• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Cloth Room Woes

Poser is driving me nuts right now. No matter what I do I cannot get a simulation to work correctly in the Cloth Room. It worked last week just fine and I am doing it the same way as far as I know but when the simulation completes the screen blinks, and then what I am left with is the clothing posed just the way it was when I started the simulation. I just cannot figure what I am doing wrong. I have gone back and followed several tutorials including the one @Satira Capriccio made for her Nouvelle Aube set with no luck. Then to make it even weirder after getting nothing to work for the last two days I opened up an old scene I had that had a cloth room simulation in it. I reran that simulation and it worked fine. So I made a new scene, used the same figure, same clothing and same simulation settings and it didn't work. The simulation looks fine when running but again at the end it didn't save it... Anyone have any ideas what I have messed up?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Make sure your slider is at the end of the simulation - at the last frame.

I know it seems obvious, but I've done it before........;-)

Darryl

Adventurous
Sometimes my sim won't show until I nudge the camera a tad or click the item. Then it falls into place. Also check that your Dynamics slider is set to 1 in the item's properties panel.

It is at the final frame, and nudging the camera and clicking on items don't seem to work. Also the slider is on 1 throughout all the frames. I have rebooted several times, restarted poser like 20 times, used dawn as the figure, andy as the figure and lots of different clothing and I can't get anything to work. About ready to reinstall pp11.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I've had that happen before and it can have a lot of causes. It could be an issue with a bad file in the scene, although it sounds like you've tried lots of different models so that's probably not it. I've seen it be a memory issue (at least that's what I think it is) and if I restart it works.

But here's my best guess based on what you said here:
So I made a new scene, used the same figure, same clothing and same simulation settings and it didn't work. The simulation looks fine when running but again at the end it didn't save it... Anyone have any ideas what I have messed up?

There's probably a set of bad collisions somewhere and even though it looks like it's calculated everything correctly, it gives up on the last frame. For instance, if you were trying to have a figure 'pick' up a piece of cloth between their fingers, it would likely go badly, because one finger would be pushing the cloth in one direction, and another finger would be pushing it back the other way, and the simulation can't decide where it's supposed to end up.

Can you show us a picture of the pose you are trying to use? That might help.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That was a problem with PP11 when it was first released and one of the major reasons I stopped using PP11. PP11 uses a different file to store simulations from earlier versions, and it seemed Poser just couldn't remember the new file.

It may have been fixed with one of the service releases. I still don't run simulations in PP11, so I don't know if it's still a problem or not.

Make sure you have the most recent service release installed and see if that fixes it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That was a problem with PP11 when it was first released and one of the major reasons I stopped using PP11. PP11 uses a different file to store simulations from earlier versions, and it seemed Poser just couldn't remember the new file.

It may have been fixed with one of the service releases. I still don't run simulations in PP11, so I don't know if it's still a problem or not.

Make sure you have the most recent service release installed and see if that fixes it.

Hi Satira! I just tested dynamics in P11 for another HW CA and it works fine in Service Release 5. I don't think I tried sims in P11 before, but really don't remember.

I still don't know what is going on so have uninstalled PP11 and am going to reinstall it. It just won't save any simulations at all for me, and I have tried with probably 8 different pieces of dynamic clothing using very simple poses on both Andy and Dawn. I was using the latest service pack 11.0.5. I am wondering if it somehow was a UAC issue. I am using Windows 10 and it had a security update for Adobe Flash Player and Windows 10 itself between when the simulations saved and now when they do not. This is just frustrating as heck.

Well reinstall worked... No idea why but it did. I just hope it keeps working. I'm just annoyed it took me 3 days to figure this out.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Glad you got it working. I wonder if something with administrator access or permissions changed when those Windows/Flash updates ran? I'm on a mac, but I have had permissions issues affect cloth simulations also. I'm pretty sure there is a point where the sim moves from being in one of Posers temporary working files, to it being wherever the scene file is, and I sometimes wonder if something goes wrong there.

Darryl

Adventurous
Don't forget to save the simulation results as a morph on the clothing object. It'll save you some grief if the Cloth Room goes wonky again.