• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Art 3d Philosophy and History

Carey

Extraordinary
I updated PSP through version 9, but never went further, as I had already started playing with Photoshop.

I still have PSP 7 installed, and use it for quick things like screenshots and such. I don't use it anymore for postwork on my 3D renders, or playing in FilterForge to create textures.

I found that ps elements suit my needs just fine, far as I know it is the current version. I also use a mac program called intensify.. Course I am given in to dramatics and playing with light right now...lol I generally stay one version behind the most current version to save money when purchasing... coral painter 2016, gimp, and pixelmator rounds out all the art programs I use...

Hornet3d

Wise
Sweet holy halibuts... Ray Dream Studio...
I had Infini-D...
That was long before Ray Dream and Infini-D got jiggy and gave birth to Carrara.
I think I had Ray Dream too, but I never really used it...
I got Infini-D and Bryce from work... We got it for a project but the client changed their mind about what they wanted so my friend who owned the place gave it to me because he wasn't going to use it.
I used to get a lot of software from work in those days.
Bryce was what got me into modeling non-prototype stuff... AKA: non-boring stuff... Initially I loved Bryce's surreal look and alien landscaping abilities.
I had lots of fun making weird Boolean spacecraft and alien artifacts.
That was seriously a lot better then messing with Ashlar's Vellum, which is what we used at work.

I had forgotten Bryce, I came to that through Daz and loved the strange landscapes everyone was creating, I think that was what moved me deeper into Daz and Poser with a desire to populate my worlds. I continued to use Bryce for quite a while and only moved to Vue after Bryce became frozen in time.

Hornet3d

Wise
I updated PSP through version 9, but never went further, as I had already started playing with Photoshop.

I still have PSP 7 installed, and use it for quick things like screenshots and such. I don't use it anymore for postwork on my 3D renders, or playing in FilterForge to create textures.

I have stuck with PSP even though I know that Photoshop does everything it does and some more but it tends to use different names for similar features. So I have a similar problem here as I go with DS and Poser, I have nothing against any of the programs I am just lazy and don't want to relearn methods to do what I already can do. I was well into PSP long before 3D due to my interest in photography and my purchase of a digital camera. Sitting in front of the PC screen instead of being in a darkroom with dishes of smelly chemicals was a real improvement but Photoshop was out of my price range at the time. I was worried when Corel took the program over from JASC as I had already been using it for a few years by then and was worried where the change of ownership would lead. In fairness I think they have done a good job and kept it updated although I did not upgrade every time and missed about three updates in a row. I have purchased the last couple and it has become a lot faster, probably from being 64bit, and there have been improvements. I don't know how the brushes work in Photoshop but the clone brush now shows what you are about to apply rather than what is underneath. As I use the clone brush tool and background eraser extensively this is a good improvement for me. The crop tool is much improved in the latest versions and the selection tool seems better too. The addition of a cut down version of the Athentec Imaging is also a big plus and, as you can see from my renders I make regular use of the other included plug in ParticleShop. Much of this may well be just playing catch up with Photoshop but it has made the upgrade worthwhile for me and, if you wait for the sale, upgrade prices are not usually too bad.

James R.

Busy Bee
I found that ps elements suit my needs just fine, far as I know it is the current version. I also use a mac program called intensify.. Course I am given in to dramatics and playing with light right now...lol I generally stay one version behind the most current version to save money when purchasing... coral painter 2016, gimp, and pixelmator rounds out all the art programs I use...

Pixelmator is very good. Sure can’t beat the price!

I recently got Affinity Photo for Mac... easily as powerful as Photoshop, and a much lower price. It has quickly gained a lot of respect in the graphic design world.
Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software

I think there is a Windows version being worked on.

EDIT: There is a Windows version now.

Carey

Extraordinary
You know when I started this, I was typing with one finger, but I have had to do that for a while, but then comes this nagging shoulder ache.. see lucky me I am one of the people gets nerve damage from the shingles, now I don't need a violin or wine with any of this, it is just that while I will continue to crack bad jokes, I will be delayed responding and guiding this exploration of the artists mind and my replies may be short or in parts to any one person. As to typing skills, ever try slowing down a mind used to thinking in five hundred word bursts and slow it down to the speed of one finger typing, well don't, it will drive you nuts while making you sound crazy at the same time. and if you suspect I really am nuts just remember most people have stopped playing with dolls and dress up long before they reach our age and I don't want any of you to show up at my sanity hearing...lol

James R.

Busy Bee
You know when I started this, I was typing with one finger, but I have had to do that for a while, but then comes this nagging shoulder ache.. see lucky me I am one of the people gets nerve damage from the shingles, now I don't need a violin or wine with any of this, it is just that while I will continue to crack bad jokes, I will be delayed responding and guiding this exploration of the artists mind and my replies may be short or in parts to any one person. As to typing skills, ever try slowing down a mind used to thinking in five hundred word bursts and slow it down to the speed of one finger typing, well don't, it will drive you nuts while making you sound crazy at the same time. and if you suspect I really am nuts just remember most people have stopped playing with dolls and dress up long before they reach our age and I don't want any of you to show up at my sanity hearing...lol

I relate to the "500 word bursts versus one finger typing" Carey. My mind is like a browser that constantly has 48 tabs open!

Carey

Extraordinary
I relate to the "500 word bursts versus one finger typing" Carey. My mind is like a browser that constantly has 48 tabs open!
Well I was sort of exaggerating, really it is only two or three sentences, you on the other hand are truly weird...lol Seriously there are some great talking points here and I wanted to respond to many of them, but I sort of forgot I have limitations.

You could get one of those Speech to Text converters.
Then you would say;
"This system is fraught with problems"
and it would print;
THIS IS DUMB AS FROG WITH PROD LUNGS

Carey

Extraordinary
You could get one of those Speech to Text converters.
Then you would say;
"This system is fraught with problems"
and it would print;
THIS IS DUMB AS FROG WITH PROD LUNGS
I do have this, but I share my computer room with six talking parrots...lol

Carey

Extraordinary
Just thought I'd share this: Seems bears are a lot smaller then they were just a few years ago, yep, Stopped by the donut shop the other day and bear claws were almost half the size they used to be just a few hunting seasons ago. well, guess that is what I get for hunting out of season...

James R.

Busy Bee
Just thought I'd share this: Seems bears are a lot smaller then they were just a few years ago, yep, Stopped by the donut shop the other day and bear claws were almost half the size they used to be just a few hunting seasons ago. well, guess that is what I get for hunting out of season...

What you found there was your basic domestic bear claw, grown on government sanctioned ranches in the Upper Outer West Hebrides (turn left at South Dakota and you’ll get there eventually). Not many people know about this.

Carey

Extraordinary
The general rule around here is if it tastes good, I can't have it As far as parrot juice goes there nothing in a parrot I would care to run through a juicer...lol seriously, our parrots aren't really into juices

Last edited: