• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DS 4.9.2.70 Iray Section Plane

Szark

Awesome
Anyone up to date with Daz Studio might find this helpful.

The last update included a Iray Section Plane found under the Create Menu.

Placing this Plane say behind a camera with tell the render engine to forget anything behind the camera but still render reflections correctly. A great time saver as I found out the other day. I just rendered a lizard and at Default Iray settings the image took 17 hours to render. When I included the Iray Section Plane, as shown in the image below, the exact same render came down to 2 hours. So when I rendered the Lizard a second time I increased the Iray quality settings to some very high setting and yes it took 18 hours but so did the very first one and much lower settings. :)

View attachment 14417

Selection Plane Node copy.jpg

Szark

Awesome
I am assuming these could be good a for windows a such, like the old Portals used to do but I haven't had a chance to play yet.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Good info, thank you... I'll probably forget it post haste but thanks! lmao :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Szark...I battling with rigging something at the moment but when I get chance I will try and investigate further.

Parmy

I found out about light portals the other day. Though Iray is optimized so well that Portals are seldom needed.

Daylight Portals in iray 2.0, Performance Issues

anyways a Point light, set to Geometry > Rectangle will open up a Light Portal ON/OFF switch. Just place the point light near the window concerned and Iray will make a best guess of where the window is. Yes the Portal only hints at were it is needed.

Do light portals work in Daz Studio 4.10?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm glad to be apart of this community.
If I haven't already welcomed you to the HiveWire forum's Parmy, let me do so now.

Oh, and thanks for posting your tutorials, as they look very interesting. :)