• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DIY Virtual Home Store WIP

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I had nearly forgotten that this project was something that I started working on. The last time I worked on it was 2011.

I think it's about time that I finished it! ;)

The basic idea is to be able to build rooms of whatever size and shape you want, rather than having to take whatever a developer chose to make, and have full control over what materials you put on the walls and floor.

This is a demo I put together back then that illustrates the basic method of constructing a room and adding a floor. Whatever shape your room takes, the product can automatically make the floor for you (and ceiling).

To be able to see the parameters sliders and the content, please watch both videos full-screen.

This next video shows how to automatically add wallpaper which tiles seamlessly around the entire room.

Right now, I've made a blank wall and walls containing a door (which opens and closes), a picture window, and a double window (which goes up and down). My intention is to create more and different doors (front door, double door, French door, etc.), windows (various types and trims), walls with different floor molding and crown molding, rectangular and rounded arches, and anything else I can think of! There'd be a library of paint colors and wallpapers, exterior finishes (bricks, wood siding, etc.), things to fill the kitchen such as appliances, things to fill a bathroom like bathtubs and cabinets with sinks, etc., etc., etc.!!! The possibilities are endless!

This took an enormous amount of scripting and time! I don't want it all to go to waste, so I'm going to finish the product. It might still take quite a bit of time to do so, but not nearly as much as it has taken me so far, since the majority of scripting is done.

But first, I have to figure out where everything is and how to use I again! :p Five years is a long time to remember back to! :confused:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That's really cool. I could image that being a great tool for a lot of people. Although as someone who always drove themselves crazy when I tried to make my own houses in the Sims, probably not for me ;)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
That's really cool. I could image that being a great tool for a lot of people. Although as someone who always drove themselves crazy when I tried to make my own houses in the Sims, probably not for me ;)

Actually, I created a tool that makes the building easier. It's called the Easy Position Grid System". You can use it free-style or load a floor plan and build right on top of that. The positioning tool can be used with any props or figures.

It loads three planes with grids on them to represent the various axis's (x/y, x/z, y/z). You can inject sliders into any prop or figure (the sliders are already injected in the walls) for feet, inches, and 16th of an inch so it's easy to precisely place the walls.

This is a closeup of the grid - it's actually 100 x 100 x 100 feet (if I recall rightly).

Here it is with a floor plan added, sized to match the grid proportions (the floor plan measurements match the grids).

Here, the vertical planes have been hidden so that it's easier to work with.

It's actually more involved than that, but it would take too long to explain, but allows you to build a room or house that is the exact measurement's shown on you floor plan. If your plan includes landscaping, you can precisely position trees, bushes, flowers, and other props exactly where shown on the plan.

There will be video tutorials to explain.