• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Houses to complement Hanging Gardens of Nimrud

Archon3D

Inspired

As I’m trying to make renders with Hanging Gardens of Nimrud, (and eagerly waiting for the updated version of it) I’ve thought about the possibility of expanding it with just a few more buildings. Hanging Gardens is so large that all kinds of renders can be done at different locations on it. Even though it’s a temple complex, it has many of the parts I need to make a city. It has walls, gates, a temple, beautiful wall art, flags, market stalls, arches, and towers. I’ve even figured out how to use three temple enclosures to create the illusion of a street/alley. But I’d like to create renders that contain houses I could use to create the impression of an entire Mesopotamian village or city. I’ve tried to use the Hanging Gardens’ walls and tower parts to create something that looks like a house, but I’m not having much luck with them. So what I would like to suggest is a set of Mesopotamian-like houses.

I would prefer if these houses were more like apartments than a house for one family. Having a few apartments and creating instances of them would help me create the illusion of a highly populated village or city. A product at Daz3D that has almost perfect examples of what I’m requesting are the adobe buildings of Allen9’s Desert Scene Construction Kit. Even though I don’t own this product, each of the buildings in this product is designed to be a part of a desert city. And they, as the product description says, are so generic they can be used in renders of Morocco, Judea, Persia, Mexico, Arrakis (from Frank Herbert’s Dune series), and, of course, Mesopotamia. Other examples of desert buildings/apartments that are similar to what I’m suggesting are Ian M. Palmer’s Return to Driza-Apartments and Catal Huyuk and Meshbox’s House of Courtesans and Egyptian Architect. Since Ken Gilliland has said he would update the Hanging Gardens of Nimrud for Iray and SuperFly, these buildings could come with Iray materials. All of these older products I could use came out before Daz included the Iray render engine in Daz Studio, and I prefer to use Iray more than any other render engine.

So what I’m suggesting is just two or more different Mesopotamian-like houses/apartments, perhaps similar to the desert buildings of the Desert Scene Construction Kit. This product, along with Hanging Gardens, would give me almost the full range of sets I would need for the renders I’d like to create. I know I may be the only one that will ever request this type of product, and I know HiveWire artists are busy with other products that are in greater demand. So if someone decides to create what I’m suggesting, I don’t expect to get it any time soon. But since the Hanging Gardens of Nimrud is one of the few Mesopotamian-like structures I’ve ever been able to find on any 3D content provider’s website, I thought adding a few more buildings to it might be an interesting idea to consider.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Thank you for the heads-up regarding Ian M. Palmer's stuff. Some of it, like the Apartments set you mention are in clearance. Including an instant city that looks like it would be very useful for arial shots or backgrounds.

Specifically mesopotamian would be tricky. But there are a lot of things (or were a lot of things, not sure how many of them are still available) like the desert scene which might be worked with. I remember picking up a couple of sets called D'Scene and D'Alley from clearance (long enough ago for them to be disappearance by now) by an artist called Syama Pendersen, possibly under an artist name of syaped. There was a hotmail email handle in the readme, but that was dated 2008.

Probably was a bit too fantasy oriented for your purposes though. But the packages don't include the promos so I can't really offer examples.

Archon3D

Inspired
JOdel,

Thank you for responding to my post. I was starting to think no one would. I plan to purchase Meshbox's Egyptian Village Volume 1 in the very near future. Even though I wouldn't mind a few houses and/or apartments to complement Hanging Gardens, I think Meshbox's large set of Egyptian buildings would be sufficient. I already own Meshbox's Egyptian Village Volume 2. I could load in all the buildings and create instances of them to create the illusion of a city. The great thing about these products is they all have interiors. The interiors don't render very well in Iray, my favorite render engine. But they can be rendered in Reality or 3Delight. Yet I don't own Poser. So I'm not sure if they can be rendered in the SuperFly render engine.