• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Does anyone or Hivewire have a suggested runtime folder structure already made up?

eclark1894

Visionary
I have some props I made and thought I'd give them away for free. Some earrings, and rings, stuff like that. But I want to try and give it away in a properly set up runtime structure. Hivewire, paganeagle, or Ramwolf used to have something like that, and I used to use them, but those are on another machine... somewhere, and it's been awhile since I gave anything away in a runtime.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There are 3 things to consider about props:

* Extract the geometry from the PP2 file. Put the OBJ on the Geometries folder, and link the PP2 to it.
* Put the PP2 on the props folder.
* If it's a "smart prop"", make sure to auto-parent it to the correct figure group in the PP2 file.

You can use a structure like:

Runtime/Geometries/eClark1894/YourPackageName/ <<== OBJs here
Runtime/Libraries/Props/YourPackageName/ <<== PP2s here
Runtime/Textures/eClark1894/YourPackageName/ <<== Textures here

Anything beyond that is personal preference.

Last edited:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ken forgot to add your name (eClark1894 (or however you want your name to be) in the folder for Textures:

Runtime/Textures/eClark1894/YourPackageName/

In terms of the "Libraries" folder, I like to see things in the same folder as the items for whatever figure they are for is in, so the customer has everything for that figure in one place. Of course, many people reorganize the Libraries folders anyway, but to me it's a nice start

So, for example, props for Dawn would go in

\Runtime\Libraries\Props\HiveWire 3D\Dawn\<<== Textures here

We don't have a lot of products with props for the figures - one example is the Cowboy Hat (gits for Dawn & Dusk) where the files are in

\Runtime\Libraries\Props\HiveWire 3D\Hats\

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, thanks for the heads up, Alisa. I have updated my post to include that. :) I am against adding vendor names to the libraries folder, though. People search content by figure, not by vendor. I personally find it hard having to remember the vendor name to find something.

eclark1894

Visionary
Oh yes, thanks for the heads up, Alisa. I have updated my post to include that. :) I am against adding vendor names to the libraries folder, though. People search content by figure, not by vendor. I personally find it hard having to remember the vendor name to find something.
Thanks for the answers. I'm pro vendor names though. I've lost files in the past and couldn't get them back because I couldn't remember the vendor's name. I try to keep back up files of any product I buy now, though. I haven't done it as much on this laptop though, but on my Mac, I have.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just to clarify for Earl (I know Ken and I have discussed this in the path and we don't have the same opinion here :)), my comment was not meaning that you add a folder with name of the vendor who is creating the product, but to place product add-ons is under the same folder where the original creator of the figure put their figure and its addons. Some vendors also like to add their personal name folder below that.

For example, if a Joe MyName created a house and put it under

Runtime\Libraries\Character\Joe MyName\The Great House\

and I was creating free or for-sale furniture meant specifically for that house, I would put it here:
Runtime\Libraries\Character\Joe MyName\The Great House\Furniture\

Personally, I move all my products around anyway and sort them, as I said, but I like to know who created it. :) So after I download, I'd change the folders to something like this:
Runtime\Libraries\Character\Buildings\Houses\GreatHouse_Joe MyName\Furniture_Alisa\
And then, I'd take the materials out of the material folder and stick them in subfolders.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I would advise against spaces in file names. Generally not an issue with newer versions of Windows, but not everyone uses Windows. And it can cause problems with some versions of 3D software...or at least it used to, from what I know. I had that problem with one of the products at my site. One of the testers had a problem and it went away when the spaces were removed in the fixed zip file.

Dana

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hmmm...haven't ever had a customer say that was an issue.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not now-a-days Alisa, but years ago I had issues with names that had spaces. It wasn't necessarily a Poser issue, IIRC, it may have been an early Windows issue.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I think Macs had troubles with spaces in file names, too. But, this issue was only a year or two ago.

Dana