images of this:

Right now there are 2 Styles. They look different in your browser and show different things.

HiveWire is wider while Blackened-Green is narrower.

Here's what they look like (Obviously the top one is Blackened-Green and the lower is HiveWire):
Styles.jpg

And here is how you change from one to the other:
Styles-Change.jpg

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Welcome - I actually realized there was a thread already, but no pictures, so I merged them :)_\