• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ever now and then...

eclark1894

Visionary
I need a little help and want to ask the community. There's no place specifically to ask this because it spans both software platforms. I spent all night last night making this, a glass of orange juice. The glass has a glass mat zone and a liquid mat zone. So it would seem to be simple... BUT, I want to make the juice and glass look realistic.... in both Poser AND Studio... okay and in Reality. But that's my problem. I need a basic glass shader for Firefly, Superfly, Iray, and 3Delight, and a juice/milk/liquid shader for those same render engines.

Can I get a little assistance Please? Also, Alisa, feel free to move this thread to another place if you can think of a better fit for it to be.

JUICE.png

eclark1894

Visionary
By the way, I know that doesn't look like real juice. i tried several different ways to make it look better, but couldn't hit upon the right combo of nodes in Blender.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Basic volumetric glass for Iray is in Studio examples in Ubershader shaders.
Superfly - BB tricky glass is on RDNA, also you can grab Ezskin3 and apply tricky cornea (same shader) to glass.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm not that concerned with Iray or Superfly as far as glass goes. I did manage to get in touch with BB about Firefly glass though. Still no luck with glass in 3Delight.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's a tricky job alright...are you going for a orange juice with or without bits? Because that would change the way it looks.

If you look at Fisty's glass shaders using UE that may give you a few tips on glass in 3Delight. I'm trying to remember if they were some of her free ones from a long time ago...

eclark1894

Visionary
That's a tricky job alright...are you going for a orange juice with or without bits? Because that would change the way it looks.

If you look at Fisty's glass shaders using UE that may give you a few tips on glass in 3Delight. I'm trying to remember if they were some of her free ones from a long time ago...
Just concerned with the liquid for now. It's going to be a concern for other things as well like...

beer.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So looking more for a clear liquid...Fisty also did some freebie water shaders that might give you a starting point for 3Delight. Unfortunately I don't have a link. She does have a shareCG account so it might be worth checking on there.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can do some print screens of the surface tab for you.

eclark1894

Visionary
I found something, but I haven't downloaded them yet. But I may need your help working with Studio's materials because I have zero idea of how to apply them.:unsure:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Generally with shaders you need to select the item in the scene tab and the surface you want to apply it to in the surface tab and then double click on the icon and it should apply. If you get stuck let me know...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't help much with the liquids materials... but for glass, I usually rely on reflection combined with opacity to get the glass appearance.

In Studio, reflections need something to reflect. So you'd need to have a decent skydome, or four walls surrounding the glass etc to get the look properly.

I usually drop Opacity down to about 5-8% for a drinking glass, and then I set my Reflection color to true white, and my Reflection Strength to about 75%. I also will set the Specular Color to either true white, or a slight, "light grey" color, and set the Specular Strength to about 60-65% as well. I don't use texture maps or reflection maps unless the surface is something very small like a metal button on a shirt, or a cabinet/door handle. For windows, drinking glasses, water, etc... I just use true Reflections. They take a little longer to render, but they look much better in the end.

Hope this helps.