• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do I make a smog layer in the sky with volume?

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I've successfully used 3dcheapskate's height-dependent fog shader to make a ground-hugging fog in Superfly (I just switched depth cue to volume), but now I want to do the reverse and have a fog layer that's almost clear at ground level and thickens as it goes up. It doesn't translate directly just by inverting things, which I'm guessing is because trying to layer something onto infinite sky is much different than layering it onto a ground plane? So I've put in an atmosphere box, but still not having much luck. I just don't know the math that's involved in that sort of blending. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Afrodite-Ohki's AO Level Up Superfly lights include a very effective atmosphere for this type of image. I used it here.

Attachments

• BrunoLondonAtmo.jpg
    BrunoLondonAtmo.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like you want a sort of cyberpunk/noir city, relatively clear at ground level but quickly getting foggier in the towers further up. I did make the 3dcheapskate node layout and tinker, but the best I could do was raise the fog slightly so that the sidewalk became a little more visible.

Then my thoughts were:

Make a 180-degree rotation on all the models? Render and flip it back in Photoshop?

Load the Poser scene to Vue, and there use one of Vue's highly controllable atmospheres?

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I did something like this on a magma pit that sank below ground level, but can't even load that up to show the node setup. May not even have those scenes anymore (HD corruption, not sure how bad it is currently). There might be a way to invert it using blend nodes and the subtract node... unfortunately I can't even experiment right now as I have no working graphics machine.
Try some simple color experiments on a primitive to get the right combo of nodes, then you will know how to set it up on the atmosphere shader.