• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

All Artist Resources

D

Deleted member 325

If you are an artist, in the United States (or even elsewhere that deals with persons in the U.S.) and you are or considering becoming freelance, you should really look this page over.

Graphic Artist Guild of America

I was a member for a long time before the internet - and they had a lot of resources. You don't need to be a member to find useful tools and discussions there - and there handbook )even the outdated copy I have from the early 90's) is invaluable.

"Only by banding together as artists and setting standards can we insure we are not undervaluing one another, or our own talents." ~Mark A. Fares

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
If you are an artist, in the United States (or even elsewhere that deals with persons in the U.S.) and you are or considering becoming freelance, you should really look this page over.

Graphic Artist Guild of America

I was a member for a long time before the internet - and they had a lot of resources. You don't need to be a member to find useful tools and discussions there - and there handbook )even the outdated copy I have from the early 90's) is invaluable.

"Only by banding together as artists and setting standards can we insure we are not undervaluing one another, or our own talents." ~Mark A. Fares

A great organization with loads of valuable information and helpful people. Their handbook is a great "bible" for the biz, even earlier editions. I was also a member for many years, especially when I ran my own design/illus biz.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary

I guess he wrote that before we had the internet and outsourcing of CG work to Asia etc. :)
But it's a good resource all the same.

D

Deleted member 325

The internet was sort of around, but not nearly in the way we think of it today. That was aid in the early 90's. I still think it's a good quote and still should apply.
Sadly though, I have lost many contracts when I freelanced more aggressively to the business owners who tried to get something for nothing because they would say "I can get a college kid to do this for half as much." To which I would always tell them to go ahead, my prices are fair and based on my experience, professionalism (I was a lot more professional and outgoing back then) and skill set. I would always keep in touch with a client as the work progressed to insure the end result was what they wanted. Concept sketches to proofs, to rough draft, to final concept draft, to finished piece/work/media...etc. I would offer delivery in chosen physical or digital media including specific graphics format and DPI, color Seps where needed... the whole nine yards. I still do most of that for what freelance work I still take on.

These days we have the Internet Contest Scams, Constant seekers of work on spec, etc... In fact I just saw a post that was a combination of both over in the Smith Micro forums this week.