• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Can Genesis work in early versions of Poser?

eclark1894

Visionary
I know the title sounds strange, but I have to go through a vendor's store to see what products are compatible with Poser before I can list them in my directory as a Poser vendor. For the record, I'm NOT leaving a vendor out just because they make Studio compatible products. They just have to have a significant enough number of Poser products in their store. So anyway, I'm checking out this one vendor's store at Renderosity, and the description reads that this product, which is a material set add-on for a One Shoulder Dress for the Genesis 2 females. Now the dress does have a cr2 file so it is compatible to Poser 9 and higher, but this explicitly states that it's works in Poser 7 and 8. So what am I missing?

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Text on promo says "pro 2012 and higher". So it's error from RS or matfiles can work from P7 and up.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Genesis and Genesis 2 cannot work in anything earlier than Poser 9/PP2012 as they are weightmapped and no previous version of poser supports weightmapping.

eclark1894

Visionary
Genesis and Genesis 2 cannot work in anything earlier than Poser 9/PP2012 as they are weightmapped and no previous version of poser supports weightmapping.
That's what I thought. But I've seen a couple of vendors at least, both at Renderosity, btw, say that they're product works in Poser. Now I know that you can run Genesis stuff through DSON for it to work in Poser 9+, but 8 and 7? No way. Either way, doesn't matter I suppose, as I don't list DSON stuff.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If they are textures, they may have been made in a way that would let them work in 7+, or someone mismarked it.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I didn't say it was logical or reasonable. The nice answer was someone mismarked it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Is .DUF hair the same as a Poser obj.? Would I have to do anything to get it to work in Poser? I'm looking at some Hair by Swam, and it's the same thing as the clothes for Genesis. The hair says it will work on V4 and G2. There are Poser texture packs that come with it. But I'm adamant about products working natively in Poser. If I have to convert it or run it through DSON, I'm not listing it.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Swam is usually pretty good about having files for V4 that are in the Poser format, using DS files in poser, doesn't work. You have to export the item from DS in a poser compatable format.

Leana

Enthusiast
When hair is marketed for Genesis figures and V4 there are usually 2 packages, one for V4 in poser format and one for Genesis in DS format.

DUF files won't work in Poser natively. DSON is required.
Swam has some hair packs that include Poser versions for V4, while others are completely Studio only.

In fact, I believe this was a Swam hair product.
Check if there's an OBJ. Though I think all her latests hair items are Studio only.

Oh and I noticed for the DAZ store: sometimes an item is working natively in Poser, but Poser is not listed under compatible software. So you need to check under What's Included to be sure.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it when a store lists an item as compatible for Poser and it's not. I don't consider DSON as Poser compatible and won't list a vendor who uses it... unless he has a lot of old Poser stuff.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Well, at least you can test for yourself. Personally I remember buying Poser 9 so I could use DSON. Also, I've dealt with the same issue. I've even written the vendors and asked them directly if this item or that item would work in Poser. Sometimes I think they may mistakes and list it as Poser compatible when it's not. Sometimes I wonder if they are baiting and switching. My favorite so far was one vendor who when I asked if I could use their Genesis 3 hair in Poser, stated they don't have to Poser on their machine so they have no way to test or know...when their store and personal website has literally a hundred different Poser products. It was like saying their machine can't hold two software applications.

Really?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
How old was the poser stuff on their store and personal website? They could have done what other poser creators have done, and gone DS only.