• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HCS Pro makes hair too transparent

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I love the Hair Conversion System, but it does have one issue, that kind of drives me nuts. Or at least it's something that happens to me, and I don't know if other people have found a fix. After I convert a hair it becomes hard to see a lot of the hair in the preview, which makes it hard to add any last minute adjustments to say the head shape. Here's an example. This is the hair I'm working with currently. Here's the original, although I've translated it forward a little so Dawn's head isn't in the middle of it (it was made for V4):

You can see the where the bangs are sitting and how they fall in front of the face. But here's the same hair model once I've run in through HCS Pro:

And here's what the HCS version look like once I've rendered it:

So you can see the final render looks fine, but it's tricky if I want to use the morphs that are part of the hair, like for the bangs, or if I'm using a more extreme head shape and need to use those morphs. I have to do a render, and then try and guess what adjustments to make.

Now I have found that switching to either wireframe or cartoon with line display mode helps a lot. I can see much better where the actual hair model is, but I've had this happen with just about every hair I've converted and I was wondering if there was some sort of fix?

English Bob

Adventurous
I occasionally have a similar problem, not with HCS, but simply after applying a hair MAT pose. Sometimes it fixes itself if I go into the material room and select the invisible hair; that seems to force it to update the display somehow. Other times, it has to wait until I've saved and reloaded the scene. Do either of these situations apply to your problem?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Can it be connected to the "Show backfacing polygons" option or with the "Normals forward" option in the PoserSurface node?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I occasionally have a similar problem, not with HCS, but simply after applying a hair MAT pose. Sometimes it fixes itself if I go into the material room and select the invisible hair; that seems to force it to update the display somehow. Other times, it has to wait until I've saved and reloaded the scene. Do either of these situations apply to your problem?

Can it be connected to the "Show backfacing polygons" option or with the "Normals forward" option in the PoserSurface node?

Thanks for the ideas. Going into the material room and selecting the material didn't help. I also played with the Normals forward, and that didn't work either but. . . .

Going to the hair and making sure Show Backfacing Polygons was set to force show, instead of obey figure settings worked. Now it display fine, and I can adjust it as I need to without having to try and render. Thanks so much, I never would have thought of that one on my own.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks for the ideas. Going into the material room and selecting the material didn't help. I also played with the Normals forward, and that didn't work either but. . . .

Going to the hair and making sure Show Backfacing Polygons was set to force show, instead of obey figure settings worked. Now it display fine, and I can adjust it as I need to without having to try and render. Thanks so much, I never would have thought of that one on my own.

I have seen this with a few hair products after I have changed the material without any of them going through any conversion.

Well that is going to save me a lot of heartache in the future. Many Thanks