• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DAZ Studio 4.9 SSS Skin Fix Partial Shader for Iray

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I haven't bought any DAZ content in like 4 months and I guess most of the reason is I am annoyed that I can't use G3 in Poser plus recent content is meh. But now I am really bummed out as Stonemason made a beautiful environment that is only usable in DAZ studio. He is one of my favorite artists and I love his work so I really wonder why he doesn't support Poser anymore.
First, I haven't actually found many of the Daz Gen3 stuff all that interesting. There has been one or two things that caught my eye but I have seen some fantastic characters for them at RDNA and Rendo...I'm really pleased that Syd and some of the others at RDNA are doing stuff for Gen3.

Second...over at RDNA there was a thread where Stonemason posted about how it wasn't worth it and he found Poser difficult/annoying to work with. He posted after speculation in the thread about how Daz were deliberately asking vendors to stop doing Poser stuff. The reality is that some vendors find Poser difficult to work with.

On a side note: Recently some very kind people were creating outfits for my Diva morph...it wasn't possible to rig these in Poser as they were Diva size not Dawn size but I was able to use reverse source to rig them in DS and also to provide a way to get them into Poser. I'm not sure if there is a way to get them into Poser when objects have been modeled on a morph. One of my frustrations with Poser is so much of what I needed to do I needed to get scripts for like Netherwork's ToyBox(great tool by the way) whereas in DS I don't need to get anything else to do these things. Some of this is possibly due to my lack of knowledge of Poser and it may well be that there are ways to do these things that I just don't know. I'm not trying to criticize or say one program is better than the other here just that some people find it easier to work with one and not the other.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I just altered the title back to iray alone as that is what it was intended, its late and my brain is cafuddled lol.

LOL, I shoulda just left it as I did it at first :p

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Second...over at RDNA there was a thread where Stonemason posted about how it wasn't worth it and he found Poser difficult/annoying to work with. He posted after speculation in the thread about how Daz were deliberately asking vendors to stop doing Poser stuff. The reality is that some vendors find Poser difficult to work with.

When P11 came out I was all hyped up, but to be honest I found the materials a right pain in the proverbial. The pauline stuff I made I had to do two types of mats for (well, one but with two posersurfaces for SFly and FFly but understood that would be needed before I got the programme)However, I found that some of the materials in P10 and before didn't look the same in P11, I can't understand how they can say it's backward compatible, unless it's still buggy and needs more attention in service packages. If I was to make something to cover all options for all poser versions I'd have to do a pre p11, SFly p11 and FFly p11 mats, that's 3 times what I did before. SFly renders very slow and as my pc is only 4 months old and 6th generation with a TA card, it's not gonna speed up anytime soon. Poser also hangs a lot when going from rendered view to preview, which daz does not.
I decided to try out DAZ at christmas and since then found it far easier to use than expected. I do miss the old poser mat room though, I will continue to do poser stuff as it's part of me, (lol like losing a limb if I didn't use it) but wont be doing all the additional mats, not until it's mainstream which it still isn't, I will just stick to FFly mats and leave SFly stuff to someone else.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Have you tried Shadermixer Dawn? That's probably the closest to the material room nodes...so of the nodes are a bit different to the Poser ones though.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I had a look at it a while back, but not ventured there yet, I like spaghetti :)

Hi,

how to use this shader?
I click Genesis 3 Famale and in Shader Presets I select Lully and try to apply it. Then I want to render with Iray and it doesn't change anything.
Is it really compatible with Iray? Am I doing something wrong?

Best wishes

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
You need to have both the figure selected and the surfaces selected in the surfaces tab to apply a shader preset; from what I can gather all this does is alter the Iray settings to compensate for the changes made to iray from DS 4.8 to 4.9.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Boy, I would sure like something like that for Poser. I often find SSS skins make the character look as if she's never seen the light of day. Well, maybe not that bad, but except for DawnSE's SSS_MedSkin, I've not seen a vendor create SSS character skins that didn't make the character look sickly.

I wish I knew more about Poser skin shaders to make one that's somewhere between DawnSE's SSS_MedSkin and her SSS_PaleSkin. I've used EZSkin2 on V4 a couple of times, and have EZSkin3 for PP11, but other than using the default settings, I haven't a clue how to get the effect I want. ~sigh~

The problem is that some vendors are adding gama to the settings and should leave it alone.
It is only needed in the renders if the skin is too dark and in the render settings is where it belongs, not the material settings.
I never add it to my setting as I choose to let the user decide if they want it or not. :)