• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DAZ Studio data folder

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
The things in the data folder are DAZ Studio's geometry files.

eclark1894

Visionary
So if I import a Poser object or Blender object into Studio, Then save it too the library, is that where Studio would put the geometry? Or do I have to place the geometry files there myself?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
True... thanks Pen & 3W - it's not just geometry...I was trying to simplify things by comparing it to the Geometry folder in Poser and that's really unfair to the way DS works -

Yes, all sorts of stuff like morphs and geometry and uvs are part of "data".

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It's more than Geometry Earl.

If you go into the folder for Hivewire and then Dawn/Base you will see that there is morphs, projection templates, tools(which includes things like clones) and uv sets as well as the base dawn file which has all the geometry info.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, the data folder contains the main data for building the figure or object, the uv's, the morphs, an all inclusive folder for a product. You would save out the product using the File>Save As> SupportAsset> Figure/Prop Assets or if it's a morph for a character (like say my Bruna morphs) you would choose Morph Asset(s)....

ScreenHunter_203 May. 21 08.16.jpg
ScreenHunter_204 May. 21 08.17.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
To add to that when you're saving a figure/prop asset a dialogue pops up which allows you to set the data for the product. At the top of this box is the author/vendor name and also an option to name the product. This is a good practice to get into. If you see the image above that Ram posted everything is in lovely neat folders. Which makes it easy to grab. Also by defining what it is in the remaining 4 sections it will do things like
1. First one will put a tag on the icon saying whether it's wardrobe, accessories, hair etc.,
2. Will place a copy of your product in the default library so if someone uses the default library they can find it easily under whatever you put in this section.
3. Will tell smart content if it's a texture for an outfit.
4. Is where you put the figure it's compatible with.

You'll also have the option underneath those items to click smart parenting.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Those tags we fill out are called "metadata", which are used to create all the necessary folders automatically - something we terribly lack in Poser. From a content creator's perspective, that's one thing I LOVE about DS - it knows where to place all contents we create by using (or reusing) metadata. I have hopes one day Poser will adopt this method. It's ridiculous that Poser is already in version 11 and it still doesn't know where to place it's geometry and textures. >_<

eclark1894

Visionary
For the record, Poser does allow you to fill out metadata info, but it doesn't do the automatic folder creation and placement.
BTW, what happens if you move a folder in DS from where it was created or placed?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Then the metadata is invalid. It's one of the kvetches about metadata. Be nice to write a script that "follows" the new folder location and rewrites the metadata on the fly. I'm sure someone will come up with that eventually!

eclark1894

Visionary
Then the metadata is invalid. It's one of the kvetches about metadata. Be nice to write a script that "follows" the new folder location and rewrites the metadata on the fly. I'm sure someone will come up with that eventually!
Can a user edit the metadata? Tell it where he moves it to?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Not that I'm aware of. Creating metadata is no small task. I did that for my first pose pack in the store. Mind you, poses are easy as it's one inclusive product but if you have a clothing sets with mats with multiple items ... it's a bit hairy. I forewent doing metadata for my upcoming Training Gear stack that's just been uploaded. Too much hassle I may, when I get some time (yea right) and do proper meta data for the products but then there are those that like to move folders around, I get it but for meta data you move a folder then the metadata is no good.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It would depend how it was edited. If I create a category for it or use duplicate a category it shouldn't upset anything...if I then export the user data it will remember it for me.